Sign in to follow this  
sammimag

How much yarn?

Question

So you are at Michaels (or you favorite yarn shoppin' place) and there is some yarn you just love or it's on sale...

I'd love some kind of rule of thumb to know how much yarn to get if I want to make a baby blanket, baby sweater, poncho, afgahn etc...

I'm mostly using ww yarn. Is there any tip like that out there?

Samantha

4 answers to this question

I think that three or four skiens would be good. I know that is what I use depending on the size you want. A sweater and skirt I made for my daughter in a size two only took one and a half.

I usually pick up two skeins. But I don't make large projects. Almost none of what I make takes more than one skein. (I usually make baby stuff.)

I don't know of any general rule. It all depends on so many factors. The type of stitch being used, the type of yarn, the hook size, how tightly you crochet, even the color of the yarn because dark colors weigh more than light colors so you'll get a bit less yardage for the same weight.

My best advice is to do some pattern hunting, look over different patterns for the types of things you like to create, and get a range of yardage required. I did something similar a while back. I went through patterns for several different things using different types of yarns and made a list. Then I did some research on those yarns to figure out how many yards per skein, since a skein of Red Heart Super Saver is different from a skein of a similar worsted weight by some other company.

Once you know average yardage for something like a poncho or a blanket or whatever, then you'll have an idea of how much to buy when you find something you like. Assuming you find something and know you want to make a poncho (or whatever) out of it.

When I find something I like but have no idea what I might want to do with it, I try to buy enough to make a scarf. That way I can play with the yarn, learn how it works, decide if I like the feel etc. Then if I like it, I can later plan a bigger project if I want. Scarves make excellent gifts, so I figure I can never have enough scarves on hand ;)

Check out PurlSoho. There's plenty of places that give approximate yardages for various projects and yarns, but this one is organized well, according to yarn weight.

Good luck.