Advice on digital camera bag

Nadine

Question

So, my honey bought me a brand new digital camera for Valentines :yay Actually it's the first I've ever owned! I was thinking of crocheting it a cute case. The plan was to crochet (and possibly felt) the outside, then line the inside with polar fleece. I was discussing this with my coworker today and he said not to use fleece, becuse of the static electricity it would hurt the camera. Is this true? The reasons why I wanted to line it with the fleece were that, a) I wanted to cushion the bag a little bit and b) I was not sure if the felted wool would be too scratchy against the LCD screen. :think Any help would be much appreciated :manyheart Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I don't know about the fleece, but if it is a concern, line it with cotton or some other soft material. I made a felted bag to carry things around in, one of those things being my camera, and I never had any issues with scratching of the screen, granted I don't carry it in there all the time but I toted it around Holland for a week in the bag, along with lots of other little odds and ends and no scratches.

And congrats on the camera =) I was tickled pink when hubby bought mine :c9 Enjoy!

I'd agree with no fleece. I fried the LEDs on my DVD player by just walking across the floor and then touching it. Big spark! eep!

You can also buy those plastic sheet screen protectors. My digital camera screen got scratched by the zipper on the case I bought for it. :( I wish I'd gotten the plastic screen protectors earlier!

I made a nice felted cozy for my digital camera and I haven't encountered any problems with it. I agree with one of the previous posts that maybe lining it would give you a safeguard. I like the felted cozy I made as it fits perfectly and matches my cell cozy and a tote I made so I have a complete set...

crochet022.jpg

I just got a new digital camera also and am most of the way through making a case for it that I plan to felt. I wasn't even considering lining it and now I am slightly worried. I never even considered the possibility of the wool scratching the screen. I think I'll stick to my original plan, though, since some of you have done it and had no problems.

And to get back to the OP, I agree that fleece would probably be a bad idea for the lining--it really does create a lot of static.

Thanks everyone for the advice! And Wren-- enjoy your new camera also :woo I think I'll probably felt the case then line it with a cotton, maybe put a bit of stuffing between the two layers? We'll see, I have soooo many WIPs right now it's ridiculous! :oops But the camera bag is a priority for me, since I haven't even taken the camera out of the house for fear that something will happen to it :lol

as a photographer, as well as a crochetier, i'd not only line it with cotton, but i'd use a thin foam btwn the wool and cotton liner. if you bang your camera around, you could end up damaging it even inside a felted wool case. i'm extremely protective of my equipment...it's part of how i make money

Archived