What can I make with a scratchy yarn???

sakurasaku

Question

I have 6 skeins (~150g per skein?) of really coarse, rough, scratchy 100% wool yarn. It's bulky and the color is variegated gray and white, but mostly gray. I inherited it from a friend's mother...

I tried knitting a swatch (didn't try crocheting...yet), but it is just way too stiff and scratchy for a sweather or any wearables. If you have any good ideas on what I can do with it, I would really appreciate it!

13 answers to this question

well, the first thing that comes to mind is a car seat covers;) ... but that's a good question. If it's not a wearable then you move onto afghans or decorative 'things'... HEY, what about those mukuluk boots and sew a vinyl sole onto the bottom... I dunno:think... just found your question interesting... I'll keep following the thread and see if someone else comes up with something!

If it is so scratchy, it will not be pleasant to work with so my suggestion is to pass it on to someone who weaves.

Or give it to the cat to play with.

It is not worth wearing the skin off your hands with a rough yarn and it is even worse when it is thick.

Sometimes it pays to cut your losses and not try to use every yarn you have.

Sorry.

Colleen.:hug

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions! I went home and checked the brand; it's Mary Maxim's Northland yarn with a very dated picture on the label.

I will definitely try either a bag or a rug, although if I find it very unpleasant to work with, I'll follow Aggie May's advice!

You are such a super bunch of crocheters.

Archived