People who are rude about crocheted items...

I would have told her it was handmade by my grandmother, who gave it to me on her deathbed. Then I would have started crying.

That sounds like something I'd say! :lol

To some people if something is made by hand and has flaws in it, well then it's worthless to them

Tell that to the Amish. They purposely make at least one mistake in every quilt they make because they believe only God can make perfect things. ;)

It sounds to me like she was envious. People who are insecure have to put others down in order to make themselves feel superior.

I don't think she was envious. I have no doubt she was insecure though because you're right; insecure people say mean things all the time to make themselves feel better.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know the Amish aren't the only ones to deliberately put a flaw in their work for that reason...the Native Americans (don't know which tribe) do the same. When I heard that I lightened up considerably on my personal perfectionism and had more fun and better results too...

I totally agree with you about the insecurity thing...

yeah, everyone is correct that this person is just miserable, and we all know misery loves company...

i get a lot of compliments on my garments, as i know we all do, because crocheted work is beautiful, homemade is awesome, so knowing that you (or someone else) took the love and care to create a beautiful garment... now THAT is something special!

as far as the 'nasty' people, I work in criminal court and you wanta talk about a 'pit of misery' - the employees and the, um, clients... (though a percentage of the clients are brought in in handcuffs) but they generally don't have a whole lot nice to say ABOUT ANYTHING!!!

I do notice some sort of 'prejudice' or something in crochet versus knitting - I was just at JoAnn's Crafts and there were three ROWS of knitting magazines (not instruction books, but periodicals) and there were TWO crochet magazines total... hmmm....

Oh yeah...about the knitting versus crochet...I do a slow burn...over here in the PX...there are 3 rows of QUILTING magazines...and SCRAPEBOOKING magazines...knitting...maybe a couple, crochet...zilch...until the other day there was 1 Crochet World magazine...more slow burn...which is why I have subscriptions to 4 different crochet magazines...

I don't know, I might have to start a revolution...but for now, I'm going back to my crocheting and then I'm going to bed...

OMG! I've had a couple of people pull that "too much time on your hands" on me and I swear the next one to say that to me will get an earful...that is incredibly rude...I don't blame you for not wanting to call back...

I just tell them, "Yep, I've got too much time on my hands to waste it on people like you." :yuck Please. :rolleyes

I've made my mom several things and she says she gets more compliments on my "inferior" handmade items than anything else in her wardrobe. :manyheart So nyah to the rude, ignorant, classless anti-poncho lady. :neener

There is a stigma attached to crochet??! Seriously?? *blink, Blink* You know I must just be better at ignoring stupid people than I thought. I work for Reliable Office Supplies as a telephone rep and when we were in the old call center they used to let me crochet between calls when it was slow. I even had a supervisor that went out on her lunch break and got a pattern and yarn when I was bored and asked me if I would make her an afghan and one of the managers used to take me off the phone so she could see what project I was working on at the moment. Now in the new location, you can read trashy romance novels or do crossword puzzles between calls, but goddess forbid you do anything that accomplishes something, oh like crochet, but I still take my yarn bag to breaks and on lunches and so on. I have even managed to get the ladies on either side of me hooked (pun intended) and they are crocheting as well. I think its now up to 5 of us now that will sit and crochet on breaks. Maybe its just that I hang around a tattoo shop on weekends full of creative different people that appreciate original design and hand crafted work, but I have been lucky enough to never have anyone make a nasty comment. Of course I am also 5' 10" and a very big girl so they may just be scared I will pound them. LOL

I would have told her it was handmade by my grandmother, who gave it to me on her deathbed. Then I would have started crying.

I know this is an old post, but someone else replied and it was at the top, so I had to read the whole thread...

Sue, this was GREAT!!! I SOOO needed the laugh tonight! Thank you (even though you did it last year).

Mali

I do notice some sort of 'prejudice' or something in crochet versus knitting - I was just at JoAnn's Crafts and there were three ROWS of knitting magazines (not instruction books, but periodicals) and there were TWO crochet magazines total... hmmm....

I noticed this the other day at Walmart. I didn't blame it on a prejudice against crochet, I blamed it on the fact that I only recently taught myself to crochet and like it more than I like to knit...go figure. So it was me that caused it, not some prejudice against crochet. I'M SORRY!!!! :blush

Mali

:think Isnt it funny how human nature works.

We never forget the negative comment, even though there was only one, but the good comments are not enough to make us feel better.

When I had my shop, I only ever had 2 nasty customers, but thousands of nice ones. I still remember what the nasy ones said even though it is more than 20 years later.

:think We are funny animals.

:eek Maybe we need to look at it with pity for the person who was nasty and imagine that maybe her cat died that morning or maybe she was just a nasty miserable person who has no friends. It is her problem and not yours.

:think Maybe the next person who is like that can be reminded, "If you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all."

:think Talking about Martha Stewart. We now have her on our TV, on 2 channels, and I must say I find her very condecending (SP) to some people.

:think Some of her ideas are not very new and she often puts things over as if she thought of them herself.

:think I really dont think she should have gone to jail but what great publicity for her shows.

:cheer Oh well, I guess that is what "Celebrity" is all about.

Have fun and dont let the negative comments put you off. We are all behind you.

Colleen

Oh, my, that's terrible!

The only people I've gotten rude comments from were knitters who were sneering that "only in crochet do you get stupid Santa toilet paper covers." The other lady in that group was trying to correct her that in knitting you can get patterns for the same silly things. ;)

Well, okay, I will admit that only in crochet do you get the stupid Santa toilet paper covers, but you know, it's because it's SO MUCH EASIER to shape things in crochet than in knitting. To me, crochet is just so much more three dimensional than knitting. Knitting has lovely ease and drape but crochet has such structure!

I guess you could knit one if you wanted but I would choose to crochet it -- if I were going to make a toilet paper cover -- but there are lots of cool things you can do with the same concept. Like make a felted bag or a basket or whatever.

Some people. :think

I thought maybe stuff like this just happened to me. It never fails that when I buy yarn, someone will ask me "So, I guess you're a knitter?" Last summer, I made a purse for my mom, and when people asked where she got her "knitted purse" she'd tell them her daughter crocheted it for her. We were both shocked that the only thing people say is a sharp "oh" and have this look on their face like my stuff isn't as nice now that it's not knitted after all.

Very strange, but where I live, there is a very strong preference towards knitting. I've really never understood why people are so snobby about it. I too have come to the conclusion that many people are jealous because they don't do this themselves. I particularly came to that conclusion after I showed a friend some of the things I made and the ONLY thing she could say was "Well it's nice you have something to do to take up your time. Hello! I have nice stuff if I do say so myself. It wouldn't have killed her to at least say she liked something. Yet, I know she didn't say anything because she doesn't know how to do anything crafty.

I noticed this the other day at Walmart. I didn't blame it on a prejudice against crochet, I blamed it on the fact that I only recently taught myself to crochet and like it more than I like to knit...go figure. So it was me that caused it, not some prejudice against crochet. I'M SORRY!!!! :blush

Mali

I think the fact that crocheting is not as wide-spread as knitting makes it all the more special. Maybe I am a bit backwards because I have been a knitter and only started crocheting recently, but I am amazed at the beauty of stitches possible in crochet. It's too bad that some people don't understand it, and it's sad that some people choose to be rude about it, but I treasure the fact that I discovered this "best-kept secret".

I am very happy to have joined the ranks of such talented, artistic, and caring people :manyheart I'm not saying that I'm any of those things, but perhaps some day I'll make beautiful things in crochet and I sure put lots of love into every item I make!

Crochet rules.

Maybe it's because kids my age don't know which is which, but mostly they ask "What are you making?" Not "What are you knitting/crocheting?" And at school one of my teachers calls me the "Mad Knitter" because I knit as well, but a few of the girls always correct him when I'm actually crocheting.

I have not received ANY insults about my craftiness. People my age are really respectful and think it's really cool. The only sad thing is that none of them think that they could do it too!

You know it sounds to me like this woman just wanted somebody to pick on. She knew very well that people had started wearing ponchos again, or she wouldn't have known about Martha Stewart's poncho and the mini-craze it launched. She's just probably one of those people who hate the look of ponchos, wish they hadn't come back in style, and wanted to launch her complaint with somebody, anybody who represents this perceived assault on her fashion sense. Either that or she was mad about her financial situation (strictly going by the fact that she was in a cash advance store that also does taxes) and took it out on someone who wasn't in a position to fight back without risking their job. People do that to those in customer service positions all the time. It doesn't really matter what her motivation was because there's no excuse for that kind of rudeness. I wouldn't recommend making up a story about a dead grandmother because that's like apologizing for your garment when you're actually proud of it.

When I was in retail I remember having one very bad morning when I was required to not only get my morning stock work done while selling to my customers, but was interrupted to go cover the department of a guy who was always missing on Mondays. When I got back I was behind in my work and in a crummy mood to wait on my customers. The next customer I got must've received some pretty lousy service from me because her parting words were "I hope your day gets better because it's obviously off to a very bad start." I highly recommend using this statement to anyone who treats you rudely, because I can attest it gave me a quick attitude adjustment (not to mention the guilt trip and the embarrassment of realizing I'd been acting like a :grumpy ). Sometimes you get so wrapped up in your self pity you don't realize what a donkey's behind you're making of yourself in front of other people.

As for the store-bought vs. handmade argument, I get that a lot from my mother. She herself is an expert at sewing, having attended Central Needle Trades High School in NY where they taught all the different facets of fashion design, but she still prefers to buy her clothes because it's cheaper and easier than sewing them. My opinion is that sure, it's cheaper and easier to buy everything, but it's worth the time and effort to get something tailor-made for you instead of taking what's available. You get to choose the materials, the design, and the exact size to fit your proportions. For all the people who look down their noses at someone for wearing handmade clothes, there are other, even snootier people who would look down their nose at the first group for buying off the rack. :soap;)

Sue, this was GREAT!!! I SOOO needed the laugh tonight! Thank you (even though you did it last year).

How sad is it that I am quoting myself? I just thought it pertinant that I point out that the "last year" comment was because I was looking at the wrong side of the post. I was looking at the join date, not the post date...go figure. I think I need to stop staring at my blanket!!! Which, BTW, the baby blanket is turning out quite fabulous! Can't wait to show it to you guys!

Mali

she was mad about her financial situation (strictly going by the fact that she was in a cash advance store that also does taxes) and took it out on someone who wasn't in a position to fight back without risking their job. ;)

Well that's a possibility. However, most of my customers are friendly people and several I have become friends with. (With the exception of the occasional customer who goes nuts and I have to call the cops on them! :lol)

This particular customer has been coming here for awhile now but this last time she was a little rude. Considering that I was super nice to her. She was actually due to come in and pay on the 3rd but she told me that her grandmother died and wouldn't be able to come in til this week. Most cash advance places would have deposited her check and then she would have incurred NSF fees from both her bank and the cash advance store, but not me. No, here I go trying to be nice again... Heck, maybe her grandmother did die, however, being in this business I really don't believe anyone. I had one customer tell me his dad died and he ended up being a month late. Later on I found out that his dad is alive and well! You wouldn't believe how many people "didn't get their paycheck this week" and all the other excuses out there. But then again, it goes with the territory!

Ok, back on subject... When she comes back in to pay this current advance you can bet I'll be wearing something crocheted! Just let her say something nasty about it!!! She make get a crochet hook where she doesn't want it! :hook (Just kidding)

Well that's a possibility. However, most of my customers are friendly people and several I have become friends with. (With the exception of the occasional customer who goes nuts and I have to call the cops on them! :lol)

This particular customer has been coming here for awhile now but this last time she was a little rude. Considering that I was super nice to her. She was actually due to come in and pay on the 3rd but she told me that her grandmother died and wouldn't be able to come in til this week. Most cash advance places would have deposited her check and then she would have incurred NSF fees from both her bank and the cash advance store, but not me. No, here I go trying to be nice again... Heck, maybe her grandmother did die, however, being in this business I really don't believe anyone. I had one customer tell me his dad died and he ended up being a month late. Later on I found out that his dad is alive and well! You wouldn't believe how many people "didn't get their paycheck this week" and all the other excuses out there. But then again, it goes with the territory!

Ok, back on subject... When she comes back in to pay this current advance you can bet I'll be wearing something crocheted! Just let her say something nasty about it!!! She make get a crochet hook where she doesn't want it! :hook (Just kidding)

OH, you're giving me morning giggles! I, too, work in an environment of "lame excuses" - criminal court. It is amazing how many people that get picked up on felony warrants during a traffic stop and then are brought into court in custody, a) were ON THERE WAY TO COURT TO TAKE CARE OF THAT WARRANT WHEN THE COP PULLED THEM OVER.... mm-hmm; and b) are STARTING A NEW JOB TOMORROW AND HAVE TO BE LET OUT OF CUSTODY ON OWN RECOGNIZANCE *promise to appear* (even though they skipped out on us for like six months and the scheduled bail is $50,000)!!!! We also have a disporportionate number of people whose car was stolen with the paperwork in it so they didn't know when to come back, and everybody suddenly has a dead/incapacitated relative that made them unable to return to court!

Back to the issue at hand, you wear your crocheted items proudly, an entire outfit if you have one! skirt, shawl, hat, scarf and you do what you gotta do with that crochet hook to set her straight!:lol

OH, you're giving me morning giggles! I, too, work in an environment of "lame excuses" - criminal court. It is amazing how many people that get picked up on felony warrants during a traffic stop and then are brought into court in custody, a) were ON THERE WAY TO COURT TO TAKE CARE OF THAT WARRANT WHEN THE COP PULLED THEM OVER.... mm-hmm; and b) are STARTING A NEW JOB TOMORROW AND HAVE TO BE LET OUT OF CUSTODY ON OWN RECOGNIZANCE *promise to appear* (even though they skipped out on us for like six months and the scheduled bail is $50,000)!!!! We also have a disporportionate number of people whose car was stolen with the paperwork in it so they didn't know when to come back, and everybody suddenly has a dead/incapacitated relative that made them unable to return to court!

Back to the issue at hand, you wear your crocheted items proudly, an entire outfit if you have one! skirt, shawl, hat, scarf and you do what you gotta do with that crochet hook to set her straight!:lol

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Thanks for that!!! Sometimes I forget there are others who hear lame excuse after lame excuse every day! It never ceases to amaze me the lies people will tell! The guy that told me he was in Alabama for a month for his dad's funeral and was taking care of his estate? I actually called his "dad" as he was listed as a reference and I figured the customer would answer the phone. I was surprised when his father answered. We had a nice little chat and he was interested to find out that his son told me that he was deceased. The next time this customer came in you should have seen his face when I told him I couldn't give him any more advances! He was babbling all over himself trying to think of a way to cover up his lie! Sorry, I'm very nice and if someone can't pay and works out a payment arrangement and sticks to it, FINE, but don't lie to me. That really ticks me off!

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who make tons of money that come here. Some of my customers have incomes of over 80K a year and still faithfully come every month and borrow the maximum! ($500) I thank the Lord for them as they keep me in business but the ones who borrow and have no intention on ever paying just totally baffle me. I think you and I should get together and write a book of excuses!

Yep, I'm more convinced now more than ever to be wearing a bunch of crochet stuff the next time little miss "prissy" comes in! :box

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Thanks for that!!! The guy that told me he was in Alabama for a month for his dad's funeral and was taking care of his estate? I actually called his "dad" as he was listed as a reference and I figured the customer would answer the phone. I was surprised when his father answered. We had a nice little chat and he was interested to find out that his son told me that he was deceased. The next time this customer came in you should have seen his face when I told him I couldn't give him any more advances! He was babbling all over himself trying to think of a way to cover up his lie!......

I think you and I should get together and write a book of excuses!

Yep, I'm more convinced now more than ever to be wearing a bunch of crochet stuff the next time little miss "prissy" comes in! :box

Ah, but what a relief it must have been for him when you told him dad was alive and well :devil .... surprised he didn't use his next excuse: "OHMYGAWSH.... I GOTTA GO DIG HIM UP!!!!"

And as far as the book of excuses... had a lady last week that came in but said she couldn't stay 'cause she had a large, um, absess or something on her rear end which she offered to SHOW us and began to pull up her skirt. uh, no thanks. we'll take your word for it.

I feel for you....I'm lucky, so far no nasty comments about my crocheting at work (hotel front desk)...My Martha Poncho came out just fine...I just haven't figured out what to wear it with yet haha. I made some scrunchies for a coworker who was ooing and ahhing over some of my stuff...she was so happy and surprised.

There are far too many p/o'd people out there these days willing to take their unhappy lives out on anyone and everyone. Just chalk it up to a cranky person and take it with a grain of salt. We in customer service are often in crappy situations with no way to vent haha...boy do I know about excuses too..and a lot of those people could use a size S hook where....well nevermind ;)

I'd love to see a pic of your poncho by the way, it sounds beautiful!

Robin in MI

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Now how in the world could that nasty lady justify her insulting behaviour. Obviously she must have been jealous because those colors and that lovely work show a really happy person! ~ which she obviously is NOT

Archived