People who are rude about crocheted items...

I work in a Cash Advance store where we also do taxes. Thank goodness that I can wear blue jeans and tennis shoes here as I hate dressing up. Well, almost anytime I wear something I made crocheted I seem to get tons of great comments about it.

Well yesterday this lady comes in and says to me (I was wearing my Sunstruck Poncho) "I didn't know people still wore ponchos today." And said it in a snooty voice. I told her that they actually came back in style last year and that many people wear them. She then says to me "Well, it's just because you all want to be like Martha Stewart!" Uh, hello? I cannot stand Martha Stewart! Yes I loved the poncho she wore when she got out of prison but I certainly don't wear one to be like her! It was everything I could do to be nice to this lady. Then as she was leaving she says "Oh, I suppose you even made your hair thingie too?" Which I did and she just kind of was all snooty about it...

I get more compliments on this poncho than almost anything I have made. I have worn it 3 times this week and have never failed to get at least one person oooohin and aaaahing all over it. When I got my nails done Tuesday evening, several people were raving about it and one of the nail techs inquired about getting one made for her...

Does this happen to anyone else? I know there's this stigma about crocheting, but I mean people who are blatent to your face about wearing crocheted items?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's probably just jealous.

Kinda reminds you of the people who say- "Did you make that yourself? It looks like it." They just want to be rude. It's a shame that some people want to put other people down as a way to make themselves feel better.

Some people are just clueless. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut, as many of my friends can attest. I probably would have said something like, "yeah, I wanna be just like someone who had a great reputation and throws it away because of insider trading." (which of course the boss wouldn't like, but I would have felt better.)

I get more compliments than snooty remarks too. If you're in a situation that you can't speak your mind, be a duck and let it roll off your back. We know the value and love that's in it. That's all that matters.

that lady obviously hasn't been to the mall lately and seen all the ponchos, shrugs, purses, and scarves that are in all the stores. my 26 yr old daughter is learning to crochet just so she can make stuff for herself and her friends and save them all some money while staying in style. the lady is no doubt out of the loop.

and wishing she had one, donnalynn, i would have smiled and said well yes i did and for 100.00 i will make you one in the color of your choice. thats what i do. one time a lady was so taken aback by it she goes why would i pay that kind of money for something handmade, i said well gosh, would you pay the price for designer jeans or even the price for them at nordstroms or macys. as we all know they also carry them and they are not cheap, i actually saw one at macy's the other day, was cute but nothing special, price for small non descript poncho, 95.00. i rest my case:devil :devil :devil :devil

i get this all the time. just this week one of my supposedly good friends left me a voice mail and said "this web crochet thing shows you have too much time on your hands, no excuse not to return my call". that really got to me. it's like a joke that i do this. so of course, now i will not call. it's what i like and those that are bothered by it, not my problem.

so, don't let it get to you. some people cannot help but being ignorant, but there was not excuse for the rudeness. that's just bad manners. :angry

Years ago I worked as a customer service rep for Hertz rent-a-Car and let me tell you I heard all kinds of rude!

I would look at the person very innocent and wide eyed and say: "Why would you want to say something so hurtful to me?" or "Why would you say that?"

It always stopped 'em in their tracks.

Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed! She was just looking to be nasty; if you hadn't been wearing your poncho, she'd have been rude about something else. SueBee's response is awesome, if you can cry on command; Denise's response is more my style and she's right, it usually does work. So does totally ignoring the rudeness and just not responding to it at all, but that can be hard!

Most of the time I get compliments with everything I make regardless of whether it's crocheted, knitted or sewed or rubberstamped or cooked...but to some people handmade means "homemade" and "cheap..."

To some people if something is made by hand and has flaws in it, well then it's worthless to them...it has no value because it wasn't made by a "professional." And when I sense that I want to ask them if they'd feel better if the item in question was made by some person in a sweatshop making cents on the dollar...but I don't...

It's taken me a long time to just let those kind of comments go. What tends to hurt worse is when someone makes a dig who is also a crafter...and even then it took me a while to realise that it was their own insecurities playing out.

I'm all for encouraging people that work with their hands to make something rather than tearing them down.

i get this all the time. just this week one of my supposedly good friends left me a voice mail and said "this web crochet thing shows you have too much time on your hands, no excuse not to return my call". that really got to me. it's like a joke that i do this. so of course, now i will not call. it's what i like and those that are bothered by it, not my problem.

so, don't let it get to you. some people cannot help but being ignorant, but there was not excuse for the rudeness. that's just bad manners. :angry

OMG! I've had a couple of people pull that "too much time on your hands" on me and I swear the next one to say that to me will get an earful...that is incredibly rude...I don't blame you for not wanting to call back...

Has that lady been hiding under a rock for the last couple years? :think I mean - ponchos and shawls are all the rage - how could she not know that?!?! It sounds to me like she was envious. People who are insecure have to put others down in order to make themselves feel superior. Rest assured you ARE the superior in this case, by showing class and restraint. I admire you. Wear your beautiful hand-crocheted items proudly. Trust me - that lady is jealous.:yes Offer to teach her or make her a poncho for a price of course. :hook

I don't know fashion and I don't care, but even I know ponchos are IN. That female (trust me it was no lady) just wanted to be a biatch. In a few years when we're all teasing our hair a al behive and wearing poodle skirts, she'll be in a poncho.

What a horrible experience...I have to agree that she was probably going to be nasty about something, no matter what. My problem is that I constantly have people thinking that the crochet items I made myself are KNITTED. I have a wonderful sweater that I made, using the "top-down" method (and may we pause here to say it was the easiest sweater I've ever made--no sewing). People compliment me on it, but then look dumbfounded and disappointed when I tell them it's crocheted <g>. Somehow, people seem to think that knitting is better than crocheting...why, I don't know...

>> To some people if something is made by hand and has flaws in it, well then it's worthless to them...it has no value because it wasn't made by a "professional." <<

I can't count the number of times I have stopped the cashier from ringing up a clothing purchase (of a garment made by a professional!) because I found something wrong with the stitching on the seams or buttons, etc. Personally, I would be much more appreciative of something handmade, knowing how closely the person making it had to pay attention to the details. :-)

This is all fascinating to me - b/c I've had it happen a million times, too. I love the responses that you guys thought of! It is hard to coat your skin with teflon and let those terrible, mean thoughts slide off. Especially when it is something that you worked hard on.

The other day when I was crocheting on the bus on my way home, this girl sits next to me and asked me what I was making. I told her it was a wrap for my aunt. She's like, "Why don't you just buy one?". I explained that this is more personal and that my aunt used to crochet. She was like, "Well, it looks boring. You must be crazy to want to do that" and got up and moved seats.

Anyway, it gave me the inspiration for my blog - One flew over the crochet hook...

and here's the quote I put on my blog: "If that's what's being crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone-down-the-road, wacko." - McMurphy - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

heheh.

:yay

... It sounds to me like she was envious. People who are insecure have to put others down in order to make themselves feel superior. Rest assured you ARE the superior in this case, by showing class and restraint. I admire you. Wear your beautiful hand-crocheted items proudly. Trust me - that lady is jealous.:yes ...

I agree whole heartedly!

Lol what a sad lady that was.... She doesn't know what is going on in the fashion world. Like duhh all the high end fashion stores have them for sale. It sounds like she just doesn't know what the current fashion trends are and does try to keep up. How sad...

People these days... don't worry about it.

I've run into a lot of people who just like to say mean things, they can't keep their mouths shut. Just because that lady is unhappy with her own life, she probably just needed someone to take it out on.

Ponchos are cool, handmade ones are even better. Since I've joined crochetville, I've been in awe at all the amazing things I've seen in the show & tell. I'm barely starting on my first scarf, haha and I can't wait to become pro like all the rest of you guys!

Oh, my, that's terrible!

The only people I've gotten rude comments from were knitters who were sneering that "only in crochet do you get stupid Santa toilet paper covers." The other lady in that group was trying to correct her that in knitting you can get patterns for the same silly things. ;)

The rudest thing I've ever heard was 20 years ago when I went to a seminar for turning your crafts into a business...and when the instructor went around the room and asked what craft we were wanting to make into a business, when it was my turn I said crocheting...and this lady basically sneered and said something about me having a hard time of it because there were enough tissue box covers out there...and you know, I've never, ever made a tissue box cover in my life...I made many a sweater and afghan, mostly of my own primative design I'll grant you...but it was something...and I wasn't stupid...good lord, the 70's had some of the coolest fashions out there and now they are coming back or are back in style...talk about a balloon deflater...needless to say, I searched for the next two decades for some other means of making a living instead of pursuing crocheting...but to be fair, maybe I was ahead of my time...

Archived