donnalynn2

Any lefties who crochet right handed or vice-versa?

I am a leftie but cannot crochet with my left hand. My mom tried to teach me when I was a kid but couldn't do it. I thought I would never be able to learn til 2 years ago when a friend of mine told me to try my right hand. I couldn't believe it but even though I'm a leftie I crochet right-handed.

Is anyone else the same way, or perhapds a right handed person who crochets leftie???

I'm left-handed, but crochet right-handed, too!!! I think it's because a right-handed person taught me. I can't imagine crocheting with my left hand! That would be weird. I have watched someone crochet left-handed, and it's pretty strange to watch! :eek

I'm right-handed, but taught myself to crochet left-handed a few years ago. I am definitely a lot, lot slower at it - but that doesn't really matter much since I only do it when I'm teaching a lefty how to crochet. Makes it so much easier to teach them.

I'm left-handed, but crochet right-handed, too!!! I think it's because a right-handed person taught me. I can't imagine crocheting with my left hand! That would be weird. I have watched someone crochet left-handed, and it's pretty strange to watch! :eek

WOW! I am so glad it's not just me! I remember being a kid I was so sad because I wanted to crochet like my mom and I just couldn't get the hang of it. I am so glad that a friend of mine suggested trying my right hand!

When I decided to learn to crochet I got a leaflet from Michaels that said that basically crocheting is a two-handed activity. I'm glad I approached it that way -- it works for me. When, a year or so later I decided that I wanted to learn to knit, I had the confidence to try.

Mind you, I look kind of goofy knitting: I jam the right-hand needle in my thigh and do most of the movement with my left hand! Still, it works great for me!

Beth

I am a complete righty, except with knitting. I knit left handed and the only thing I can figure out, is because I know crochet, it is easier for me to relate to the stitches and everything from a left hand perspective. Not sure, but it just feels ackward for me to even try right handed. Maybe some day, when I am more comfortable with it, but everything turns out okay, so why worry about it.

i'm weird because the only thing i do with my left hand is write or eat with chopsticks. Everything else i do i do with my right hand. When i tried to learn how to crochet it was so strange trying to read the instructions and then use my left hand that i just gave up and started using my right hand. i do notice that when i crochet alot of my crochet movement is still done with the left hand.like yarning over and working up.

I suspect lefties can switch a bit easier because we're used to doing so many little things right-handed. Not that being a leftie made it any easier to learn to knit right-handed. . . at least, that's my excuse for failing at knitting for so many years.:D

Your storie sounds just like mine. I taught myself to crochet about 30 years ago. Crocheting is the only thing I do right handed.:U

I crochet right handed- but knit true left handed