Anyone from Central IL around here??

insurechick

I'm formerly from Central Illinois. I grew up in southern Illinois & moved to Peoria area my senior year. I moved to Florida in 1998. I really miss IL. My sister's in East Peoria & my parents live around the O'Fallon area. At least I get to visit at least once a year.

My hubby and I are both from Pekin and our families still live in Pekin, Peoria, and Farmington. We visit once a year, usually around Heart of Illinois Fair time.

What town do you live in, Insurechick?

I live around Springfield now, but am from the Peoria area, out by the airport. Love your corn and beans saying! Even in larger towns, ya drive far enough and you will run into a corn or bean field!

grrlsmom we'll have to catch up sometime you're coming by...you definitely would have seen the turn off. I work at C F & H Insurance in Monticello...stop by if you're in town sometime!

abud...I go to Pekin often because we sell Pekin Insurance at my office!! Nice to "meet" you :-)

• 9 months later...

Shelly, I know I already hassled you, but I wanted to post here in case some other mid-midwesterners see this thread later and wanna "hook up."

I'm in Champaign Illinois :) Originally from further west- in Illinois still

Not anymore, but my dd was born there in Urbana, IL. We lived in Mahomet, IL (just west of Champaign/Urbana) for 2 years. My dh worked 35 miles south in Tuscola.

Being from the northeast, I have to say seeing nothing but corn & beans for miles really freaked me out. But I have to also say, I met some of the nicest people I've ever known in Illinois. Again being from New England, I was truly weirded out the first several months when "strangers" at the grocery store would strike up friendly conversations with me. Too funny

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I live in Herrick, Il. A little hick town about 30 miles from Effingham, 28 miles from Vandalia. Not good with directions, but surrounding towns are Cowden, Ramsey, TowerHill, Beecher City. We have a Pop of about 300 people. But we do have our very own Gas Station/Grocery Store.

I am from Vandalia, Illinois. You know, the old state capital. I am a public health and communicable disease nurse at our local health department. I have always lived in Fayette County, IL.

Penny

AKA: Buzybee

I'm not from Il. but I have family in Seriville, and jonesburo(down in U B **** hollar) not sure if that is any where near you all!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am an In implant formally from Ill I was raised and went to school In Decatur Ill. I have lived all over Ill . I use to work at Eurka Vacumn In Bloomington Ill. and lived near Clinton In one of my sons lives outside of Clinton Ill in a small town of Lane Ill. I now live in Clinton In about 14 miles from Paris Ill.

Hi All! There certainly are alot of us in Central IL. I'm sorry I didn't respond to each of you, I had inadvertantly turned off my notice when this thread had a response.

Pheonix and I caught up with each other to go to a new Yarn Shop in Champaign Klose Knits a few weeks ago. It was alot of fun!

Those of you around Champaign there is a small crochet group that is getting together at the Hobby Lobby every so often, if you're interested you might PM Pheonix, since she has attended. I unfortunately haven't been free when they've met yet.

Hi! I'm formerly of Southern IL (Albion) and went to college in Bloomington. Planning on moving back this year :cheer . I really love it in Illinois, which no one but an Illinois girl would understand :). My friends here just look at me slackjawed when I reminisce about my state LOL!

So in a few months, I'll be a Bloomingtonian again :)!

Hey, fellow Illini! I grew up in Cambridge, IL, (Henry County), went to school at WIU in Macomb, lived and worked in Kankakee and Joliet, and for about 20 years have lived in the Chicago area. But DH and I will be moving back downstate when he retires in a few years. So I guess I'm not really a "Central" Illinoisan, but, having grown up in the corn and beans, I can relate.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm from Monticello...right in between Champaign and Decatur. It's nice to hear from everyone! :-) Grrlsmom...we're only about 1 hour apart :-)

Hi,

Well I'm not really from Illinois--I'm a California native--but a part of me has always felt I am! My Dad was from Metropolis down in So. IL, one grandma was born in Mattoon, and the other up by Ottawa. My aunt and cousins farm near Monticello, in and near Milmine and Cerro Gordo. I know Monticello somewhat..was just there a couple of years ago, had lunch and bought something at the store with the blown glass art! Love Allerton Park..what childhood memories! You might know my aunt...Naomi Brandenburg? Have been visiting this area since I was a baby, and I'm in my 50's now.....love,love,love Illinois. Ahh...the corn and beanfields. Just sitting on my aunt's porch and hearing nothing but the breeze. Heaven!

Hi,

Well I'm not really from Illinois--I'm a California native--but a part of me has always felt I am! My Dad was from Metropolis down in So. IL, one grandma was born in Mattoon, and the other up by Ottawa. My aunt and cousins farm near Monticello, in and near Milmine and Cerro Gordo. I know Monticello somewhat..was just there a couple of years ago, had lunch and bought something at the store with the blown glass art! Love Allerton Park..what childhood memories! You might know my aunt...Naomi Brandenburg? Have been visiting this area since I was a baby, and I'm in my 50's now.....love,love,love Illinois. Ahh...the corn and beanfields. Just sitting on my aunt's porch and hearing nothing but the breeze. Heaven!

How small our world is :-) ! I know of the Brandenburg's, but I'm not sure I've ever met your aunt. Allerton Park is one of my favorite places, we're so lucky to have it right out our back door!! Prairie Fire Glass is the store your talking about...they have such beautiful pieces! We actually have another called Corrie Art Glass, but they do more work for order.

Thanks for responding :)

How small our world is :-) ! I know of the Brandenburg's, but I'm not sure I've ever met your aunt. Allerton Park is one of my favorite places, we're so lucky to have it right out our back door!! Prairie Fire Glass is the store your talking about...they have such beautiful pieces! We actually have another called Corrie Art Glass, but they do more work for order.

Thanks for responding :)

Yes, what a small world it is! Sam Brandenburg is my cousin, his wife is Rosemary. They farm in Milmine. My aunt's farm is on the road between Monticello and Cerro Gordo, just past the Milmine Rd. Last time I was in Monticello we had lunch at the place across the street from the glass store...the Brown Bag or something like that? Has an art gallery inside.

My aunt knits and cross stitches...doesn't crochet...but she's taken me to the cross stitch store in Tuscola! Where do you shop for yarn? Decatur?

Next time I'm in Monticello, I'll drop by and say hi!

Carol

Yes, what a small world it is! Sam Brandenburg is my cousin, his wife is Rosemary. They farm in Milmine. My aunt's farm is on the road between Monticello and Cerro Gordo, just past the Milmine Rd. Last time I was in Monticello we had lunch at the place across the street from the glass store...the Brown Bag or something like that? Has an art gallery inside.

My aunt knits and cross stitches...doesn't crochet...but she's taken me to the cross stitch store in Tuscola! Where do you shop for yarn? Decatur?

Next time I'm in Monticello, I'll drop by and say hi!

Carol

I know that I know Sam...I just am not sure from where it is that I know him :-) I know exactly where the farm is!! The Brown Bag is great, one of the great places to eat in Monticello!! Please tell me when you visit, it would be very neat to meet you. I work on the square in Monticello, so it'll be easy to find me!

I buy yarn from both Champaign and Decatur normally. It just depends what I'm looking for. I'm actually trying to not buy much this year as I have a ridiculous amount already right now! My stash is overtaking my office!!

Looking forward to meeting you (in person) someday!!:)

I know that I know Sam...I just am not sure from where it is that I know him :-) I know exactly where the farm is!! The Brown Bag is great, one of the great places to eat in Monticello!! Please tell me when you visit, it would be very neat to meet you. I work on the square in Monticello, so it'll be easy to find me!

I buy yarn from both Champaign and Decatur normally. It just depends what I'm looking for. I'm actually trying to not buy much this year as I have a ridiculous amount already right now! My stash is overtaking my office!!

Looking forward to meeting you (in person) someday!!:)

I know exactly where you work! Yes, next time I'm there, I'll stop by! Won't be this year tho! :(( Wish I could escape!

I know what you mean about yarn stash...mine is terrible...and yet I still go to the store and buy more yarn:) :yarn :yarn If you see Sam, tell him I said hi!

Carol

Archived