Pet Peeve-People saying knitting when it is really crocheted.

"knitting" as a term for both knitting and crocheting...it's interchangable to them. "knitting" is two syllables and "crocheting" three...whatever...

... tatting people get annoyed ... mistake their craft for crocheting or knitting...

... a needlepoint site ... be interested in ...different ... from crocheting... worked with the hands...that's the common denominator with the knitting, crocheting, tatting, macrame, embroidary, needlepoint and sewing...one is working with the hands...that's all he sees really.

Agreeable points.

As is the thought mentioned in another reply >> ... making conversation. <<

Another more appropo ? might be - what are you making?

Doubtful that will be read by anyone out of the loop because it's unlikely they'd ever read the Thread.

Maybe a reporter, columnist, writer, or the like will take up the idea and do an article for a periodical or daily. Some publication other than a dedicated one.

Though with the decline in newspaper subcsriptions, the article would have to be picked up by the Internet news folks for wider reading.

:-) 's

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, doesn't bug me... knitting has been an elusive talent, one I've not yet been able to master:think ... My hubby knows I can't knit, that I'm crocheting, but he calls it my 'knitting stuff' and I think it's kinda sweet 'cause I know his mom was a knitter and crocheter and I think it comes natural to him.

I wonder if tatting people get annoyed if people were to mistake their craft for crocheting or knitting...
Oddly enough, the only time I've ever done any tatting in public (at the doctor's office), another lady there recognized what I was doing. She told me she used to do a lot of tatting when she was younger and that I'd made her want to get back into it :yay

I'd expected when I took it out of my bag that somebody was going to ask me if I was making macrame or something :lol

I work in a yarn store and occasionally I'll be crocheting something, OBVIOUSLY with hook in hand and a knitter will ask me what I'm knitting. I will ALWAYS correct them. "Well, I'm CROCHETING, a (insert whatever here)." Knitters should know that I'm not knitting. I'm just tired of being treated like a red-headed step-child because I choose to crochet and not knit.:angry

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that it bothers. And from the response, it seems like the public does need some education in the matters. But some people will call it knitting, just because they can. And instead of going into a spheel about it, I would rather be crocheting. So I will just let it be.

Linda:think

• 2 weeks later...

When I first read this thread I wanted to reply, but did not have the info to share at the time. Since I just started to crochet I haven't had this problem. I mainly do it in the comfort of my home, where I can think, concentrate and relax. I only had to correct my husband once. The first time I let it slide, the second time I spoke up. Since I have done cross stitch for awhile I have noticed that I may use the word needle instead of crochet hook. I had read an article called "Crochet and It's Origins" that I found on site called Stefan's Florilegium. It makes reference about hooks and needles and how knitting needles have been hooked and still are in some cultures.

Desireé

• 1 year later...

my sweetie calls it; "tying knots" i can live with that one! lol

but i am curious now if knitting was done long before crocheting and perhaps there is an ingrained thing about knitting being the word folks use automatically? would be interesting to research. dani

It annoys me; I can't stand it. My SO has learned not to call it knitting. I've corrected him so many times, he finally gets it right. :lol Even my daughter has learned. As for the public, no matter how many times they're corrected, they will probably never completely get it right...and most probably don't even care to. I've never had to correct anyone outside of family, yet, but I will if the need arises. I'm definitely pro-learn-the-difference-between-crochet-and-knitting. :hook I push it because I want crochet to get the recognition it deserves.

When someone asks me "what are you knitting?" I honestly say "nothing. I don't knit." They give me the strangest look but I explain that when a person knits...they have NEEDLES....I am a crocheter....french for hooker:lol The point finally gets taken then and so they rephrase their question...what are you crocheting?? And sometimes when they ask how long has it taken you to work that? I say all my life......:haha

:cheer Remember, "The Public" is made up of many billions of people and there are probably people in this world who have never heard of Elvis let alone know the difference between knitting & crochet.

Dont let it bother you when people get it wrong because you know what you are doing and it doesnt really matter if others dont.

Isnt it nice that someone noticed what you are doing and choose to have a conversation with you so, if you answer in a cranky way, they may get the impression that all people who Crochet are cranky and never speak to others they may meet.

If this was the worst thing that happened to you that day, you must have had a fabulous day.

Have another fabulous day, knitting or crocheting, whatever you do.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I had an interesting experience last night in a college art class. I was sitting there knitting a sock ( my only WIP that could fit in my bag ) and one of the students asked,

"Hey, are you crocheting?"

I said "No, actually this is knitting."

He replied with "Well, my momma crochets and it's faster. Lookit you, all stitch...and stitch...and stitch... .My momma be all whoosh-whoosh-whoosh, its done. You should crochet that thing!"

He walked off laughing before I could explain that I am indeed in perfect agreement with him and his mother. But, I think we have a fan and a potential crochet-newbie!

Most days it doesn't bother me, I'm usually just impressed that someone noticed what I was doing! (I crochet a lot in airports....) Some times I corect them some times I don't. Depends on my mood and if they look like someone I want to talk to... :shrug

I dunno maybe it should bother me but it doesn't all. If someone asks me what I'm knitting I just say like "I'm making a hat". If they ask more questions I'll work into the chat that I'm crocheting. The way I see its all good. I figure its all creating something.

I have to agree with the original poster (and by the way, am I the only one who noticed just how OLD this thread is? :lol). I don't know why, but it irks me to no end when somebody assumes I'm knitting. I answer politely and all that, but inside my head I'm screaming "you idiot! Knitting has TWO NEEDLES and I'm using ONE HOOK!!! Big difference!!!" The only way anybody would know I'm upset is if they heard me grinding my teeth after said person has walked away. :lol

My brother was playing with me last night, said something about me bringing my knitting....but only said it as a joke because he knows it's a total faux pas. If it were anyone else I'd be upset but with him I just laughed.

Some of the people mean no disrespect they just don't know how to recognise the difference between the two. Great time to show them the difference and offer to teach them :)

I think that "KNITTING" is used as a generic term. I don't think unless it is a spouse or family member it is really meant to cause harm. I don't have a snappy comeback for that question. Maybe I will have to try the "Oh I don't knit" line. Personally I have picked up the knitting needles a few times. I cannot get the needles to behave themselves.

I knit and crochet as well, and some people knows the difference between them, but it doesn't bother me if they make a mistake.

In Hebrew there is just one word for it, so I can't blame them, but some recognize that what I "knit" is a crochet.

Archived