Hello world

SheWolf

Hi all! I'm a new crocheter (I just started about 2 weeks ago) and stumbled on this forum when I was looking for something nice and easy to make.

I'm a mom of 3 (Duncan 8, Allena 3 and Connor 3 mo), and I just finished a chintzy little afghan for the baby (it's awful. . . lost/gained stitches, and I didn't know how to join yarn at the time, so it's joined with really bad sl st's) but at least it's the right width for his car seat. . .

While I'm posting, I'd like to suggest that the patterns posted have an estimated skill level? There are a lot I'd love to make, but look too complex.

Nice to meet ya'll!

JoAnna, NC

Welcome from western PA. I remember when I first started to crochet the sides of my afghans weren't always straight either, it comes with practice. It took a class at JoAnn's and I was good to go from there. Charlene

Welcome from western PA. I remember when I first started to crochet the sides of my afghans weren't always straight either, it comes with practice. It took a class at JoAnn's and I was good to go from there. Charlene

I wish I had a JoAnn's or something within a close distance but everything is too far to drive:angry. I don't have to lock my doors, but I also have to drive forever to get something more than a Five and Dime. :(

Welcome from :sun Central Florida!:waving

I remember when I first started, the starting end of my afghan was alot smaller than the other. I would increase my gauge without realizing it. Practice seemed to solved that problem.

Hi Joanna :cheer and Welcome to Crochetville from Buenos Aires, Argentina!!! :manyheart You'll like it here! Don't get dissappointed! It's your first afghan! And I am sure it's not that awful at all!:manyheart

Hello!!!! I just joined Crochetville two days ago... and I've been crocheting for over 12 years! I admire your "jumping in" with both hands :clap ... I have quite a few 'octagonal-shaped afghans' from my 'early days' :blush.

:yayHAPPY CROCHETING:yay

Welcome! I think you have experienced the value of counting your stitches, at least until you get very familiar with how crochet looks. You might start by doing afghans all in one color, and using only very simple stitches (a row of dc, a row of tr, a row of sc, etc) until you get more practice. A good pattern for you is one that says "repeat row 2 until afghan is X inches from beg ch." Stick with it!:clap

Welcome! I think you have experienced the value of counting your stitches, at least until you get very familiar with how crochet looks. You might start by doing afghans all in one color, and using only very simple stitches (a row of dc, a row of tr, a row of sc, etc) until you get more practice. A good pattern for you is one that says "repeat row 2 until afghan is X inches from beg ch." Stick with it!:clap

I have found that using multi-colored yarn works REALLY well for seeing the difference between stitches :) For the one I made, I took a pattern, used the base chain given (77) then played around with various stitches. I used sc's the first 10 rows, then alternated HDC's, dc's, and sc's. That looked great, but just forgot to count :eek. I need a hook with a counter on it. . . especially for some of these that require chaining 200+ :eek stitches. No way I'll keep count with these kids!

Would guess, among of us, there are different methods to mark every

25/30 sts to allow a quicker way to count the ch's aside from each one.

Some that come to mind -

Vinyl covered paper clips.

Small sized hair pins/bobby pins.

The plastic clips one sees lying on the floor of dressing rooms.

A looped piece of smaller weight yarn.

Small safety pins. Negative with these is the yarn can get cught in the pin loop.

Purchased Clover marking pins.

:-) 's

Archived