werecat

Arm waves greetings from behind stacks of yarn balls!

Hi all. :cheer I have been crocheting and sewing since I was about 6 years old. I my mum taught me and she and I are in the process of teaching my 7 year old niece to crochet. It's a bit of a challenge cause she becomes very sad that she can't just pick it up and go like Nanny and Auntie do, but she keeps trying. Any suggestions to help us teach her would be appreciated btw. Anyway back to the subject... LOL... Mum learned to crochet in the bomb shelters of London during the blitz. The children were taught to crochet and knit as a way to keep them distracted durring the bombings. they would make hats and mittens and scarves and such for the soldiers so those were the first things I learned to make and for the longest time that was all I made. Then my sister got preggers (much to the delight of husband and family) and I wanted to make her something really nice. A friend taught me to read patterns and I have been a complete junkie since. I go a little batty if I don't have something to do with my hands. LOL The last couple of years I have been doing afghans for gifts for family and charity raffles. At the moment I am waiting on the local rely for life lady to hear back from Caron about donating some yarn so I can make another one for them to do a silent auction on. While I wait, I am working on using up the leftover bits and pieces from other projects. It must be some version of murphy's law that the last skein of yarn you need for a project you only use about 4 yards of LOL. I have slippers for me and am making some for my mum and I have "pushed" my habit off on the two ladies on either side of me at work LOL. I will try to get some photos of the afghans and other projects I have completed and post them soon.

Lisa

Hi, Welcome, Enjoy, Share... Have Fun Lisa.

:hi and :welcome from southern indiana. you'll find lots of trouble to get into around here.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to crochetville from the sunny Island of Trinidad West Indies

Ferosa

Welcome to the group! I've taught a lot of kids - so if you want to PM me sometime, I'd be happy to help. One thing I've found really is the best is to do a few rows for them. It's a lot easier for them to see what they are supposed to be doing and where they should put the hook. It gives them a chance to focus on learning the stich instead of fighting a twisting piece of work. They'll also see your nice, even stitches and work to match them. Good luck!

hi welcome from washington state. so glad you joined us. i agree as far a teaching kids, i am a crochet instructor who has taught young children and what i did was actually show them how to do the st , then have them do it with me, if you have any questions to ask about teaching these bright little minds please pm me and let me know and i will help if i can:hug :hug

Hello!! Welcome to Crochetville Lisa!

Welcome, Lisa. You will find many other wonderful crochet teachers to help you here. I'm a lefty and find it difficult to teach others. I hope to teach myself to crochet right-handed so I can show others more easily. Enjoy!.

:welcome from Oklahoma.

What a special story about how your mother learned to knit/crochet. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Lisa, and welcome from VA:hook

Welcome!! You'll love it here...lots of great ideas and great people!