I may become a crochet instructor!!!! UPDATE on post 22!

I would suggest that along with the class, you give them a handout with your name and e-mail addie and telephone #, just in case they get stuck and need to ask you a question during the week. Beginners might get frustrated and need that little bit of extra insurance that they can reach you if needed. What do you think?:think

• 2 weeks later...

So how are things going in your classes?

I've been waiting to hear some more updates.:)

I, too, have been thinking of teaching crochet at our Michaels here.

I already had an interview with the coordinator and she says each class is $15.00 per person. Instructors keep 90%. Classes are never cancelled so even if only one person signs up you are expected to teach. Supplies for instructors are discounted at 25% off, (at least I think that is what she said).

She also explained how you should come in to do some demos at the front of the store to generate interest in your classes. I guess you just sit there and crochet things and try to grab the interest of people. :lol

I'm really interested in teaching intarsia/tunisian crochet but I have no idea what levels people are at who would be interested in learning crochet. I think a beginners basic class is the best way to go for starters. But also to offer a more challenging class to those who already know the basics and want to stretch out into more challenging things. (Although, it would take a LOT more hours of instruction to teach those.)

I love the idea of a "bring your own project" to class crochet group. I wonder how that would best be set up.

Please update!

Beck, thanks for the inquiry. So far I have a couple signed up for my class next weekend. I'm just doing the simple felted cell phone cozy and am excited about it. I am hoping to offer Intermediate classes in April. I have thought about possibly doing demo's at HL to generate interest in the classes but I haven't seen anyone else doing them so I don't know that they allow it. I will ask the manager next time I talk to him.

That's great that your local Michaels is willing to pay you 90% of the tuition. Ours isn't that generous. You do get 25% off any regular priced items as you are considered an employee and get the employee discount.

Can't wait to hear how your class goes! Maybe we can swap notes after! :hook

Archived