Making a pattern

ShannonCC

Question

I have a cardigan I wear in the house but it's old and falling apart. I want to make a new one by next winter but I can't seem to find a pattern I like.

I was wondering, could I take this one and somehow make a crochet pattern off of it? Just measure the pieces and crochet pieces that match and then sew it all together?

It seems too simple, is there something I'm missing?

6 answers to this question

Well if you know what stitches are used it should be pretty easy to copy it.

In order for one of us to help you specifically though you will probably need to take a pic of it so we can get an idea of what it looks like and the stitches used and such.

Some of the hookers on here can really take apart a pattern they see a picture of.

Sure .. why not:think

My Mom taugth me to crochet when I was about 8 and she taught me by looking at something and coping it. Years about , in the 60's I had bought a white shawl/cape with arm slits and wanted a pink one so I did just that I got some pink yarn and crocheted one just about like it. So I say so for it just make sure your yarn is about the same ply so the sizing will be close. Don't worry if you have to frog a little, :blush it will be worth it.

:hook

Sorry, I didn't explain well enough :) The cardigan is not crocheted. It's machine knit, bought from a store. I just really like how it fits me, how the collar lays, what length it is, etc. I was thinking I could just divide it into sections (along seam lines), pick a yarn I like and then just crochet pieces the same size.

I was thinking I could just divide it into sections (along seam lines), pick a yarn I like and then just crochet pieces the same size.

That's how patterns are made. Just know that it'll not be exactly the same when you're done. Machine knit is a softer fabric than crochet will be. However, using a larger than generally recommend hook for the yarn will produce a softer fabric. Go for it. Take notes as you work so you can replicate it if you like. Try this, or this for some help and confidence!

:cheer

Another thing you might consider doing to help you with the pattern process, is to go to a fabric store and buy craft interfacing (not fusible) and use it to cut and make your pattern. Then you can pin it together on the seam lines and try it on for fit and make any adjustments you might need to make. Then you take it apart and have flat pieces to use for your pattern. This is what sewers do, when they want to recreate clothing pieces and is what my mom taught me to do.

Archived