Caron Perfect Match? I don't think so.

CrazieJillie84

I just finished a blanket (I got the pattern here) and at the end when I finally had it all done...I realized that this perfect match yarn was not that at all.

What a dissapointment!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/craziejillie84/020506004.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/craziejillie84/020506003.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/craziejillie84/020506002.jpg

This is Perfect Match: Soft Peach 7707...so beware!

WOW! I mean, I have seen skeins that are a little different but that looks like 2 completely different colors!

I have noticed this more and more and have started taking the skeins I already purchased with me to buy more. The Sugar N Cream cotton has a real problem with their darker colors. I bought a nice rich forest green to make a bath mat out of but they only had 4 skeins. I ended up buying all 4 and when they got more in, they only got like 5 more skeins. What the heck? Well as luck would have it I still had the others I purchased in the car and checked it. Sure enough the new batch was the same color and all but the difference was astounding. It took me weeks to get enough yarn to be able to make the mat. It's hard when some stores don't keep but a few skeins of something in stock.

As suggested I would write to the company. I am making a sweater from the Caron's one pounders which are usually wonderful, but so far the 2 skeins I have used have been a disaster. I have had to literally stop what I'm doing several times as the yarn comes out in knots and sometimes it's even "tied" together in several spots. Ridiculous for a name brand yarn...

Good luck with this. It's really a beautiful blanket!

I have noticed this more and more and have started taking the skeins I already purchased with me to buy more. The Sugar N Cream cotton has a real problem with their darker colors. I bought a nice rich forest green to make a bath mat out of but they only had 4 skeins. I ended up buying all 4 and when they got more in, they only got like 5 more skeins. What the heck? Well as luck would have it I still had the others I purchased in the car and checked it. Sure enough the new batch was the same color and all but the difference was astounding. It took me weeks to get enough yarn to be able to make the mat. It's hard when some stores don't keep but a few skeins of something in stock.

You can buy cones of the Elmore Pisgah 100 percent cotton yarn from their website. http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/ That might be an easier way of getting the amount of yarn you need. They sell all the colors in cones.

Thanks everyone.

I emailed them...hopefully they do something. I'm so upset!! I cannot believe I didn't notice it sooner though! I was so excited to give it to my niece today and I was just too embarrassed to. (I mean she won't care, but I do!! lol)

I feel so stupid! But it is totally their fault...it is advertised with big bold print that says NO DYE LOT YARN. I bought all 4 at Michaels..(cleaned them out of it) but I did buy them at separate times because I never know how much I need. I'm just so annoyed and upset! Grrr! lol

This has happened to me too! I contacted the company and they sent me four more skeins of the wrong color! I even sent samples showing the variations in color. I would send them a photo of your project.

Karen

That has to be very disappointing! Especially since I find basketweave stitches take a while to do, so I'm sure you put a lot of effort into making that blanket. The pattern looks lovely, though. Hopefully you'll have good luck with Caron.

Renee

I had a problem with Lion brand yarn once. They sent me a new skein. I told them that they some how shorted the skein that I bought. I had two colors of homwspun together and one was short then the other. The new skein di dnot help my project,but I did make something out of it.

Give them a call, it can't hurt.

:eek I've seen small differences in no-dye-lot yarn before but never that extreme! I hope they come through for you to make it up to you. That's pretty bad of them, especially with all the work you put into the blanket.

Even with no-dye-lot yarn, I like to look at the labels. You can often times find some sort of number or date code--I try to match them up so as to improve the chances of getting things from the same batch. They may say no dye lot, but it's not always true...

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that no dye lot means that the color will be universal all around. THere is always going to be a new mix for each new batch and thus (same as with dyelotted yarns) you are going to have inconsistencies between different batches. If I need a yarn that is supposedly no dye lot for a project that it matters that the skeins match, I buy it all at once, and take it to the front of the store where I can look at it in day light and visually check it for inconsistencies. Personally, I think having no given dye lot is one of the ways they keep the cost down on certain yarns (but I don't KNOW that for a fact, so please don't take it as such). IME the Caron SS yarns have less variances between different batches but - I have 6 or 7 skeins of the soft blue and they are all except two just faintly different (thankfully they're going into projects where it doesn't matter!) - not a huge difference, but if you really look at them closely, you can see it.

That said, there does seem to be a pretty big difference in the blanket you made, and I KNOW I would be upset and frustrated too. Unfortunately, though, it's one of the problems with working with non-dyelotted yarns. I will be interested in hearing what Caron says back.

Wow, that is quite a difference. I love the blanket, and you did a beautiful job on the basketweave (one of my favorite stitches). I hope you'll post and let us know what Caron's response is.

Somewhere (on a knitting website??) I remember reading someone's hint that on any solid-color project that used more than one skein, they would change skeins every 3 rows so color variations would be minimized. I remember thinking at the time that would be a lot of ends to weave in. But maybe it's not such a bad idea after all... I like Stacey's suggestion of checking the labels even on no-dye lots.

You deserve two pats on the back

(1) For doing such a beautiful job in your crocheting. :clap

(2) For being so calm in your post ! :yay

Thanks!

That is a great idea with switched skeins every few rows!! I will definitely do that with the new blanket I'm doing just incase.

-I'm really calm about everything because I think this one is a little my fault too for not seeing it sooner! haha

I already started a new basket weave with a pretty lavender color(they look all the same too haha) :hook

This is what Caron responded with:

During production, frequent quality checks are made by our Quality Assurance

personnel to ensure that the millions of skeins we produce are trouble-free.

Yet, a few unsatisfactory skeins may proceed through production undetected.

Unfortunately, a customer such as you may receive these skeins.

I will send you 3 complimentary skeins. It will ship within 3 days.

Thanks,

Kim Alexander

Caron Public Relations

I think that was probably fair right?

Yep, pretty fair, and very generous to send you free yarn. And the explanation makes sense...but would it have killed the rep to say something along the lines of, oh, I don't know, We're really sorry this happened to you and hope you will continue using our yarns? :think Where's the love :lol ? I mean, your project was ruined (although not due to any intentional negligence on their part, I'm sure)...I just think an actual apology along with the explanation would have been a nice touch. Maybe that's just me, though.

Your blanket is very pretty despite the color problems. Maybe you could add some form of decorations on the ends. Some flowers might be pretty.

At least Caron responded and are sending you something.

I had the same problem with C&C TLC "cotton plus".... Same dye lot# and everything... the lady at Michaels says it seems to be "epidemic" among many yarn companies lately... dye lot or no dye lot, things just aren't even "close" to matching. She has noticed when she restocks. Same color scheme and everything, but either lighter or darker - so much as to be VERY noticable.

I have never had a problem with Caron (I don't use it much because I hate how it seperates) but am seriously thinking about complaining to Coats and Clark about the TLC at $4+/skein.

what a pretty blanket, but goodness, that is completely different... not even close! Perhaps you could frog the smaller contrast color (it is a contrast afterall) and use it as a border... either that or set it with the darker shade in the sun and wait for it to fade:P

The retail store I worked at would get many skeins of yarn in one large box but they were always mixed colors and styles of yarn. The problem is that the buyers were in Texas and we are in Ohio. We were not allowed to order what we were out of. Walmart has a computerized system that takes stock as it depletes. I don't know how Michael's or Joan's works their stock but it's probably similar to our way. With the popularity of yarnwork now I hope they all do a better job of stocking.

Oh my! When I first looked at the pictures, I thought it was a shadow over the blanket, or that the blanket was laid on a box or something...wow, that is a HUGE difference! <Making a mental note to check this stuff>

Now I'm crossing my fingers that my whites were the same in the no dye lot I just picked up (how hard could it be to match white? [that was a retorical question]).

Glad they are at least sending you more yarn! I do love that stitch, alas, I can't follow a pattern for beans and end up making my own, but it would be interesting to try that one.

I still think your blanky is pretty!

Mali

Archived