Felting I-Cord

JCB

I need to get some double-pointed knitting needles to make some I-Cord, which I will felt to use as handles on felted crocheted bags. Since I will be felting it, I think I will need relatvely large needles?

If I purchase only one set of dpn, which size would you recommend?

Thanks!

Joan

When I made my purse last year, I made I-cord and used I believe they were a size 10.5 or 11. It felted up beautifully, the only thing I have issue with for I-cord straps is that they do turn out nearly perfect round and thus will roll right off my shoulder if I use it that way.

When I made my purse last year, I made I-cord and used I believe they were a size 10.5 or 11. It felted up beautifully, the only thing I have issue with for I-cord straps is that they do turn out nearly perfect round and thus will roll right off my shoulder if I use it that way.

Hmmmm... Good point. I never thought about that. I tend to prefer bags with handles long enough to go over my shoulder, but short enough so the bag kind of tucks under my arm. Thanks for the advice on the needle size. I hope Michael's has them.

Joan

I need to get some double-pointed knitting needles to make some I-Cord, which I will felt to use as handles on felted crocheted bags. Since I will be felting it, I think I will need relatvely large needles?

If I purchase only one set of dpn, which size would you recommend?

Thanks!

Joan

The 10 1/2s are probably a good size. I like to hold 2 strands of yarn together when making I-cord. Seems to come out better. I like bamboo better than aluminum because it holds on to the yarn better. Plus you get 5 needles instead of 4.

The 10 1/2s are probably a good size. I like to hold 2 strands of yarn together when making I-cord. Seems to come out better. I like bamboo better than aluminum because it holds on to the yarn better. Plus you get 5 needles instead of 4.

I just got a complete set of bamboo hooks on eBay and I really like them. I agree about holding on to the yarn better. I tend to crochet very loosely and the bamboo has helped by having just a bit more friction. So..... where would I find Bamboo dpn's? I plan to hit Michael's tomorrow. Are they likely to have them?

Thanks!

Joan

• 1 month later...

I have made I-cord with "chopstick DPNs" - just sharpen the other end of the chopstick (even thickness) with a pencil sharpener and sand it. I would guess they ended up about a size 6, and felted I-cord was about 1 cm wide or so (three stitches of Wool of the Andes to give you an idea of the thickness). Of course, you can buy DPNs, too :P, I just wanted to experiment with I-cord before I went out and bought a bunch of sets.

Archived