Lynn's review of the Yarn House - Elm Grove, WI

viggie

I stopped at the Yarn House in Elm Grove, WI last night to look for yarn for MrsWho’s Shrug I’m doing for the Crochet Olympics . I have mixed feelings about this store that are definately leaning towards the negative end of the scale. For one, I had to go last night, because it is the only night that they are open past 4pm…terribly inconvenient to have no evening hours. How are working people supposed to visit?? Service was incredibly slow which was also a negative since I had to go have some work done on my car afterwards and didn’t have time to dally.

I did manage to find yarn I liked… and it was at a decent price. But there more trouble started. They only have one skein of each color of each type of yarn out in the shop area since the space is so small. And I didn’t know until after I found help and had her grab what I wanted from storage that I found out they didn’t have enough of the color I wanted and had to order more. The woman helping me seemed very accomodating and said she’d order it right then and have it shipped to my house for me. That seemed really nice and I agreed. It turned out to be not so nice because when she called to order the yarn she sat there and ordered everything that they needed while I stood waiting! Then she proceeded to fill out a bunch of paper work making me give my name and address several times. Finally she CHARGED ME FOR THE SHIPPING! Does “we’ll have it shipped to you†sound like I’m paying for it?? At that point, I was late and frustrated and didn’t want to wait for her to re-do all the paper work so I just paid the stupid $6 for shipping.

The two ladies who where there were also difficult to deal with. I came in knowing I needed 24 ounces of DK weight yarn for my crocheted shrug pattern and they threw a fit and said they couldn’t help me unless I had a pattern with me or knew the yardage. Well I needed 24 ounces of DK weight…I know it’ll vary in yardage a bit…but jeez. They argued for quite some time amungst themselves about this, asked me if I could call the designer and find out, double checked that I didn’t have the pattern with me…etc, etc… and then got condascending when they realized I was a crocheter and not a knitter. Even after I replied several times that I didn’t knit they kept suggesting knit patterns I should use instead of the pattern I picked out and asking if I was a member of the knitting guild in my area…etc etc.

I’m going to have to give them another chance. Especially since they are only a few miles away from where I’ll be working starting next week. Cro Sha is at least several times as far in the opposite direction, but it may be worth it if this is the alternative.

Doesn't sound like a store I would frequent again. In fact, I would write them a letter stating that you crochet A LOT and use A LOT of yarn and it's too bad for them you'll have to get it from somewhere else from now on. I can't believe they charged you for shipping!

I also would write them a letter letting them know that you would not be coming back. you could have gone on line and order the yarn your self, and then you would not have had to deal with them at all

Wow, I live in the North Shore (Milwaukee) and was thinking about shlepping out to Elm Grove to check that shore out!! Not anymore.....Ruhama's on Silver Spring is really nice and everyone is nice to deal with (well...there's always one that's not, but whatever), and they're even nice when I bring in my kids!! I've been to Cro Shea, but I don't like that she has her cat there, everyone in my family is terribly allergic to cats. I'm afraid I'll be allergic to the yarn that was in the store.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I will write them. AFTER I get my yarn, of course.

That's sad about allergies, I hadn't even thought of that. She actually had 2 dogs in there as well that wandered in from next door last time I was there. I guess being a cat lover I figured yarn, kitties, crocheting all day...running a place like that seems like heaven! All she needs now is a coffee bar and I'll start hanging out there...lol.

I will have to check out Ruhama's. I'd never heard of it before...and I work right off I94 on Good Hope right now so it can't be far from me at all.

Wow, I live in the North Shore (Milwaukee) and was thinking about shlepping out to Elm Grove to check that shore out!! Not anymore.....Ruhama's on Silver Spring is really nice and everyone is nice to deal with (well...there's always one that's not, but whatever), and they're even nice when I bring in my kids!! I've been to Cro Shea, but I don't like that she has her cat there, everyone in my family is terribly allergic to cats. I'm afraid I'll be allergic to the yarn that was in the store.

I work right off I94 on Good Hope right now so it can't be far from me at all.

It's east of I-94 on the Silver Spring exit, almost to where it turns into Lake Dr. Look for the shopping center with the Fox Bay Cinema and it's right there!!

Gook Luck.

Thank you! I ran there right after work!! It's very nice and they have a huge selection of fancy yarns. I came home with 6 skeins of "marble" in lovely shades of blue and grey and my first bamboo hook. Thanks so much for the suggestion :)

It's east of I-94 on the Silver Spring exit, almost to where it turns into Lake Dr. Look for the shopping center with the Fox Bay Cinema and it's right there!!

Gook Luck.

I'm definitely going to have to take a drive up that way soon. I've been wanting to check Cro Shay out for some time now. I'll also have to check this other shop out - and avoid the Elm Grove one! I agree Lynn - you should definitely write them a letter!

I'm glad you liked Ruhama's. I have to go there this morning to get yarn for my spring fling purse exchange and wonder what I'm going to come home with. They carry much fancier yarn than, say Cro Shay, but it's so worth it!!

• 3 years later...

My mom works at The Yarn House. Granted, she is retired...but she knows her stuff when it comes to yarn. I walked in a few weeks ago when she was working and left with 3 skeins of beautiful yarn. Did I have a pattern...no. We made it up as she went along. I am surprised at the hassle you got.

I would highly recommend writing a letter. However, the space in the downstairs sales area is limited...hence the one skein.

Archived