Crochet Hook Case

Mint

I made this hook case as a gift for my aunt C who taught me how to crochet, she still carries them around in a plastic bag. :eek I'm kinda nervous about wether or not she will like it to be honest.

Pictures are here: http://mintcrochet.blogspot.com/2006/01/crochet-hook-case.html

Any ideas of something else I could add to it/fix?

(Er, other than fix the sorry sewing on of the zipper. :blush )

The case is perfect and very pretty! Were you looking for things to add in it? Stitch markers, a small ruler or tape measure, and my personal fantasy - one of those yarn-cutter medallion necklaces.

That's really nice, I like the yarn you used. Was that the diagonal stitch you used on it? Looks really good.

Yes - just changed the color at every end of a diagonal. It was surprisingly easy to do, I thought it might be more difficult to get a checkerboard pattern. I love that stitch! :c9

The case is perfect and very pretty! Were you looking for things to add in it? Stitch markers, a small ruler or tape measure, and my personal fantasy - one of those yarn-cutter medallion necklaces.

Great ideas, thank you. :) I think this is the perfect excuse to make some stitch markers as well as visit the yarn store. Any excuse is a good one lol.

And thank you all for the input so far. :)

Very cute! Did you use a pre-existing pattern or make up your own?

I just made it up as I went along. Here's my attempt to write up the case:

Checkered Hook Case

Hook: US I9/5.50 MM

Yarn: Bernat Boucle in

Color 1 = light blue, Color 2 = tan, Color 3 = dark blue

(Of course, use whatever you like :) )

Zipper: 22 in. / 55 cm length of zipper in Color 3

(This will depend on the final dimensions of the case, but to give you an idea of how long it might be.)

Outside:

Alternating Color 1 and Color 2 at the end of each diagonal row make a rectangle that is 9 x 12 in number of boxes tall x wide. Weave in your ends!

Inside:

In Color 1 chain 26 then single crochet starting in the second chain from the hook (if I explained it correct, you should end up with 25 sc on the row and this row should be about the same size if not slightly smaller than the outside rectangle).

Chain one and turn, doing the same number of sc on every row after. It took 37 rows total to get it to length, though always check it against the outside piece. It should end up the same size or slightly smaller than the outside length wise as well.

In Color 2 do a single crochet border around the two rectangles, going through them both to hold them together. Follow this by a single crochet border in Color 3 into the border you just completed.

(This border in Color 3 is the area saved for sewing the zipper onto.)

Pocket:

In Color 3 chain 10 and single crochet starting in the second chain from the hook (you should end up with 9 sc on this row). Do 14 rows total of this.

Chain three at the start of the next row and double crochet into the second stitch from the end. Chain one and repeat (should make an open filet crochet mesh).

Sew or crochet on. In this case I crochet it on doing sc through the pocket and the inner lining. With extra yarn on both ends I wove it into the inner rectangle to make the border and bow decoration.

Handle:

In Color 3 chain 5 and sc into it (should be 4 sc on row). Continue to desired handle length (mine was about 20 rows long). Sew or crochet on.

Zipper:

All that is left is to sew on the zipper. Check to make sure you have a long enough zipper - 22 in. was almost the perfect length for the one I made.

That's actually my first time writing something up pattern wise, so I imagine it isn't too terribly easy to follow. :blush

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted some picture of how to do color changes that cause the checkering, I will put up more pictures tomorrow. They are here,

http://mintcrochet.blogspot.com/2006/02/mini-guide-to-checkering-diagonal-box.html

Let me know if that helps or if it is just more confusing :)

EDIT: Added the color change on decrease images.

Archived