Crochet! Magazine March 2006 Edition

donnalynn2

Did anyone else notice the "free" patterns in this issue?

For example, on page 18 they have the pattern for the Groovy Granny Jacket. It is almost identical to the free pattern on Caron's website for

the Granny Square Jacket. (The motifs and colors are identical, it's just the shaping that's a little different.) According to the magazine, the pattern was provided by Patons.

Then on page 16 they have the pattern for the "Two-Way Ponchini". On the Caron website it's called The Fling Ponchini but it is IDENTICAL! Even the model wearing it!

And the Geometric Wrap on page 36 I KNOW I have seen somewhere before! When I looked at the Lion website I saw the Geometric Wrap! Although it isn't a free pattern, it certainly isn't new!

All in all I love this issue and will definately be making the shrug on the cover for my niece, but to see FREE patterns that have been available on the net for a long time is crazy! Anyone else notice this too?

I have a feeling these companies don't make a free pattern available in only one particular venue. Just as you've seen them on the internet, I've noticed that many are also available on the free printed sheets that some craft stores carry.

I highly doubt that a company is going to go to additional expense to create a free pattern just to be included in an ad for which they are already paying. If they're paying for the ad, it is much more cost effective for them to use a free pattern they have already developed.

Not to mention, as Elizabeth said, there are still very many people who have limited or no internet access from their homes. Even if they have access at work, many companies have restrictions prohibiting employees from using the work internet for personal use.

I think it's very understandable why they would reuse previously available free patterns, but it's also understandable to wish they would use new free patterns in their ads. Maybe you could write to the pattern companies and let them know you wish their print ads would feature new free patterns before they make them available elsewhere.

Good point Elizabeth. I would never have thought of that...why do I assume everyone uses the internet (my mom: "Inter...what???)

I can also see the frustration for someone who has paid for the magazine, only to find the patterns for free on line. Kind of like when you buy free patterns on e-bay..grrr

Exactly how I felt about the calander. While disappointing to me, I also realized that not everyone has access to the internet or knows how to look for them.

When people sell their patterns, sometimes they sell all rights to them. Sounds like the calendar people aren't buying exclusive rights to the pattern which is actually undoubtedly helpful to these designers because it means that they can continue to have them on their websites. So really not such a bad thing.

But what does drive me crazy is that there are a couple magazines that keep on republishing some patterns over and over in different formats. There are some patterns I have seen in a hardcover book, a magazine, and one of those little digest crochet mags. Good grief. Always the same collection too, it seems.

Authors and editors don't as a rule get rich from these compilations. I know of a couple origami designers and when they sold their books to their publisher, the publisher retained the rights to publish the book over and over. So you'll see some origami books out there that just keep on getting republished with slighly different covers over and over. But it's a special interest market. I'm sure it works for crochet the same way. (They even sort of get marketed the same way. Sometimes you'll see the origami book and paper bundles. Now you're starting to see the crochet bundles with the yarn and hooks.)

Yes, I found the 'free' patterns a little frustrating. However, I was more bothered by the inclusion of a 'knit' pattern in Crochet! I have nothing against knitting/knitters, but I subscribe to this magazine for crochet patterns.

charkitty

I agree. If they keep this up- I'll drop my subscription. It costs me too much money to buy a magazine that has unusable/unwanted patterns in it. Granted, I don' t make every pattern in those magazines I subscribe to, but that's my choice and I don't mind paying for that choice. But I'll be danged if I'm going to pay for a crochet magazine that puts knitted patterns in it. Let's face it. It's extremely frustrating to see a pattern that you fall in LOVE with- turn to the pattern page only to start reading and see it's KNIT with crochet add ons. I DO NOT KNIT, I DO NOT WANT TO LEARN. :soap:blush Sorry, I guess it hit a nerve. I'll quit now. But thanks for letting me vent.

** No disrespect to knitters. I love the work ya'll do. It's georgeous but I just don't want to have those patterns in my crochet magazines. :)

I agree. If they keep this up- I'll drop my subscription. It costs me too much money to buy a magazine that has unusable/unwanted patterns in it. Granted, I don' t make every pattern in those magazines I subscribe to, but that's my choice and I don't mind paying for that choice. But I'll be danged if I'm going to pay for a crochet magazine that puts knitted patterns in it. Let's face it. It's extremely frustrating to see a pattern that you fall in LOVE with- turn to the pattern page only to start reading and see it's KNIT with crochet add ons. I DO NOT KNIT, I DO NOT WANT TO LEARN. :soap:blush Sorry, I guess it hit a nerve. I'll quit now. But thanks for letting me vent.

** No disrespect to knitters. I love the work ya'll do. It's georgeous but I just don't want to have those patterns in my crochet magazines. :)

I couldn't have put it better myself!!! I know several people on here can knit and that's wonderful but I cannot! I have tried and tried and just can't get the hang of it! It's bad enough that there are way more patterns avail and cooler ones at that for knit than in crochet, but to buy a mag with the title "CROCHET" and see knit pics has me very upset! Like you said, I want the choice!

Now if I buy a mag that says "Knit and Crochet" then I'm fully prepared to be let down if the pattern that strikes my fancy is knit only.

As far as those without internet access, I understand they need to see these patterns too, however, I think it's ridiculous for Patons to get paid for putting a FREEbie pattern in a mag that pays people to design for them! When I shell out $6 for a mag, it should be NEW stuff, NOT a pattern that have been avail on the net for months.

Ok, I'm done ranting myself... It obviously hit a nerve with me or I wouldn't have created this post! :blush

Yes, I found the 'free' patterns a little frustrating. However, I was more bothered by the inclusion of a 'knit' pattern in Crochet! I have nothing against knitting/knitters, but I subscribe to this magazine for crochet patterns.

charkitty

Well, just about every knitting magazine has one crochet pattern in it. The knitting pattern in this issue was in part of a special section that sure looked like it was a sponsored section. Not sure why they gave it an intermediate ranking as it only involved simple increases and decreases. Maybe sewing the form in? The garter stitch coasters are just square swatches of a pretty simple knit purl. Not sure why they included the coasters as they could have easily been done in single crochet and a front post/back post combination to get the same effects in crochet. But anyway, looked like a sponsored section to me. I liked this issue better than the last, I have to say, but not because of the knitting.

I do like "Creative Knitting" which has the same publisher. It is one of the knitting magazines that actually has stuff in it that I might actually consider doing. Be interesting to see if a similar sponsored section is in the next issue of Creative Knitting.

I'm confused - are these patterns part of the ads in the mag, or are they the actual patterns you're supposed to be buying mag for?

In my magazine, it's called a 'special section' and says 'Crobeadknit: Stylish Crochet and Knitting Projects Embellished with Beads.' It has a separate numbering system than the rest of the magazine. There's a different ad on each page and it includes a page of knitting and crocheting instructions. I can't tell if it is specifically from one company or not, but it looks like a special insert of some kind.

Anyway, I checked my January issue of 'Creative Knitting' and there are no crochet patterns but there is one for the Knifty Knitter.

I bought the magazine the other day. And I noticed that insert in another magazine too...I think it was a knitting magazine. Sucks to have both magazines and repeat patterns.

I knitted for eons before I crocheted, and I love being able to incorporate both into my work. But I knit weird...with the right needle under my armpit. It steadies it and frees my hands to do all the work...hmmm, kind of like crocheting with two sticks, lol.

Note that the geometric wrap is now available on Lion's website as a free pattern. GOTTA LOve those Freebies!:clap

Did anyone else notice the "free" patterns in this issue?

For example, on page 18 they have the pattern for the Groovy Granny Jacket. It is almost identical to the free pattern on Caron's website for

the Granny Square Jacket. (The motifs and colors are identical, it's just the shaping that's a little different.) According to the magazine, the pattern was provided by Patons.

Then on page 16 they have the pattern for the "Two-Way Ponchini". On the Caron website it's called The Fling Ponchini but it is IDENTICAL! Even the model wearing it!

And the Geometric Wrap on page 36 I KNOW I have seen somewhere before! When I looked at the Lion website I saw the Geometric Wrap! Although it isn't a free pattern, it certainly isn't new!

All in all I love this issue and will definately be making the shrug on the cover for my niece, but to see FREE patterns that have been available on the net for a long time is crazy! Anyone else notice this too?

I bought the magazine the other day. And I noticed that insert in another magazine too...I think it was a knitting magazine. Sucks to have both magazines and repeat patterns.

I knitted for eons before I crocheted, and I love being able to incorporate both into my work. But I knit weird...with the right needle under my armpit. It steadies it and frees my hands to do all the work...hmmm, kind of like crocheting with two sticks, lol.

The other magazine was Creative Knitting. I just got the March issue of Creative Knitting. Crochet! and Creative Knitting are both published by House of White Birches. It's obviously a special section. I'm not really upset. They are obviously sister publications.

Creative Knitting has a whole section this time called "In Search of Easy and Different Crochet Edging." Of course the subheading is "I've always thought that it was easier to teach crochet to knitters than vice versa." What that has to do with crochet edgings, I do not know. Personally, learning to crochet did more for my knitting and I was a knitter first.

But anyway, they also have ads for the knifty knitter too, so I think they're just figuring if you knit, you might like to crochet, or do loom knitting too.

:hook:knit

She said:

"All those reasons are why I don't subscribe. That and I don't like every issue of any one magazine. I'd much rather go to the store and flip through the issue and buy the ones I want and leave those I don't for someone else who might like them."

I am the same way. I subscribed to two magazines in the past and a lot of times I was disappointed and wouldn't have purchased it if I saw it first. Then I'd find a pattern I liked in another magazine. That's when I also decided to no longer subscribe to any magazine and buy only the ones I like. Even then... I have found I have a nice collection of magazines, but it's my books that I go to first when looking for a specific pattern I'm interested in working.

Sondra

I totally agree with the free patterns appearing in paid magazines. I was just venting about this the other day. Thanks for posting your point. I agree 100%.

Hope

Shelbyville, KY

She said:

"All those reasons are why I don't subscribe. That and I don't like every issue of any one magazine. I'd much rather go to the store and flip through the issue and buy the ones I want and leave those I don't for someone else who might like them."

I am the same way. I subscribed to two magazines in the past and a lot of times I was disappointed and wouldn't have purchased it if I saw it first. Then I'd find a pattern I liked in another magazine. That's when I also decided to no longer subscribe to any magazine and buy only the ones I like. Even then... I have found I have a nice collection of magazines, but it's my books that I go to first when looking for a specific pattern I'm interested in working.

Sondra

Well, I find that the magazines are so expensive if you buy them one at a time that I'm starting to consider subscribing to a couple. I realize that occasionally patterns from online sources (like Lion Brand) show up in the magazines, but I also figure that it costs money to print them out if I like them anyway. I do like the idea of subscribing to the crochet magazines because I think that keeps the magazines stronger. I am sure that subscriber sales are what keep a magazine going.

Well, I find that the magazines are so expensive if you buy them one at a time that I'm starting to consider subscribing to a couple. I realize that occasionally patterns from online sources (like Lion Brand) show up in the magazines, but I also figure that it costs money to print them out if I like them anyway. I do like the idea of subscribing to the crochet magazines because I think that keeps the magazines stronger. I am sure that subscriber sales are what keep a magazine going.

I almost always am able to get Crochet! Magazine at 40% off each issue if I buy at Jo-Anns or Michaels...

Well, I find that the magazines are so expensive if you buy them one at a time that I'm starting to consider subscribing to a couple.

Generally it's cheaper to subscribe to magazines. However when it comes to crochet magazines, for me it is not. If I subscribe and get 6 or 12 a year but only like 2 or 3 of the magazines, that's a waste of the rest and not a savings of money. Sometimes there isn't even one pattern in a issue I like.

I realize that occasionally patterns from online sources (like Lion Brand) show up in the magazines, but I also figure that it costs money to print them out if I like them anyway.

Again for me, that's not the issue. Most of their patterns I've also found as free tear off sheets at the stores.

I do like the idea of subscribing to the crochet magazines because I think that keeps the magazines stronger. I am sure that subscriber sales are what keep a magazine going.

At best it shows the magazines that we are interested in those type of magazines. Buying them at the store shows them the same thing. In fact if we don't buy certain issues they figure out what time of patterns we do and don't like rather than just assume from mass subscriptions.

They do not rely on subscriptions from us to keep going. They rely on ad sales. That's where the money is. I've gotten subscriptions to Prevention, TV Guide, Shape, Family Fun, USA Today newspaper, Best Life, Blender, and a couple others all for free. How? Advertisers pay for the subscriptions and I got lucky enough to find sign up pages. I've seen other top name magazines given away this same way.

I'm not saying don't subscribe. I'm saying it's not always the best choice for me. :)

What gets me about the new knitting and crocheting magazines, is that they make these patterns and use the most expensive yarn there is to make it. Then you can't afford to make it; or find the new yarns in which to make them if you did want to make them in the first place. Very frustrating. Pinkroses.

Archived