What color do you make baby afghans with?

CLLinda

Hi Friends,

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the pale blue that most boy baby afghans are made with. It just looks a little too pale for a boy.

I usually make them out of RH Blue, and sometimes Sail Blue, or maybe green.

I like bolder colors for boys. I even have made a Red, White and Blue one for a baby. It's just my preference.

I do like baby pink for girls. Actually all pinks are pretty for girls. I have even used a rose color for baby girls and everyone likes it. Also, the bright varigated in feminine colors are great, too.

What color do you make baby boy afghans out of?

What color do you use for baby girls?

Or do you make all yellow and green ones? I usually try to wait until the baby is born or the ultrasound comes in, so that I know the sex of the baby.

What's your color choices?:manyheart

Linda:cheer

i dont use "traditional" colours at all.. the last one i made was navy blue.. i am working on some samples.. one is a browner peach and the other is periwinkle.. i have a bright purple in the works as well.. and i tend to favour lime green and orange..

why be like every one else with baby blue and powder pink?

I usually go by the size and the design of the pattern. A country blue is always nice for a boy. Multi colors mixed with a solid are interesting also. I am not really into the basic baby blue or light pink either. But sometimes I use those colors.

My favorite thing to crochet is baby afghans and I like to try a different one each time.

:manyheart

Well depends on the person...I have made the baby blue colors for boys and pink for girls..

But lately, I was asked to make a pale green, pale yellow mix for a boy

lavendar for girls and lots of strange combos to boot.

Friends have really wanted colors that stand out and not typical of a baby blanket so that the child can use it as a toddler as well..

I either make something in white or off white, or I go with whatever the preference of the parents (usually mom, lol) is. I like doing untraditional colors - I'm not a huge fan of baby blue and pink - I like the baby blue a lot better than pink though. I love yellow and lavendar for little girls, or lavendar and pale green with a touch of light yellow.

My favorite thing to do is to make a blanket that is bigger than a "baby" blanket so they can grow with it - I usually make one that is the right width for a twin bed but not as long (usually about 2/3 the length) so it can go with them when they transition from crib or toddler bed to a "real" bed.

I usually go with whatever colors are being used in the nursery, although I prefer to deepen the colors when possible (using a robin's egg blue instead of a baby blue, for example). I'm also a big fan of off-white; back when my friends seemed to be popping out babies every other month I actually used to keep a couple of off-white afghans on hand for last minute but still hand-made baby gifts.

I"m planning on making baby blankets for all my neices and nephews, plus my own kids. Blankets for them to save for THEIR future babies. My DH's grandmother did this for all her grandchildren, and as the only crocheter in the family, I thought it would be a nice tradition to continue.

Anyway, what colors have "staying" power over the years? The oldest "child" is 18 and the youngest is 18 months. I'm thinking about making them all star blankets, but I'm not sure what colors. Any thoughts?

If I know the sex of the baby before its born I try to go with pink or blue but I don't like light blue sometimes its so light it's almost girlish. Last time I made a blanket for a boy I used a dark blue and white. I have also made a dark green one. Bold primary colors are also nice for a boys.

Recently I gave a sage green blanket for a baby boy and the parents went crazy over it. They said they liked how it could be used as the child gets older because it wasn't the typical baby colors. I'm currently working on one that is deep claret. I've also made one that was eggplant. And of course pure white symbolizes the pure innocence of a baby. :bounce

My most recent afghan was made 'for' my mom to give to my SIL. They don't know what they're having, so my mom got white, green and yellow. It turned out very pretty, and I had enough left over to make a pair of booties, a bonnet and a cap (the 'strawberry' pattern from SCC). The colours though weren't my choice. I made one for their first baby on her Christening and used this square:

http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/birthday_flower.html

I alternated some solid white squares, some solid lilac and some with a lilac flower centre and white around the rest. It was big enough for a twin bed and my SIL loved it! Their daughters room is mostly pink, but the walls are neutral, so the afghan looks lovely on her new 'big girl' bed!

I agree with you, the pale colors are just to pale. I like the bolder brighter colors. I especially like the verigated yarns. They add something to the design.

Primary colors are great for little ones.:hook

I have made two baby boy blankets that were really loved by their Moms...I used all shades of blue starting with baby blue, medium blue, darker blue and then navy blue with some white....I always make presents out of the Granny Square that grows bigger as you go type blanket...

As i am typing, I am watching my fav...Judging Amy where she is wrapped in an afghan of shell stitches of all colors of blue divided by navy blue....How appropriate.....

I don't like to use the traditional colors for baby blankets. Instead, I use lots of different colors. Since everything I make goes to Project Linus, I stay away from using yellows. For babies in hospitals, yellow yarn can make them look jaundiced.

While TLC is overall my favorite yarn to work with, for baby blankets, I absolutely love Simply Soft. I've used a few SS Brites colors, and I can't believe how fabulous they are. I just made a blanket in Papaya (basically a rich, deep red-pink), and I bought some of the blue mint, because it's too beautiful not to have bought. I am working on a baby blanket in SS Seashell (looks like a butterscotch color).

I also have a soft spot for lavender.

Renee

I am very happy to see that others use different colors for boys than pale blue. There are just so many out there. And All of them turn out great.

Linda:cheer

I'm working on an afghan for a good friend who's pregnant with her second baby. I started it just after I found out she was pregnant. I got very traditional colors, pastel green and yellow, white and a mostly white variegated. It's my first afghan so I wanted to start it as early as possible. She finds out if she is having a boy or girl on Thurs. I wish I had found this thread before I started I had not thought about using less babylike colors so they could use it later on... Oh well, I'm having fun making it! :hook

I think other colors are great. I like variegated and brighter colors. It depends on the mom. But if you don't know, then old standbys are safe. I've made them in all colors.

My oldest son (10 1/2) still sleeps with the baby crib afghan my mom made him. It's a baby variegated that I picked out before we knew it was a boy. Now of course, it's too small, but he holds it only when he sleeps. (He doesn't carry it around or anything). I've made him a new afghan in his favorite colors and it is in his bed, but he doesn't hold onto to it. Now I wish it was darker colors rather than baby colors to last all the years. He won't let go of it...it's from "grandma".:manyheart

I like to use baby yarn for first blankets, so if i know what the baby is i make either pink or blue otherwise i do white/yellow or white/green combos, for when they are a little older i switch to a yarn like red heart and do all sorts of color combos :flower

I have never had cause to make a boy's afghan. :heehee I made my youngest an afghan in yellow and pale green (same as the yarns used in my avatar pic, now that I think of it), and my middle an afghan in Simply Soft's country blue (a light but bright blue) and whatever their bright pink color is called, edged in yellow. I'm fixing to make Esther another afghan in bright and dark purple.

If I ever had call to make a boy's afghan, I'm thinking I'd use camo yarn. I'm funny that way, though.

I've done most of mine in "nontraditional" colors, but I try to go with the preferences/personalities of the parents. The last one I finished was for my nephew, and that was almost *entirely* rainbow colors with a little bit of off-white. Early in her pregnancy, my SIL said she didn't want pastels (and then knitted mostly in pastels herself!) but the blanket will be with him long after toddlerhood which makes me very happy.

I like doing projects that can grow with the child, so different shades of the same color are also really nice--I did one in Patons Canadiana in off-white, light sage green and dark sage green--so it was cute but will pass the test of time.

Or else, I will just go with the pattern. :D

I just finished 2 blankets for girls, one in pink, peach, and light brown, and the other in pink, peach, hot pink, and burgundy. Now I have to make some for "sex unknown until born" babies, so I think I will be using neutrals--grays, browns--in combination with darker colors. Babies can't see pastel colors anyway. A black and white blanket might be nice.

Archived