Hello

yarnyviolet

Hello, I am Rachel and I live in Germany at the minute but I am Canadian. It is more confusing actually because my husband is British. I used to crochet when I was a child but have only recently taken it up again after buying the book simple crochet by Erika Knight. I am finding it very confusing though buying yarn here in Germany because they only go by needle size to explain the weight of yarn. My german is really terrible and even if I did know german they have no clue what worsted or Aran etc. is anyways. I have to order any books from the UK and I need all sorts of conversion charts because all the free patterns aren't metric. Other than that I am having fun while my husband is away for 6 months again (he is in the military).

I like to crochet small simple things at the minute. The only other crocheter around here is my neighbour who only makes one thing over and over again ( baby blanket). She says she isn't interested in learning anything else.

Rachel

Hi, Rachel! Welcome to Crochetville! :welcome Glad you joined us! :grouphug

When they give the needle size to explain the weight of yarn, the crochet hook size is usually similar. For example, Patons Kroy Socks yarn recommends 3.25 mm knitting needles or a 3.25 mm (size D) crochet hook. Lion Brand Wool-Ease recommends 5 mm knitting needles or a 6 mm (size J) crochet hook. So, not always exactly the same, but close. Check out these online yarn catalogs that include both knit and crochet gauges to get some ideas--Patons Yarns and Lion Brand Yarns.

Once you get familiar with working with various types of yarn, you can get a good idea of the weight by just looking at it and feeling it. And the best way to find out for sure what gauge you're going to get is swatching. :))

Hope this info will helpyou go out and enjoy those German yarns! :yay

Archived