Girl's Valentine's Day Purse

This is a purse that I have designed for my upcoming website. But I thought I would share it here until my website is live. Hope you enjoy. Optional flower motif is also included. This is a quick and easy project for even a novice crocheter. Please email or PM me if you have any problems.

th_0126004.jpg

Valentine’s Day Girls Purse

Finished Size: 6 ½†x 5 ½†, top of strap to bottom of purse: 18 ½â€

Materials:

3 oz White Worsted Weight Yarn (Caron Perfect Match used for sample)

3 yds Red Worsted Weight Yarn

H and G Crochet Hook

Yarn/Tapestry Needle

Large button, bead or other closure (red to match heart if desired)

Purse:

Ch 23 (Hint: if you leave a long tail at the start of your chain, this can be used to sew one side when finishing.)

Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain across (22 sc)

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across

Row 3 – 44: Repeat row 2. Place marker on Row 40.

Row 45: Ch 1, turn, sc dec over 1st 2 sc, sc in next 18 sc, sc dec over last 2 sc. (20 sc)

Row 46: Ch 1, turn, sc dec over 1st 2 sc, sc in next 16 sc, sc dec over last 2 sc. (18 sc)

Row 47: Ch 1, turn, sc dec over 1st 2 sc, sc in next 14 sc, sc dec over last 2 sc. (16 sc)

Row 48: Ch 1, turn, sc dec over 1st 2 sc, sc in next 12 sc, sc dec over last 2 sc. (14 sc)

Row 49: Ch 1, turn, sc dec over 1st 2 sc, sc in next 10 sc, sc dec over last 2 sc (12 sc)

Row 50: Ch 1, turn, sc dec over 1st 2 sc, sc in next 4, ch 3, sc in next 4, sc dec over last 2 sc. (10 sc)

Fasten off, weave in ends.

Fold bottom (beginning chain) of purse up to Row 40 and sew sides closed, weaving in ends. Turn purse right side out.

Edging & Strap:

With right side of flap facing, attach yarn with sl st to end of Row 41, above joining stitch. Ch 1, sc in same st, (ch 1, sc) in the end of each row to Row 50, continue across Row 50 in each sc and ch, then in the end of each row on the opposite side. Sc into the joining st. Ch 90 and without twisting chain, 2 sc into the joining stitch on the opposite side, sc in each chain back to the beginning of the chain, sc into the joining stitch. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Heart:

Ch 3

Row 1: Sc in the 2nd ch and next 2 ch (3 sc).

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in 1st sc, sc in next sc, 2 sc in last sc (5 sc).

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in 1st sc, sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in last sc (7 sc).

Row 4: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in 1st sc, sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in last sc (9 sc).

Row 5-7: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.

Side 1:

Row 1: Ch 1, turn, sc in first 4 sc, leaving remaining sc unworked.

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, skip 1st sc, sc in next sc, sc dec over last 2 sc.

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, skip 1st sc, sc in last sc.

Fasten off.

Side 2:

Row 1: Skip 1st unworked sc on Row 7 of Heart, attach yarn with sl st, sc in same stitch and next 3 sc.

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, skip 1st sc, sc in next sc, sc dec over last 2 sc.

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, skip 1st sc, sc in last sc.

Do Not Fasten off.

Edging:

Ch 1, sc in the end of each row down to Row 1 of Heart, skip 1 ch on opposite side of Row 1, 3 sc in 2nd chain, skip last chain, sc in the end of each row up to Row 3 of Side 1, sc in sc of Row 3 of Side 1 and the end of each row of Side 1. Sl st into skipped sc on Row 7 of Heart, sc in end of each row of Side 2, sc into sc of Row 3 of Side 2, sl st to join to 1st sc of edging. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Finishing:

Sew heart to bottom left corner of the front of the purse.

Sew button (or other closure) to the front of the purse, under the button loop on the flap.

Optional Flower Embellishment:

Ch 2, 10 sc in the 2nd chain from the hook, sl st to join with first sc.

Ch 2, (3 dc in the next sc, ch 2, sc in the next sc) 5 times, ch 2, sl st into beginning ch 2.

Fasten off, weave in ends and sew onto front of purse instead of heart.

Copyright 2006, SmartCat Studios. This pattern is not to be reproduced or sold without written permission. Finished items may be sold, but not mass produced without written permission.

I had a friend test it, who is an average crocheter, and she finished hers in less than 2 days, of non-constant crochet. I was thinking each purse works up in less than 6 hours, however, I am not sure about other crocheters. Let me know how long one takes you, please.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

What do single women do on Valentine's Day when all of their girls are taken? I'm 23, living on my own, single (no kids), with school and a job and have pretty much everything caught up with but this weekend is valentine's day. My friends will probably all be busy with their "man" and I'll probably be at home watching horror flicks eating a box of chocolates all to myself- anyone purpose a better idea?

Archived