Hello Everyone

laffingliz

Hi all I am new to crochetville. I stumbled across it accidentally and think it is fabulous and I love the designs and items folks have made and are proud to show off and share. Crochetville has inspired me to create my own blog to show off my items - I started it 2 days ago and is in progress. :hook

I have been crocheting since 1981 at age 11 when my Grandma showed me how to single crochet. I learnt how to knit when I was 5 in a school drive to make squares for blankets for starving children, but it never really took off until later on. I got a ladybird book called Crochet designed for children and followed some of the things in there, but they never turned out exactly the same - because I only had one size 3.5 hook that my grandma had left me when she went back home and the wool was never the same as in the pictures! Any how I seriously got into crochet as I progressed into my teenage years and my Grandma posted me wool from France so she really encouraged me to keep it going. I knit lots of jumpers in my teens and made a lot of crochet clothes for my sis when she was a baby (23 years ago!) along with granny square blankets and purses. (My mom does not knit or crochet - she says it's 'cos she is left handed)

I left home 14 years ago and mom used to visit regularly - I always had something on the go either knitting or crochet and she turned up one day with a carrier bag full of crochet monthly she had found at the Church Fete for next to nothing. Well I was amazed - they were a feast for the eyes - I had never seen such beautiful items and thought I could never do that - but I did. I made a tablecloth first of all, and cushion insets and then another table cloth for my partners mother, and lacy waistcoats then for some reason I stopped after my son was born nearly 11 years ago.

Then during the Christmas holiday I stumbled across my hook while looking for something else and that was it I haven't put it down yet. I did a search for crochet on the internet and was amazed at all the free patterns and enthusiasts out there and here I am.

I can no longer knit as I spend a lot of work time typing and have no sensation in my hands when I awake - if I knit - so I have had to knock knitting on the head. But I have no problems with crochet, and the beauty is items develop real quick.

I look forward to showing off my designs and seeing others'.:manyheart

welcome, liz. don't let mom get by with that left-handed stuff. i'm left-handed and i taught myself. we lefties spend our lives turning everything around. of course, then she wouldn't bring you all the neat books. never mind.:lol

Good to have you, Liz. I'm fairly new here myself but have loved every minute I've spent in this forum. The folks are all very nice and helpful. It sounds like you have a crochet addiction like me!:dog

A big "Hello" from Southern California. I'm another left-handed knitter and crocheter, so if you ever want to force the issue with your mom, we lefties are teachable! :welcome

Archived