I can't believe it!!! - Now with Picture!

sunshine1977

I was looking at Koolaid colors the other day to dye more wool. I usually just stick to the Koolaid Brand, but I was in an HEB store and decided to check out some of the other brands they carry. I can't believe it - I found BROWN drink mix!! HEB is based in San Antonio and I think is mostly located in the south half of Texas. They cater alot to people of different nationalities and carry alot of unique items and flavors you don't see in your run of the mill grocery store... They carry Flavor-Aid brand in several unusual flavors, one of them being Tamarindo (Tamarind). I just mixed it up, and it is a beautiful BROWN color. I also found Pineapple-Orange that is a really pretty yellow-orange color...The wool is soaking, and I can hardly wait to get the brown on there to see what it looks like! It looks beautiful in the dye bottle! I will post a pic as soon as I get it hung up to dry!

If it turns like I think it will and anyone wants BROWN drink mix, just drop me a PM and I will pick up some and send it to you...I know I will definitely be going back for more!! Flavor-Aid is CHEAP, like 10 for $1!

Laurie:hook

Well, shoot! I can't get a good picture tonight, but I will get DH to take one tomorrow in the daylight...The brown is really pretty - just a tiny bit more reddish than milk chocolate! I also learned a very valuable lesson...don't skimp on the size of the container you use in the microwave...In the past I have used bowels to hold the yarn in the micro, but they are a little big and the turntable gets stuck...This time I tried some tall skinny plastic containers. the yarn was a little bit of a tight fit, but I thought I had it well saturated with the dye...NOT...the middle of the skein in all three colors didn't take the dye...I guess I will just overdye the whole skein with more brown. The pineapple-orange is a really pretty color, and I was out of orange so I used 4 packs of lemon and just a sprinkle of fruit punch and got a really pretty coral orange color...I guess it is back to the sticking bowels!

Here is the final product using the tamarind Flavor-Aid -

NewYarn.jpg

I was very pleased with the way it came out - I ended up re-dying the whole skein and used a different orange this time - tangerine Flavor-Aid, along with the tamarind and pineapple-orange. I really love this brown!

don't skimp on the size of the container you use in the microwave...

You don't have to microwave it if you want to use other sized containers. I've used hot tap water in jars or ziploc type bags and it's worked perfectly. In the summer you can let the sun provide the heat and dye like making sun tea in either jars or plastic bags.

If you want to stripe it, lay the yarn out in a enamal roasting or glass 9 x 13 in cake pan. It's also fun to roll it in a loose ball and submerge in a bowl or glass. You'll get a variety of shades with the darkest on the outside of the ball and lightest in the center. Or dye one side of a ball one color and the other side another.

th_Finished.jpgth_roving.jpg

th_sherbet.jpg

Archived