CPK Pattern: Baby's Overalls & Long-Sleeved Shirt--Updated with New Shirt

Sabra

boy_baby_small.jpg This was made using the doll shown as a template. This is a Cabbage Patch Kids baby, one of the older ones. I am reverse-engineering this as I crocheted it freehand, so please let me know of any mistakes you run across so that I can fix them. I've kept it as simple as I can; there's pretty much zero shaping involved.

Materials

Sport weight yarn--I used Red Heart Baby Econo

G (4.5 mm) hook

stitch marker

yarn needle for weaving in ends

Gauge

13 HDC = 4"

12 rounds = 4"

Note: Rounds are NOT joined with a slip stitch; work in a continuous spiral.

Overalls

Chain 44. Join into a circle.

1: HDC once into each st. around. Place stitch marker into last HDC to keep your place.

2 - 8: HDC once into each st. around.

Begin leg:.

9: HDC in first 22 sts. Place a stitch marker in #22.

10: Begin round 10 in the first stitch of round 9. All remaining sts on round 8 will remain unworked for now. HDC in each st around. (22 HDC)

11 - 20: HDC in each stitch around.

21: Slst in each HDC. Join to first slst & finish off.

The other leg is worked the same. Just join your yarn in the first unworked stitch on round 8. Leave a long tail when you start so you can use it to sew up any small hole at the crotch (don't remember offhand if I had one or not).

Begin bib:

Flip the pants so the waistline is right side up. Working in the free loops of the starting chain, sc in each st. around Finish off.

1: Join yarn in st #10. HDC in that stitch & in next 16 sts. 17 HDC

2 - 6: Ch 1, turn. (Note that here I am not using the typical "ch 2 counts as 1 HDC". The turning chain here will not count as a pattern stitch.) HDC in each stitch.

Do not finish off at thr end of row 6.

7: Ch 1, turn. HDC only in first 4 sts. 4 HDC

8 - 18: Ch 1, turn. HDC in each st. Finish off at the end of row 18, leaving a long tail.

Use that tail to sew the strap to the waistband on the back. There should be 5 sts on the waistband between the bib section and where you start to sew the strap.

Make the other strap in the same fashion, joining your yarn on st 13 of row 6.

OK, I'll come back with a pattern for the shirt in a bit; I can't for the life of me figure out how I made this one. :blush

Here's the shirt pattern:

baby_boy_new_shirt_small.jpg There is only ONE seam to sew on this shirt.

Materials

Sport weight yarn--used Red Heart Baby Econo, perhaps 1/4 skein's worth

H hook

Gauge

13 sts = 4"

10 rows = 4"

Directions:

Chain 45

1: DC in 4th chain from hook (first 3 chains count as 1 DC) and in each remaining chain. 43 DC

2 - 6: Ch 2, turn. (Note that in this pattern the turning chains do not count as the first st.) DC in each st across. 43 DC

7a: Sl st in first 3 sts. HDC in next 16 sts, leaving remaining sts unworked.

8a & 9a: Ch 1, turn. (Turning chain doesn't count here either.) HDC in each st. 15 HDC At end of row 9a, finish off.

7b: Skip 6 sts. Join in next st with sl st. HDC in that st and in next 14 sts, leaving 3 sts at end unworked.

8b & 9b: Work the same as 8a & 9a but do not finish off at the end.

10: Ch 6. Join to end of row 9a by sc'ing in the end stitch. Sc in each of next 14 HDCs. Ch 6. Sc in end of 9b & in next 14 sts. Finish off.

Sew the side seam.

Sleeves:

1: Join into one of the sts on Row 6 with a slst. DC around armhole evenly. How many sts you wind up with doesn't matter much (I had 20), just make note of the number so you can ensure the same number of sts on the other sleeve. Place a stitch marker in the last st on round one to keep your place.

2 - 5: DC in each st around.

6: Sc, ch 1 in each st around. At end, join with sl st to first sc & finish off.

Make 2nd sleeve in the same manner as the first.

Trim: Join with sl st in any st on the neckline. Work (sc, ch 1) in each st around. Join to first sc with sl st & finish off.

Weave in all loose ends.

• 1 month later...

That is a great pattern....am now making clothes for the grandchildren's cabbage patch kids!...Who would have ever thought they would re-appear after so many years.... Please tell me the height of the cabbage patch baby which you used as you model. The one I am now dressing for the 3 yr old grandson was formally owned by my daughter. It is bald and has a hole in its mouth for a soother. The search for a soother has not yet begun....:lol J.

any chance of modifying this pattern for an infant or baby??? I would love that...We make infant sweaters for hospitals and this would be great, please let me know if you can adjust the pattern for babies..:cheer

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived