Good sites for learning HTML and other web stuff

Donna

Are you new to HTML and blogs and all this web stuff? :help Help is here! :yay2

I thought it would be good to have a thread where we can list our favorite web sites that have tutorials and tips for learning HTML and other web stuff. This is not the place for questions! List sites here only!

I like these: :heart

:star HTML Goodies for their great tutorials. They also have a non-techinical introduction and primers.

:star Knitblog.com for their help section and their info on bandwidth theft.

:star If you use Blogger, don't forget to check out Blogger Help. It is actually quite good!

I learned all the good basic stuff at Lissa Explains it All. Yes, it's a kids HTML site and yes I was finally able to understand what I was supposed to do. I still refer back to it constantly for quick reference. (I think she was 12 when she started that site, how good is that?) :)h

This place

www.w3schools.com/

They have tutorials for HTML DHTML XML CSS any type of stuff you can do on webpages and the web. Really great to have for quick lookups as well as they have lists of what tags do what.

ALSO:

www.htmlclinic.com/index.php

www.aaahtml.com/

HEX ColorCodes:

colormixers.com/

www.colorschemer.com/online.html

www.visibone.com/colorlab/big.html

Also throwing out :

The Free Site

the best place to find out free things online, they have a really good list of webmaster freebies.

I'll update more I'm sure as I go through my bookmarks.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me why I can't bring up any of the posted sites in the forum, when I click on it i get a funny "plopping" noise (can you tell I'm not that knowledgeable on the computer?):think

All links open in a new window, quite possibly you have a pop-up blocker that is prohibitting the windows from opening. You should be able to change those settings.

This post is a great idea! I started my blog....well, maybe that's an overstatement..actually I named it and I can get to it, but there's nothing on it :P. I'm in desperate need of help...thanks so much for the info!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Here are a couple of other sites that I have found particularily helpful. They cover both HTML and CSS (Style Sheets). Actually very easy to read, and not too geeky.

www.htmldog.com

And this site has some decent reference material. Especially "websafe" colors. A bit more geekly, but still good.

www.webmonkey.com

I really don't think my old help pages are very helpful anymore, but they might help fill in some question gaps if anyone is trying to learn and already knows some of the basics. I was thinking about re-writing these pages to include more & make more sense when I re-posted them but there are already so many great sites out there. Figured I'd post the link, since it's more useful than not!

http://mermaiden.net/Tips/

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi! I am a web developer/designer by trade. I have more links than I can count in my delicious bookmarks. Go there and look under the WebIndustryInfo category:

http://del.icio.us/blueskyday

One of my recently bookmarked articles is "Secrets of Self Taught Web Developers." This has many great links.

Another good resource is http://www.popurls.com . This shows the top Digg and Delicious sites of the day, many of which are web related. It's a great place to see what the most popular tutorials are.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

All i want to do is change the background and add a banner. I don't want widgets, JavaScript or anything else that distracts from what i want my visitors to read or see. I've tried to learn HTML and CSS but for me, learning Cantonese whilst juggling eggs with my big toes would be far easier.

Ideally want i want is a template that says in bold (Insert your background image here) or ( Insert your title banner here)

Does anyone know where i can get such a thing?

• 3 years later...