New Crocheter from Tampa, Florida checking in!

Swayde

Heya ya'll...

My name is Barbara. I am a 27 year old housewife living in Tampa, Florida, which also happens to be where I was born and raised.

I just recently got into crocheting, like 2 weeks ago, so I am a newbie! My mother had taught me some basic crocheting about 10 years ago. Together we made an afghan, but after that I never had the time or desire to really make anything else. It was very difficult for me to learn from my mom since she's a lefty and I am a righty. My grandmother helped show me some stuff, but arthritis has made crocheting too painful for her most times.

Anyhow, I've always loved to cross-stitch and I'd been admiring a lot of crocheted and knitted things and one night my husband asked me why I didn't do some crocheting and/or knitting. I told him that I really didn't know how, cause it had been so long. So he told me to decide which I wanted to learn first, go to the store, buy some yarn and some hooks or needles, a book for beginners and he'd show me enough to get me started....WOW, my own hubby knows how to crochet and knit =) I was surprised and amazed.

Well, since this happened about 2 weeks ago, I haven't made many things...a set of 4 round coasters is my only finished claim to fame, but I like them and it gave me enough practice to start doing something I've always wanted to do, make doilies! I have been working on this one doily for about a week, it's a pinwheel design and very lacy looking. So far it seems to be coming along quite nicely. I plan to have my brother take pictures of my projects with his digital camera for me and I am going to start up a website to catalog my projects as an online scrapbook.

I will be making some snowflakes for my family for Christmas and maybe some bookmarks if I have enough time. I am a fairly slow crocheter. I also want to make a blanket for my husband to cover the back of his chair and a baby blanket for a friend of mine who just found out she's pregnant.

Anyhow, I've been doing a LOT of research online and stockpiling patterns and stuff. I look forward to sharing and learning with you all here.

~Barbara

:welcome to Crochetville Barbara, and to the wonderful world of crochet! :knit

I live in Florida too! There aren't too many Floridians on the board so I was glad to see your post! :yay2

I'm 24 years old, and just started crocheting this year. I haven't really tried doilies yet. I'm not that brave to be working with such a small hook.

Well, hubby and I live in Orlando (Clermont) and I have some friends that live in Pinellas Park.

We should get together some time. :coffee

Anyways, it's great that your husband showed you how to crochet and I hope you really enjoy it here! :hug

Welcome Barbara! :wave

I think it's cool that your DH encourages your hobby! Even more cool, is the fact that HE KNOWS HOW to crochet too!

Glad to have you here with us. :yes

Thank you ALL for the warm welcomes =)

And Jayme, would be wonderful to be able to make a new friend nearby, especially one that I could share my crocheting with =) We live actually in Riverview, but it's only 5 minutes south of Tampa city limits. We are very close to I-75 and I-4, matter of fact, my husband works for BrightHouse and does occasionally have to go as far as Orlando.

~Barbara

Guest mishakitty78

Hi Barbara!

Welcome!

I'm in Sarasota (not too far south of you). If you ever start to head down here, let me know - there's a great yarn store right behind my house :)h

Melissa

Hi Melissa =)

Nice to meet another local =) How far from Anna Maria Island are you? Occasionally we head down there to go to the beach because the beaches around here are not as nice, and are usually very crowded.

Guest mishakitty78

Anna Maria Island is a bit north of us, maybe about 20 minutes or so? depending on the traffic. If you like the beaches, try Siesta beach too - it's down here in central Sarasota - the beaches are gorgeous there.

Melissa

Archived