G'day from the land of OZ..

cupcake

I cant believe I got 4 pages of welcomes! :hug You are a friendly lot. Thanks for that. I only hope I can keep up with the chatter as this is an incredibly quick board...now if only I could crotchet as quick as you guys post I would have a lot more finished project s to be proud of (lol) I have decided that this is the sort of place I needed to keep me motivated.:manyheart

Welcome to Crochetville, from the Greater Boston area, Massachusetts, that is!

How is your summer going? It's been a mild winter here, punctuated by bothersome snowstorms. Wish I could go to the beach (and be warm) for Christmas! And only drive 45 minutes!

Welcome to Crochetville, from the Greater Boston area, Massachusetts, that is!

How is your summer going? It's been a mild winter here, punctuated by bothersome snowstorms. Wish I could go to the beach (and be warm) for Christmas! And only drive 45 minutes!

Our summer has been very hot marked by high temperatures and humidity and thunderstorms where I live, and bushfires down South. We are about 5minutes from Surfers Paradise which is a very popular tourist destination because of the sun and sand and surf! . Here is a photo of a lightening storm recently over the sea from my back deck.

(click on the image for a larger view)

img52810qa.th.jpg

This is the Gold Coast from the top of the building you can see in the left in the above photo.

Looking North to Brisbane:

img58550xm.th.jpg

Looking South. Sydney is about 1,600k south from here.

img58490kk.th.jpg

I live 5k west of the buiding.

I hope you find these interesting. I know they are not about crotchet, but it is crotchet that brought me to Crotchetville.

I am not sure what part of the country you are from Fishbaby, but nice to know you are here.

I'm nowhere near the Gold Coast but all the same glad to know you think it's nice I'm here :lol I'm sure I've confused some people with the rug/blanket/afghan thing too, but I've always called rugs the things you put on the floor and a blanket the thing you put on your bed, like afghans. Oh well, each to their own :hook

I'm sure I've confused some people with the rug/blanket/afghan thing too, but I've always called rugs the things you put on the floor and a blanket the thing you put on your bed, like afghans. Oh well, each to their own

hehe so what do you use a mat for???:lol

I do remember my Nana and great Aunts in Ballarat used to call them Afhgans. I went to Spotlight today and they were selling patterns for babies rugs and Rugs, Rugs, Rugs:

http://www.patons.biz/publication_details.asp?SelID=67&ID=917&name=1122

Made me laugh. Maybe we call them rugs because we have become too PC or cant spell affgan and "rug" is easier :think btw I was surprised this book was still arround as I have had mine for yonks.

Hi Cupcakes, I am also in Queensland, about 2 1/2 hours away from Brisbane in a small country town. i have been crocheting for a long time but have just started making afghans. I have been doing doilies for a long time and really love them, althought I dont have any to show. I am planning on making the swan doily for myself but i am sure it will take a lot of practice as I cannot read patterns very well. I have been more of a diagram crocheter but am now venturing into patterns as there dont seem to be to many diagram patterns out there for clothings and other items.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Julie in Allora, Australia!

Hi Cupcakes, I am also in Queensland, about 2 1/2 hours away from Brisbane in a small country town. i have been crocheting for a long time but have just started making afghans. I have been doing doilies for a long time and really love them, althought I dont have any to show. I am planning on making the swan doily for myself but i am sure it will take a lot of practice as I cannot read patterns very well. I have been more of a diagram crocheter but am now venturing into patterns as there dont seem to be to many diagram patterns out there for clothings and other items.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Julie in Allora, Australia!

Well hello! This may seem way off topic but you dont happen to know a guy in Allora called Templeofdoom(?)... I mean Allora inst that big, and I met Temple on another forum... It would be a really funny co-incidence if you did!

I am sure thre must be a beginners swan pattern about. If there is, the people on this forum will sure as heck know where to find it!:manyheart

Hey there Cupcake. I am an ex Brisbanite/Brisvegan now living back in Melbourne surrounded by bushfires (well I was last week). Welcome to "the Ville". Lionbrand has 1 store in Australia (Melbourne) that stocks their wool. Pretty expensive though - starting at $13.00 a ball. I will send the details through via PM, also some other links that might help with the confusion between our neighbours over the ocean and us.

Go Brisbane Lions

Sam

Archived