G'day from the land of OZ..

cupcake

G'day, I have mooched arround for a while and now joined. I have been crotcheting since I was born. I escaped from my mothers womb with a crotchet hook I found in the delivery suite (lol). It is one of my great passions. I envy those of you in the Northern Hemisphere with your plentitude of patterns and yarns. I am keen to understand some of the lingo better as well. The american terms are different and I always need to do a mental translation.

I have completed a ton or rugs in my life which is really quite stupid as it is quite hot where I live. I am currently on a crotcheted towel craze as well as beach ponchos and bags. I just love seeing all the finished projects you guys post. What an amazing source of talent.

"can wait" or "cant wait" to go home Elegant?

Can someone please explain about the discloths? Might seem a dopey question, but do you actually use these to wash your dishes and clean up slops? Sounds like a waste of treble to me or have I misunderstood.

Hi, Cupcake and welcome!!!!

Here ponchos are quite popular. I see girls wear them all the time. Though ours are not for the beach.

I'm brand new here. I crochet edges around fleece baby blankets. Sometimes I'll do a whole baby blanket. I like making things for premature babies.

Can you get yarn mail order from Europe? My favorite yarn shop only ships in the continental US. Bummer. I was going to recommend them to you because they have yarn from Canada, England, Italy, and pretty much all over.

Glad you're here, Mary

"can wait" or "cant wait" to go home Elegant?

Can someone please explain about the discloths? Might seem a dopey question, but do you actually use these to wash your dishes and clean up slops? Sounds like a waste of treble to me or have I misunderstood.

yup. they really are for washing dishes (although i try to avoid dishes as much as possible). you make them out of cotton yarn and they are very durable. i have a friend who has a whole drawer in her kitchen full and won't use any other kind. she has all colors. i made her christmas colors and fall colors. and when she was sick, i made her a "get well dishcloth":lol . she loved it.

Hi Cupcake (makes me hungry :cake ) Welcome aboard! You're gonna love it here! When you say "rugs" do you mean rugs that you put on the floor, or is it your term for afghans (blankets)? You said you didn't know why you make them cause it's warm there, so that made me think they are afghans. :think Anyway, welcome from Indiana!:hug

"Mooched around"... that's a good one, mind if i use it?

So, welcome! And you make rugs! Tis Only fitting. Rugs go "down under" right?

ok, that was bad. Welcome anyway! Glad to have another Ozzie on board.

HI, and Welcome from a fellow Aussie! I agree with you about the plentitude of yarns and patterns they have in the northern hemisphere, I am green with envy. I have found ebay to be the answer, [expensive answer], but well worth it. I am also dumbfounded about the 'things' that people crochet, it just amazes me. I'm sure you will enjoy it here, everyone is very friendly and helpul.

Welcome from Colorado, and I'll never leave here! There are some good British links that have reasonable shipping fees outside the UK; one I found today is diamondyarn.com; also, you might try smileysyarns.com; they have unbelievable prices on yarns, and that might help make up for the shipping costs. Crochet awaaay...

Hi:hi and welcome:welcome from the West coast of Florida.

We are really getting more and more international everyday. It is nice to see and meet people from all over the world who are doing the same thing. CROCHET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is really nice to meet you and hope you enjoy yourself here.:hook

As for our terms or lingo, feel free to ask anyone. We are all here to help each other and enjoy what we do.:hook

WOW what a response! I cant believe it!..

Sorry, "rugs" I meant afghans. That is what my sons call them " Mums crotcheted rugs"

The crotchet "mats" are the things on the floor. The crochet "togs" are really bikinies altho I havent done any of these for a while.

A "beanie" is something you wear on your head. I suspect a scarf is a scarf and a sock a sock!

As for crotcheting dish cloths I still cant get my head arround that one!

I am not sure what part of the country you are from Fishbaby, but nice to know you are here.

Archived