BluesForCP

My personal opinon about forums

Hi, moderators and fellow users...

I think Crochetville is a great place.

However, there is something that is driving me crazy...

TOO MANY FORUMS.

I personally feel that there are too many forums and too many sub-topics. If I want to see people's finished works, I don't want to seach 5 different forums for it.

If I want to find a pattern, I don't want to check three different places for it.

I think that this setup makes me miss a lot of interesting stuff and is difficult to manage.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not asking for anything to be changed for me... I am relatively new here.

Just my 2 cents.

Crochetville was originally set up that way, but as we have grown in members, we've had so many posts it was becoming difficult for people to find the things they were looking for. This way there is a designated place for everything and it is now actually easier to find what you're looking for.

Have you tried using the search feature? I've found it to be very useful.

actually if you think about it you should not have to search 5 places for some ones finished product..

if you are looking for something specific it should be in a specific category ..

they made the show and tell separate parts to save you from having to search 50 pages to find what you need.. and the search function at this board is outstanding!

every time i come here i click new posts ..it shows me what i havent seen since the last time i was here.. maybe you should try that and you wouldnt feel so over whelmed..

My first couple of weeks here were pretty overwhelming too and then I (cue angels singing) found the New Posts link and wowie did that make things so much easier for me. That is the way I view the posts now and then if I'm looking for something specific I will use the boards.

I just check "New Posts" when I read Crochetville. That usually keeps things manageable.

Hi, moderators and fellow users...

I think Crochetville is a great place.

However, there is something that is driving me crazy...

TOO MANY FORUMS.

I personally feel that there are too many forums and too many sub-topics. If I want to see people's finished works, I don't want to seach 5 different forums for it.

If I want to find a pattern, I don't want to check three different places for it.

I think that this setup makes me miss a lot of interesting stuff and is difficult to manage.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not asking for anything to be changed for me... I am relatively new here.

Just my 2 cents.

I only use the "New Posts" function at this point.

My problem is... if people are resorting to "new posts", because it is otherwise unmanageable, then perhaps it's not an effective design.

I am a member of some other (non-swing) boards, and most of them choose to have the bare minumum number of forums for this very reason.

Also, it is customary to SEARCH a forum before starting a new topic so that there are not an overwhelming number of threads. For example, I noticed that there was a thread started about Interweave Crochet's "Salon Capelet"... I know there is at least one other thread out there on it.

By managable, I mean that it takes me less time to view all the new posts this way rather than clicking into each specific board. It is time managment for me. As for all the other boards I think they too are much more time managment friendly when you are searching for a childs sweather vs. an adult one. I know which board to go to. If I'm looking for gift idea's then I can just go through the boards that appeal to me and look. You'll get the hang of it. It just takes a bit of time.

it is customary to SEARCH a forum before starting a new topic so that there are not an overwhelming number of threads

actually this IS something i wish more ppl would do ..

there are an abundant amount of threads on fulling/felting

and how to use fun fur etc..

new threads shouldnt be started before a search is done .. but some ppl just dont get that concept and clog the board with unnecessary threads

I don't use the new posts feature. I know what boards I want to look in and it isn't swaps or free form or a few others.

When looking at the board, everything with a new post in it is in bold. I read the topic and if it looks interesting to me I hover over it for the mini pop out with the description. Then if I still want, I click on it.

I do give thanks to anyone who'll look over a board before posting. :)

I, too, click on New Posts when I first sign on in the morning and if I'm looking for something specific I try the search feature. I also got myself acquainted with all the different topics on each forum to get a better idea of where things go.

With a membership as large as we have, everything is going to be overwhelming to someone new. Our mods and admins do a good job at sorting thru posts, updating threads, etc free of charge. We all try to get along, the best we can. And, your never going to please everyone. I would suggest trying the new posts and search feature if you are looking for something in particular. Browse around and get a feel for how the topics lay out. I only have an allotted amount of time each day for the forum. There are certain things I look for each day. Once you get used to it, its really not that bad.... at least to me:think

;)

I'm thankful that I can pop in here several times a day, so I don't have to click on new posts or any such thing. I've familiarized myself with all of Crochetville's amazing sections, so I regularly visit the sections that appeal to me, and I'm happy. The main sections I visit are Show 'n Tell, Other Crochet Topics, Original Patterns, Websites, Off Topic, Thread Crochet, and Board Help. I go anywhere if there's a discussion that interests me, but you'll rarely find me in felting or socks (for example). I have nothing against felting OR socks, but they don't interest me nearly as much as the other categories.

Personally, I love all of the topics Crochetville has, although I do see how it would be overwhelming/confusing for some.

After the new wears off, you will find your way around easier and this will be like home to you! One thing that is fun that I found after I had been here for about 3 months was the live chat! it is soooo fun and its adictive. I havent been on as much lately because of personal cercumstances, but you should come and chat, its great!

i am sorry you feel so overwhelmed, personally i like crochetville just the way it is and our mods do a great job setting things up and changing what needs to be done. maybe this forum is not what you are really looking for:think :think

I like C'ville the way it is set up. When I first joined I remember it could be a bit overwhelming sometimes with so many new posts. It can still be at times even though I use the 'new post' button and hover over the thread title to see if I might be interested in the topic...but I always find that even though I may have sifted through 7 or 8 pages of new threads/posts I'm still looking for more!!

There are a couple of things I wish members wouldn't do but I haven't posted about those pet peeves because the mods or someone else is usually on the same wavelength and what needs to be said (imho) is said. And that is worth a lot to me as the atmosphere remains friendly and supportive, unlike so many other boards.

Just my 2cents worth.

I totally live by the New Posts feature and the UserCP after I've subscribed to whatever threads I want to follow. I don't think there's too many forums or threads...I think, actually, that it's just right...

I'm not following what the problem is...even if it's having to look in five different places for whatever...what exactly are you looking for? What are your interests within the relm of crochetville? There is such a variety of interests here, I find it extremely useful, especially with the show and tells that things are broken down to the categories that they have...

If I want to expand further into a particular area (like houseware crocheting) then I'll go to that forum...works for me...

Some areas I probably won't go into for a while if ever, because that area of discussion just doesn't interest me right not...like spinning or felting...but it's nice to know that they are there and when and if I do get interested, there's a forum for that...

I like that if need be, we have the separate forum for other topics of discussion...even if it's not related to crocheting, yarn or knitting...

Oh and have to add, trying to think how long I've been a member now, I think it's going on about 2 years...year and a half, something like that...and yeah, it was different and overwhelming...and I've had long breaks with my visits...but I always eventually come back...and now, this place just clicks with me like it never has before...I'm not sure what happened in that time, other than this site went from ezboards to how they are now...

Crocheting by itself is just so diverse...in spite of me crocheting for 35 years, this last year and a half has been one big learning experience...and it is overwhelming by itself...but the best part of all that experience is that for once in my life I have a ton of people to share my passion with...thank God for the internet and Crochetville in particular...

I can understand your problem. This is a very large forums. I do think that the boards are more organized this way. Before if you wanted to see show & tell items (for example) there were pages & pages to sift through per DAY! If I want to see just bags I can go to the correct forum & see them all on one page. Imagine if you came here only once a week? The show & tell forums would be 50 pages long LOL! And that gorgeous bag you were looking for is lost on page 38 & you may give up looking by page 25.

There are a few different ways to navigate the forum, depending on your preferences. Search, New Posts, Jump box at the bottom, Index, etc. If you want to see all of them it's easy to jump from one forum to another. The main ingredients of a large "village" has to be organization & ease of navigation. I think the mods & admin have done an OUTSTANDING & huge job of making things easier to find. It does take time to find your way around...but before long, you can zip right into the area you want to be.

Also another neat feature some might not realize, if you look at a section title in the dark blue bar, like Community College, across from it on the right side is an arrow. Click it and the section closes up so you don't see all the boards in it. Kind of handy if you're never looking in that area. :)

Also another neat feature some might not realize, if you look at a section title in the dark blue bar, like Community College, across from it on the right side is an arrow. Click it and the section closes up so you don't see all the boards in it. Kind of handy if you're never looking in that area. :)

Nifty...you know I never noticed that? As it happens, I visit at least one section in each of those large sections, so I can't close any of them, but it is nice to know.

My problem is... if people are resorting to "new posts", because it is otherwise unmanageable, then perhaps it's not an effective design.

I'm rather curious, how would you envision the design should be? :think

I've been a member for nearly a year now, from just before we migrated over from ezboard onto this place. Things were much simpler back then, with far fewer forums and thus easier to navigate. But then, we only had about 750 members, give or take, so the posting activity was still relatively within the "manageable" range. But this forum grew - rapidly (just looked, and we are now at 4,045 members!) - and with so many more people participating, these few forums became far too difficult to keep up with. As someone else has mentioned, Show and Tell - which used to be a single forum - quickly got completely out of control such that most of the posts got missed because they fell too far back too fast. I can tell you, it was VERY frustrating, and even more so if you were looking for specific items (especially if you didn't have exact names for them).

I have often felt overwhelmed here - there's always just so much going on, and I'm the kind of person who likes to keep up with everything, but that's just not possible on a board of this size! I now mostly use the New Posts feature, and I've been much more successful at keeping up that way, though there are still many things I miss. But the nice thing is that eventually they have a good chance of popping up again due to a new member browsing the archives and posting a response on an old thread. Or, when time is available, I will go to specific forums and browse them myself.

I've looked at other boards of comparable size, and I've found this one to be the simplest and clearest to navigate. But, like all new things, it still takes time to get used to it.

I am a member of some other (non-swing) boards, and most of them choose to have the bare minumum number of forums for this very reason.

Non-swing? Not sure what you mean by that! Maybe I don't wanna know! :lol But, it's really hard to compare a busy crafting-focused forum like this one with others that are set up mostly for discussion/information sharing etc on whatever their particular topic is. And it's important when comparing, to take into account the size of the membership and the typical daily post count in determining whether more or fewer forums are needed. If a forum topic grows by large multiples of pages a day, then it is too general and needs to be sub-divided, which is what happened here. One of the things we pride ourselves on here is the fact that few posts go unacknowledged, especially in Show and Tell. It would be impossible to maintain that record if today's Show and Tell forum contained 30 pages of new posts! So these are just some thoughts to consider. And if you do have some suggestions for the board, there's even an area where you can post that, and you will get a response from the admins here (and if it's a good suggestion to implement, it will be used).

Also, it is customary to SEARCH a forum before starting a new topic so that there are not an overwhelming number of threads. For example, I noticed that there was a thread started about Interweave Crochet's "Salon Capelet"... I know there is at least one other thread out there on it.

Yes, I agree, that can be very annoying! But even when people do search first, they may not always find the topic, or just missed it and then inadvertantly start another thread. I know I've been guilty of that at least once myself, despite my efforts. Still, I do hope that people will take the time.

I have a little list of my own pet peeves, as well, but they are niggling little minor things so I don't bother mentioning them. Overall, imo, this is the BEST and most well-organized board I've seen! I do hope you will be able to become more comfortable with the way things are organized here!

Maybe I've missed it, but maybe there could be a "Finding your way around C'ville" in special BOARD HELP or similar. It took me awhile to catch onto the SEARCH FIRST, and it took awhile to get thru a lot of archived info.

Now that C'ville is growing into Metropolis....

Maybe I've missed it, but maybe there could be a "Finding your way around C'ville" in special BOARD HELP or similar. It took me awhile to catch onto the SEARCH FIRST, and it took awhile to get thru a lot of archived info.

Now that C'ville is growing into Metropolis....

Something of that sort is the making, as well as a few other things, so keep your eyes peeled for something soon (like 6 weeks). :)

Just my 2 cents but I really like the board- :manyheart I find this forum to be very easy to find my way around. I have been on other boards and just find it so cumbersome. I think i like it because there are several ways you can look at the postings and you can go with the one that works for you. Thanks for everyone's hard work we love ya!!!!!!!:hug

I have become an avid member of this forum only recently and particularly enjoy the show and tells. What is giving me the irrits is the number of new member messages we get.

Now I dont want to start a bun fight on this, as I know my approach is blunt and direct however I will make the following rant....

I log in once every 24 hours and there is on average 8 pages of new posts. :eek That usually takes me a good while to go through them. Because this is such a rapidly growing community, I would estimate that over half of the new posts are howdies, hellos and I am new messages. I too did one when I joined.

Now dont get me wrong, as I think it is lovely to welcome new people, but is there someway we can concentrate the howdies to one thread or to a different section or is that too technically difficult?

ok irritant number 2. (And this is a long term irrit of mine on other forums as well). I wish people wouldnt start a new thread on the same topic. Now I understand when the original has been lost somewhere, but when I see the same or similar topic/project on the same page of contents several times by the same author I lose continuity of thought. This might sound dopey, but it is a waste of new thread space and clutters the board.

Ok end of rant.... that was cathartic.... now back to the crochet... :manyheart