What do you do with an inherited stash?

I would make pet blankets or rugs with the itchy stuff and I once used embrodery thread to crochet my son a case for his game boy....It came out real nice I think I double stranded it...if I can find it I will take a pic and post it...

i know what it's like to have yarn that you inherited, my gram left me all her crochet stuff, and withthe colors that aren't hte prettiest i'm making a neverending granny square, easy simple and best of all it uses all the ugly yarn! wooo...i dont know what to do with teh floss...my gram used to iron on patterns on pillow cases embroder a nice design, and then finish it by crocheting a border around the opening...maybe to use some of it you could make some monogramed pillow cases for the family?

I haven't read all the replys yet. So sorry if there are some repeats.

The acrylic might be good for amigurimi or toys. Some acrylics can get softer after washings.

The xtra yarn could be good to practice new stitches.

You could use the embroidery floss to make a lightweight hat.

i know what it's like to have yarn that you inherited, my gram left me all her crochet stuff, and withthe colors that aren't hte prettiest i'm making a neverending granny square, easy simple and best of all it uses all the ugly yarn! wooo...

I like this idea. I made a similar one but it was a diagonal granny and I used a bunch of scraps. You could just make a big plain double crochet afghan and put all of the yarn in a garbage bag and blindly pick skeins. That's what I would do.

The stuff you dont want...put on ebay...

The stuff you dont really want to part with, but will...take pics and load pics on ipod or something...or a cd...then you can always glance at them once in a while. I wish there was a way to SAVE everything...but maybe some of that yarn can be donated to a senior center too and they can make some crafts to sell? who knows...

I love the itchy acryllics for rugs. They are so durable.

Here's some pics of mine:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4250960&a=31466836&p=69915190

Here's my basic rug pattern:

Yarn: 6 or more strands of yarn – just make sure that it's the same type. That is, all wool, or all cotton, or all acrylic. If you’re using all wool and intend to felt the rug, use only 4 strands and crochet loosely. You might consider doing all DC.

Hook: A size to correspond with the thickness of your yarn strands. A Q for example works well with 6 strands of worsted weight.

To make a flat circle, you chain as many as you want (a lot if you want a little hole in the center and fewer if you don't) and connect the first and last chains with a slip stitch. Then, working over the chain into the center of the chained ring, you crochet as many stitches (your choice, sc, dc--whatever) as comfortably fit. Connect first and last stitches with a slip stitch.

Count how many stitches you made into that center ring. That's how many you need to increase each subsequent round.

Example: Say you made 10 sc into the center ring. The 2nd round needs 20 sc--two in each stitch. The 3rd round needs 30 sc-- 2 in one stitch, 1 in the next, then 2 then 1. The 4th round needs 40--2 in one stitch, 1 each in the next 2, repeat. The 5th round needs 50--2 in the first stitch, 1 each in the next 3,

As to doing an oval, just picture a circle cut in half and each half put on each end of a rectangle. So you'll be doing straight crocheting down the long sides of the oval and increasing like a circle on the rounded ends. To start an oval, begin with a chain. In the first stitch, make as many SC as you want into the chain. SC down one side of the chain. In the last chain, SC the same number you did into the first chain. Then SC up the other side of the chain. Slip stitch. Increases for subsequent rounds are made in the ends and not the sides of the starting chain.

Note: If you make a really large rug (my experience is 20+ rounds) you don’t need to increase as much. In fact maintaining the same increasing will make the edges of the rug a bit wavy.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my UFOs is a bag of granny squares I got from my grandmother. I also got some scrap yarns and her knitting basket. I think you can scrumble/free style crochet with scrap yarn. Show people the yarn, they might like the colors.

Good luck Ellie 13

• 2 months later...

I have a pattern book for doily's that gradually change colors, which would be wonderful for embroidery floss of several shades.

The name of the pattern book is called "Annie's Attic Crochet Painted Doilies" . One day I'll have the time to try them myself.

I just got a box of some of my grandmothers stuff that my mom sent me.

It has a bunch of granny squares in brown, orange and blue and a shawl/cape made out of all of those little "daisies" with the Knit-Wit tool, She even sent the Knit-Wit and instructions and it is one of the ones from the '70's! You can tell that my grandmother used it alot to, it has wear marks on the top of the tool.

The Granny squares look worn, like they used to be in an afghan, but taken apart for some reason, I don't know and neither does my mom. My grandmother doen't even remember it, but then she has Alzheimers...

I am not even sure what to do with them....

I just read through this whole thread. Lots of good ideas! I've made rugs using multiple strand and a single crochet ripple pattern. They lie nice and flat. Have a cotton one outside the shower. It's from a frogged yard sale cotton sweater. Just call me frugal! Acrylic works great too, and you can change colors whenever one color runs out.

Alice

I'm sure someone else has had this problem :)

Also, I inherited an entire suitcase stuffed with embroidery floss. I don't embroider. I have a sampler she helped me make when I was a kid but other than that I have no interest in embroidering anything. Certainly not a big suitcase full! Can I crochet with embroidery floss? It seems it would make a very lacy, pretty thing, whatever I made :D

Well, that was certainly a lot of rambling :2spin

Ever Crocheted with Microspun??? I think it's the same stuff...lolol!

So many good ideas - so here's my contribution

Itchy acrylic yarn would probably make good scrubbies - small fast projects with minimum handling...

If you read charts - here are some Japanese patterns - http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/gosyo/new/interior_zakka.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page - click on the pattern you want to see and it will take you to the page showing the materials and required hooks - then you will see a link to the pattern - the last one down that has a pattern icon (I don't know what to call it - but it is the one below the button icon.)

The site has a whole lot of other patterns in Japanese charts.

I hope this helps.

iggie:hook

Archived