What do you do with an inherited stash?

I'm sure someone else has had this problem :)

My grandma died a few years back. Being the only crocheter left in the family I got all her stuff.

Well, a lot of is is pretty itchy. Really, acrylics have come a long way since grandma began collecting because some of this stuff . . . :eek She has some nice cotton and some acrylics that are soft, but most of it is stuff you just can't wear.

I thought of plant hangers but was wondering what else I could do with it? (because really there's a limit to how many plant hangers one gal needs :D )I'm ok with giving away most of it, but want to keep some to remember grandma. And even if I do keep the nice stuff how do I give away the other stuff? Pssssssst, hey, want some really old itchy yarn? :lol

And then there's the unfinished projects. On the one hand they make me smile just looking at them and thinking that my grandma did that (I especially love the ones that she pinned instructions to, written out in her handwriting :manyheart ) But (and it's a big but!) grandma's taste in colors was not exactly mine. And some of these things are not just colors I don't like, but, again, in itchy yarns.

Also, I inherited an entire suitcase stuffed with embroidery floss. I don't embroider. I have a sampler she helped me make when I was a kid but other than that I have no interest in embroidering anything. Certainly not a big suitcase full! Can I crochet with embroidery floss? It seems it would make a very lacy, pretty thing, whatever I made :D

Well, that was certainly a lot of rambling :2spin

I thought of plant hangers but was wondering what else I could do with it? (because really there's a limit to how many plant hangers one gal needs :D )I'm ok with giving away most of it, but want to keep some to remember grandma. And even if I do keep the nice stuff how do I give away the other stuff? Pssssssst, hey, want some really old itchy yarn? :lol

:lol Itchy yarn...remember it fondly...

How about tote bags, purses, scrunchies, doll clothes, stuffed animals, ornaments, pillows...

And then there's the unfinished projects. On the one hand they make me smile just looking at them and thinking that my grandma did that (I especially love the ones that she pinned instructions to, written out in her handwriting :manyheart ) But (and it's a big but!) grandma's taste in colors was not exactly mine. And some of these things are not just colors I don't like, but, again, in itchy yarns.

My grandma had the same taste when it came to colors. :P I sometimes wonder what she was thinking! :think

Also, I inherited an entire suitcase stuffed with embroidery floss. I don't embroider. I have a sampler she helped me make when I was a kid but other than that I have no interest in embroidering anything. Certainly not a big suitcase full! Can I crochet with embroidery floss? It seems it would make a very lacy, pretty thing, whatever I made :D

I've never tried it myself, but there was a thread here somewhere that a few people posted they had used sewing thread to crochet with so I don't see why you couldn't do something with embroidery floss. That should be a challenge!

The enbroidery floss would be great for bookmarks or other small thread projects that don't take alot of of each color...Also, there was a post a while back of a baby blanket make of squares, mostly white, but the centers of the squares were done in bright colors of embroidery floss...it was gorgeous!! As for the itchy yarn, I to would suggest rugs, chair pads, etc., or donate it to a women's or childrens shelter or the like for craft projects. As for the colors, just remember, those colors were all the rage when your grandmother bought them way back when...who knows, maybe they will come back in style one of these days!!:lol

Laurie:hook

Okay two ideas. Yes you can crochet with embroidery floss. If it is the standard 6 strand, it is slightly larger than #10. Usually when I use floss instead, I pull 1 strand out to get pretty close to #10. (I used floss for all the details on the 2 carebears I just did. Since there is a larger color selection and small quantities were more readily available.) But if you were interested in getting rid of some, my sister may be interested if you could send a pic.

As for the unfinished objects. If they are on the small side, how about getting a photo album and pasting samples of them into it along with her handwritten notes. If they are larger you could cut them to a reasonable size and sew the edges or glue the edges so they don't unravel. Or get a small/med clear container with lid and pack them away. I would put the papers in page protectors and wrap the items in acid free tissue paper to preserve them. Then you won't have to look at them consistently, but they will always be there when you want to feel closer to your grandma and your heritage. And it is a wonderful thing to be able to share with your kids someday. I just inherited my husband's grandma's circular knitting needles and feel honored to have that history.

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

I've never done thread crochet though I do have my grandma's thread hooks. WOW are they intimidating :lol Yes, it's the 6 strand so I think I could use a "normal" hook (I usually prefer a G but I'll have to go down a bit for this, or maybe use two strands together?). Some wool but mostly the other stuff, whatever that is. I think I'm going to give it a try at making something and then decide if I want to give it away or not. At least the floss isn't itchy in the least. It's soft and silky and the colors are just beautiful. I love looking at it, I just don't know what to *do* with it yet. We've used a few for kid's craft projects but haven't made a dent in the suitcase yet. I'll search a bit to find what others here are doing with embroidery floss and maybe get some inspiration :)

As for the unfinished objects. If they are on the small side, how about getting a photo album and pasting samples of them into it along with her handwritten notes. If they are larger you could cut them to a reasonable size and sew the edges or glue the edges so they don't unravel. Or get a small/med clear container with lid and pack them away. I would put the papers in page protectors and wrap the items in acid free tissue paper to preserve them. Then you won't have to look at them consistently, but they will always be there when you want to feel closer to your grandma and your heritage. And it is a wonderful thing to be able to share with your kids someday. I just inherited my husband's grandma's circular knitting needles and feel honored to have that history.

That's an awesome suggestion! A great way to honor and remember her.

Hi, ShannonC:

I had a kinda similar problem, though with less variety in the stash and more of a mandate from on high to finish the specific project no matter what. (Details in the thread http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20418 -- if nothing else, you'll feel better than no one is telling you how rotten you are to not finish the projects.)

To sum up a few suggestions that were helpful to me and mildly relevant to your situation:

* You may want to finish some of the UFOs in one way or another (e.g., framing squares or pieces as keepsakes) so that other relatives have something to remember her by without actually saddling them with an itchy sweater. And definitely keep the handwritten directions per previous suggestion -- they'll be priceless to someone.

* If you just can't stand the yarn, donating it for crafts is a great idea. You could even make it a "directed donation" for kids to learn to knit or crochet for Project Linus or another charitable recipient. There are lots of after-school programs with a service component (mine, for example) who just don't have the budget for even the cheapest Pounds of Love to divide into balls and 30 hooks for all the kids. Even the scratchiest yarn can make a nice baby blanket that goes over the stroller to block the wind (instead of right up against baby's skin). I assume it's also good fodder for amigurami projects. Which, again, are great donations if you don't feel the need for super-cute critters. Also, I believe that places like the Pine Ridge reservation can use slippers, hats, and scarves from any yarn in any color; search the Crochet for Charity board for information about Crafting for a Cause.

* When I get bored crocheting, I knit something, and when I get bored knitting but am afraid of my crocheted UFO (hello, unfinished hoodie sweater!), I embroider a baby bib or dish cloth or bread cloth or jacket or whatever with the totally awesome and ironic designs at www.sublimestitching.com. Embroidery can be a lot cooler than ducks and geese, and it's so easy -- forget cross-stitch, just follow the lines. It's so much easier than crocheting, in fact, that my eight-year old son is now an embroidery fanatic, working on his optical illusion designs and demanding his own hoop. If I don't get sufficient warning on a baby shower or it's someone I don't know well for whom a whole blanket is too big a gift, I'll embroider a bib with Chinese food carton with the good-luck symbol in Chinese on it in an hour, and people are generally pleased. So, that's maybe something to do with the floss that you don't crochet. If you can thread a needle, you can embroider -- just stick to smaller projects than immense samplers. (And, I'm a total sucker for Jenny Hart's embroidery designs, so I'll sing their praises everywhere I can.)

Sorry this went on for so long -- I'm in total work avoidance mode.

Best,

Elissa

Elissa, ouch! My mom doesn't really care about stuff like this so thankfully it's up to me what to do. And my grandma was a really practical lady so I'm sure if she's looking on she'll have no problem with me donating some stuff to charity. Thankfully, I already have my favorite granny square afghan that she gave me when she was still alive so if I only had that to remember her by I'd be happy (one of your typical colored granny squares with black being the dominant color - I always loved that one so she gave it to me!).

I was following the Pine Ridge thread on the charity board and think I'll see what I can make for that. My grandmother was really interested in Native American cultures (in general, I don't think there was a particular tribe she was interested in) so I think she'd like that something of hers went to a reservation. I *really* don't think much of this could be used for clothing but as Elisa mentioned blankets would work. In the winter my daughter sleeps under a scratchy blanket that my grand MIL made but it never touches her skin so it doesn't matter (and it's really cool looking - just row after row of single crochet in different colors - looks like a rainbow and must have taken forever!).

And there is definitely enough embroidery floss to make a scarf. Or a scarf and sweater set. Or a scarf, sweater, hat and shawl. For the entire family. Maybe two of each in case they lose one :lol Seriously though, i think I'll try a scarf for me. I had to borrow my daughter's the other week when it was bitter cold and realized it was funny that I don't have one of my own.

Edited to ask, what does UFO stand for? Un Finished . . . what?

I have a similar stash from my grandfather... There was no yarn included, just an unfinished doily (I know, my grandfather made doilies?!?), a bunch of his hooks, and a really cool little wooden thing that is a perfect size for holding things like my scissors, hooks, pom-pom makers, etc. How neat is that?

The only problem is that the doily does NOT have a pattern attached like your grandmother's - I feel like I ought to finish it someday, but it would require a lot of detailed looking and experimenting and I just haven't had the time.

I never met my grandfather - he died before I was born, actually - so it's pretty cool to have this little piece of him. It feels like I'm finally getting to know him in a way. It's pretty neat!

Didn't someone way back make nice big baskets by stranding together yarn and using a huge hook? I saw something like this in a back issue of Family Circle Easy Knitting and Crochet. An idea for the scratchy acrylic yarn.

But of course, I am sure that a local school or children's shelter or church would love the donated yarn for various art projects.

There have been so many great suggestions. I'm currently crocheting my 2 yr old her first twin bed afghan out of scraps. I had lots of cream, blues, pinks, purples, and greens...SO...I'm making 3-D roses w/ blues, pinks, & purples w/ green leaves and finishing the squares in cream. (Will post pic when finished.)

And the Itchy yarn....if there are Christmas colors...how about a tree skirt if you put up a tree...or rugs you can't go wrong. And if there's a nursing home or hospital near by...lapghans for the sick/elderly fun colors for the kids? (Maybe after it's washed, it may be a little softer w/ fabric softener????)

The thing with the itchy yarn is that my hands don't want to spend that much time touching it :eek:lol

But it's better than I thought. I went through some more and I found a lot of yarn that wasn't so itchy, just has colors I don't like (and I'm not saying they're bad colors - they're just not *my* taste). So I'm whipping up a bunch of stuff to give away and my hands *aren't* hating me for it :)

Oh, and the absolute best thing???? I pulled out the granny square afghan Grandma had been working on and the kids were all over it! There were three strips together and then one strip of squares by itself that she hadn't gotten around to attaching yet. My son (3) picked up the one strip and asked if he could have it for a scarf and I said of course. It fits him nicely. So then my daughter (7) said she wished she had one. I picked up the other piece and said here, it's a shawl. Both kids were thrilled :D They are not colors *I* would pick (gray and blue) but they love them and they get to wear things made by their Great Grandma :manyheart I'm going to dig out the extra blue and gray yarn and put a decorative border on them to finish them off.

The really itchy stuff I'll probably save for craft projects or something. We'll see how much is left when I'm done with what I've got now.

Great suggestions...and first thing I thought of with some of the UFO's was if you didn't want to finish them per se, maybe take your favorite ones and make a collage and frame...or put in a box frame type affair...

Once in a while someone will give me some thread or novelty yarn that they just couldn't think of a use for...and I'm happy to get it, but so far, except for one time, I'm having the worst time figuring out what to do with the stuff...I inherited some off white boucle type type (very fine) and thought it would be great to make a shawl out of...the stuff turned out to be horrible to work with, but I'm not giving up yet...

I'll figure it out...

Years ago I had to give up a ton of yarn that I actually inherited from my mom...and we are talking colors of the 70's here...and for a decade I couldn't figure out a good use for any of it...well, most of that yarn went to an aunt who was bemoaning the fact that she couldn't find that particular shade of olive green that I actually had in that inherited bag of yarn...she was over the moon when I gave her the yarn...although my uncle wasn't too pleased...but it allowed her to finish up a project she had going...

• 6 months later...

You could make beautiful painted doilies. If you have several shades of one single color, like for example, 3 or 4 shades of purple, or 3 or 4 shades of pink. You could make the center of your doilies in the darkest shade, and then go paler by degrees until you make the edge of the palest hint of the color. It would be lovely.

Just an idea. :yes

Cloty

I like the idea of a shadow box. It could contain an unfinished piece w/Grandma's hook, small ball of yarn attached to the project, handwritten pattern or notes, a picture of Grandma (how cool if you could find one of her crocheting?), her name and her birth and death dates. It might also include a sentence or two about her or where she fits in the family tree. This shadow box could end up being a treasured item handed down to the crocheter or knitter of each generation. Each recipient could sign their own name on the back and further add to the historical and sentimental value of the shadowbox.

Good luck doing something wonderful!

I was going to suggest pet toys too. I like to use soft yarn for the blankets, but my cats LOVE to roll around on rough things and grass sizle ( I can't spell), so they would probably love it! And Tapenga is asking for donations for the cat shelter in Anchorage.

I like many of the ideas folks came up w/ for the ufo's and the yarn from your grandmother. I have 1 for the embroidery floss, though its not crochet (please don't hurt me).

If you have kids, they could use it to make friendship bracelets for all their friends. I loved doing that even when I was in college and my friends and I came up w/ some intriquet ways of doing them. there's the very simple way of using 3-7 (might could do up to 9 lengths but its pushing it depending on flexibility of the maker) in different colors. Cut them at least 3 times the loose width around your wrist. each length you fold in 1/2 and keep them sort of separate from the others initially, just so they lay right when you tie them. take the open ends and tie together (this is why the strands were layed so they didnt get tangled up too much).

pin or clamp down to a solid surface (in college we used safety pins to our pants legs, clip boards, etc). separate the treads looped ends and place 1 loop over each finger, leaving a forefinger open, can be on either hand. w/ finger, go in and out of the loops on the OTHER hand till you get to the last 1 and pull through. Dexterity part, shift the loops on that hand to the outside so the forefinger is free and repeat to the other side. Pulling tight, weave until you have a bracelet large enough to go around wrist. tie a knot on that end, and tie onto wrist.

I hope it was ok to post the directions for that for your kids to get started w/. Then they could have friendship bracelet making w/ their friends and everyone in school will have a bracelets :D There are knotting methods also, can probably find those online or, if not, then the craft stores will have some.

could also maybe use it as a trim on doilies... or to crochet jewelry instead of using reg threads.... adding beads.. making little floss pompom-ish dolls....or, 1 sort of out there idea is unroll it all and use it to stuff a pillow or something. :D

good luck w/ finding an idea that works for you.

Sandy

HI there, Still need a home for your "itchy" yarn? My mom makes rugs and afghans for people that have cnacer and for the kids in the REM home she makes rugs, mostly crochet out of anything she can find. If you still have it, she would definitey be interested.

Archived