What else can I make w/ sock yarn?

**Ann**

Hope this is the right place to post-if not-please feel free to move it ;)

So I have about 8 skeins of nice sock yarn (Pima Melange by Cascade Yarns and Regia cotton-don't know much about brands but these are the labels) I got it on sale and planned on making some socks but me and sock patterns don't work well together :think

So can I use this to make some halter tops for my 4 yr old daughter? Or maybe a vest? Will it stretch out a lot do you think? I've never used anything this thin except plain old washcloth type cotton which is a bit sturdier I think but not nearly as soft or pretty of course.

Thanks for any advice or ideas! :hook

Ann

Hope this is the right place to post-if not-please feel free to move it ;)

So I have about 8 skeins of nice sock yarn (Pima Melange by Cascade Yarns and Regia cotton-don't know much about brands but these are the labels) I got it on sale and planned on making some socks but me and sock patterns don't work well together :think

So can I use this to make some halter tops for my 4 yr old daughter? Or maybe a vest? Will it stretch out a lot do you think? I've never used anything this thin except plain old washcloth type cotton which is a bit sturdier I think but not nearly as soft or pretty of course.

Thanks for any advice or ideas! :hook

Ann

Hi Ann...I use sock yarn all the time...for socks yes, but last night I made two puppets out of some of it by using two strands together and a G hook. Nice texture too, and very soft...I think a vest would work well this way...

What else...scarf comes to mind...or even a light hat...I'd follow the care instructions on the label...I know I've made other things with the sock yarn, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment...sorry about that...

I think the halter top idea is great...and if you're worried about stretching, I'd double up the yarn...

I love working with Fingering weight yarn (sock yarn) for lots of projects besides just socks. I am planning out a sweater with it right now. (DH and I picked out 2 lbs of some nice shetland wool as my xmass present.) You can make anything you want out of it. It just takes more time since the yarn is thinner... But, it allows you to do more detailed work. The trick is, that there aren't a lot of patterns set up for anything beyond socks and gloves. But, you can always convert another pattern to work with your yarn. Just remmeber, you will need more yards of the thinner yarn than the pattern calls for.

• 2 months later...

Have you ever thought of making a fine gauge top or a lightweight, soft open stitched shawl?

I use sock yarn for all sorts of summer projects. I'm on a tank top kick right now, and I have some fingering weight yarn that is probably never going to be made into socks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sock yarn makes great baby clothes. Look for things that call for fingering -weight yarn . I made a really cute sweater with one of the bright self-striping yarns with ribbing and collar made out of a matching solid. It was a pattern from a book of baby clothes that I have had for about 30 years. I just used brighter colors instead of the pastels called for in the original. And since most sock yarn is part nylon, it wears well too.

I'm playing with moda dea sassy stripes right now. I got it to make socks...but only one of the free patterns for it is actually socks. The fun stripes and colors that sock yarn comes in makes beautiful wearables of all sorts.

Archived