CGOA Oakland Conference

Stitchinpick

CGOA is having a REGIONAL conference (not national) in Oakland, California on April 20-23, 2006. Since I am just joining CGOA, I am not sure what that event is.

April is a tough time for Nevadans to get over the mountain passes to get to Oakland -- I am personally cursed in this area. :2snow Everytime I try to go over the mountains, my presence causes whiteout blizzards and shut-down highways, and I have to sit hours in my car. Scarey!

Anyways, I want to go! Is it worth it? Do you really spend 4 days at it? Or is it something that after just a day or two you have done it all? Wouldn't it be fun to meet other C-villers there!

Anyone interested? I need to start saving lots of money now. :D

I went to the regional in 2004 (Burbank CA) & the national last summer in Oakland. As far as the conference itself went, the main difference was class size. I had a couple of classes with only 2 or 3 people. Almost like private lessons :) I had decided not to go to another regional after Burbank, but that was because of the location. If you didn't have a car, you were pretty much stuck at the hotel & their resturant. Since this years is in Oakland, I will be going. There is plenty to do (in walking distance)when you aren't in classes, at Guild functions, or at the Fiber Market. And of course there are groups of people everywhere, crocheting or knitting.

Alosha

Cooool! Now I really wanna go!

As far as flying being an option, then you have to deal with the airport and renting a car... I guess it is an option. Come to think of it, there is a train. Only it probably has problems during the storm too. I will have to ask around. It is only a two or three hour drive during good weather. During bad -- 14 hours. Pretty bad.

There are techniques classes, apparel classes, project classes. I've taken freeform, overlay crochet, tapestry crochet & more. As soon as the classes are set, the schedule & information will be available at the CGOA site.

http://www.crochet.com/

I should mention that it gets pricey between hotel, meals, & classes. But, well worth thre experience if you can go to one.

Alosha

• 2 months later...

This is my first post as I just joined this afternoon...I have made my reservations both for flight and hotel...Southwest Airlines and at the Marriott host hotel...will be registering for classes tomorrow by phone...the CGOA registration staff (740-452-4541, 8 'til 5 EST, M-F)are very helpful and friendly...you can do it all by phone rather than on line if you prefer...I have been wanting to attend one of these conferences for a long time and decided that this is the year to go...I am so excited about going I can hardly wait!!! I have only 2 concerns...one is getting to the hotel as they do not have a courtesy pick up!!! Hard to believe!!! They suggest taking a commercial shuttle service for $17 each way... CGOA suggested I take the BART, but I am unfimilar with this type of rapid transit...does anyone in the Oakland area have info on where to get BART at the Oakland airport as well as where to get off downtown??? How much would BART cost??? How far would I have to walk to get to the hotel from the downtown BART stop/station??? My only other concern is how to take all the wonderful classes they are giving!!! Many are at the same time!!! So many fun and informative things happening it is very difficult to make a choice!!! Thanks for your help...The Mad Hatter

I have been wanting to attend one of these conferences for a long time and decided that this is the year to go...I am so excited about going I can hardly wait!!! I have only 2 concerns...one is getting to the hotel as they do not have a courtesy pick up!!! Hard to believe!!! They suggest taking a commercial shuttle service for $17 each way... CGOA suggested I take the BART, but I am unfimilar with this type of rapid transit...does anyone in the Oakland area have info on where to get BART at the Oakland airport as well as where to get off downtown??? How much would BART cost??? How far would I have to walk to get to the hotel from the downtown BART stop/station??? My only other concern is how to take all the wonderful classes they are offering!!! Many that are of interest to me are offered at the same time!!! With so many fun and informative things happening it is very difficult to make a choice!!! Thanks for any information you may have on the BART...The Mad Hatter

Okay, all I can do to help is giving directions from airport for those who don't know the way.

From Local Airports

Oakland --- OAK

Exit airport. Take Hegenberger Rd to I-880 North. Exit Broadway and turn right.

Go 3 blocks, turn left on 10th St. Make right turns around the block to the hotel entrance.

San Fransisco (SFO)

Take 101 North, Merge to I-80 and go over Bay Bridge. Take 580 East off the bridge to 980 S. Take 11th/12th St.exit. Go 1 block, turn left. Hotel is at 11th&Broadway.

San Jose, CA (SJC)

Take I-880 North. Exit Broadway and turn right. Go 3 blocks, turn left on 10th St.

Make right turn around the block to hotel entrance.

There is a BART station within a block of Marriotts & I would think the station at the airport would be easy to find. My husband & I used to take it from Oakland to Berekely for just a couple of bucks round trip, but that was some time ago.

Alosha

There is a BART station on the corner across from the Marrriott. Several of us who attended last July's conference took it two stops to Berkeley to shop at Lacis, a threadies' dream.

I think the airport has a BART station right outside its front entrance, so all you have to do is juggle your luggage downstairs to the trains.

Unless you plan to do a lot of sight seeing away from the hotel, renting a car might be an unnecessary expense, especially the hotel parking is quite costly.

Thank to all of you for the info on getting around as well as the conference itself...I did go to the BART web page as suggested and it gave me tons of info about station locations, prices and even being able to buy a ticket by mail so I wont have to wait in line!!! My suitcase is on wheels so stairs should be no problem...the enpty one for bringing back goodies is on wheels too!!!

Would like more info on Lacis, a threadies' dream...it sounds heavenly!!! An address or directions from the hotel or the BART would be a big help...do they have a web page???

Also what can I expect the weather to be like during the conference...should I bring long sleeves and pants or short stuff???

Thanks again :manyheart Fran "The Mad Hatter"

There is a BART station on the corner across from the Marrriott. Several of us who attended last July's conference took it two stops to Berkeley to shop at Lacis, a threadies' dream.

I think the airport has a BART station right outside its front entrance, so all you have to do is juggle your luggage downstairs to the trains.

Unless you plan to do a lot of sight seeing away from the hotel, renting a car might be an unnecessary expense, especially the hotel parking is quite costly.

Thank you so much for the info and the tip on Lacis thread shop...I just went to the web page listed on your reply and found it very interesting...I have been thinking of using symbols for my patters and was unaware of software for this purpose...YEA!!!

Where can it be purchased and what is the price??? I do not have time right now to do the download so will have to try it later...how large is the download file??? Since I have dial-up it takes quite some time to download large files...

I had wanted to take a class in this at the conference, but am taking another class on teaching which will be at the same time...Bummer!!!

Thanks again for your help...Fran

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an Oaklander so if anyone heading to that show needs advice about restaurants and other places to go, let me know. The area around the convention center isn't great if you don't know where to go.

Fran, regarding your questions... The 12th St BART station is like right outside the hotel. There is no need to buy a BART ticket ahead of time. (I had no idea you could do this, actually.) BART will also be handy if you want to take a trip over the SF (only about 10 minutes).

The weather has been unseasonably crappy. Whether or not the rain finally stops by then, you can expect it will be in the 60s during the day and around 50 at night. Layers are the key to dressing around here.

It looks like I won't be able to go in and buy yarn if I'm not registered. :(

I missed this question:

Would like more info on Lacis, a threadies' dream...it sounds heavenly!!! An address or directions from the hotel or the BART would be a big help...do they have a web page???
Take BART towards Richmond, get off at Ashby. Exit on Adelaine, turn right and walk about one block. http://www.lacis.com/

Archived