Just a simple hint

Katchkan

Thought I would take a moment while I was thinking about this and post a hint or useful idea that I do to help me know what size thread is in my stash.

You know once you have started using a ball of thread whether it is wrapped in plastic or like the DMC that has the disc that falls out once you get past a certain stage on the ball, there is nothing that tells you what size thread it is. Well since I use various sizes of thread and my memory has never been as great as I think it should be. I found myself scratching my head wondering if it was a 20 or a 30 thread.:think

To save myself that fustration I simply take a fine felt tip marker and reach inside the ball ( Of Course being very careful not to touch the thread.) and write the size down. It is little awkward to write in there, so I just put a 20 or 30 or whatever size the thread is. Then when I go through my stash I know exactly what size thread it is I have in my hand.

Not an earth shattering tip but one I find useful. Thought you might find it handy.:D

Hi Kathy,

I usually punch a hole in the disc and tie it back onto the ball when I'm done with the thread. This way I know what brand and size it is. For those balls that comes in plastic wrapping only I do what LuCee does, stuff the wrapper inside the ball of thread.

Ferosa

I just always stuff the wrapper inside the ball of thread....works for me....lol

I do the same thing but "fold" the wrapper first. As it tries to unfold itself, it becomes bigger than the hole. Thus, it stays inside the cardboard roll. So far, I haven't lost a single wrapper.

I put the wrapper inside it also.

Never had a problem of it falling out ..........yet:eek .

No one ever told me to do that, but what was funny, i received some very old used threads and didnt know what they were. Looked inside and lo and behold were the wrappers.

I spent years scratching head before I, too, came up with the simple solution of noting the thread size on the inside of the roll.

Another simple hint - I use an empty blank CD spindle as a "ball of thread" holder. The thread is easy to control and doesn't roll onto the floor. (And, yes, I had the damn things floating around for years before I made a connection between CD spindles and crochet).

Me, too. My three year old is trying to sabatoge my efforts, though, and takes it out 'What is this?' 'Put it back in there or mama won't be able to remember what size thread it is...' 'What is it?' :lol

I just always stuff the wrapper inside the ball of thread....works for me....lol

This is great! I was just organizing my thread and realized that I have partial balls and no idea the size! I do have other complete balls to compare it to, but I notice that size 30 and 40 are very similar. From now on I'll remember to write the number on the inside. Life has just reduced a little in stress and worry!

~ Lori

For holding my thread such as Aunt Lydia's and such, I use a marble paper towel holder that I only put one layer of the marble pillar on when I put it together. I picked it up at Bed, Bath and Beyond years ago. I like it as it is heavy enough not to move around when I give a little tug. That and it looks very nice even when it's not in use. Which around here is rarely.

For the cebelia thread I use what is called a fairy light to hold my thread. It is a glass candle holder in two pieces that has a hole in the top for the smoke to come out of. I just put my ball of thread in, run the end through the hole and away I go. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. I have quite a collection of them. Since I am prone to work on several projects at a time I use them all. I even have one just right for tatting thread.

Great ideas! When most of my thread was #10 and white or ecru, I just pitched the wrappers, but now it's starting to get confusing. It didn't even occur to me to stick the wrapper in the middle--right now I have balls of thread in grocery sacks with the wrappers floating around in there because I didn't want to get confused about what was what. This sounds much simpler!

Thought I would be nice and post a picture of a couple of my fairylights. They do work well. Of course all my kids are grown and I don't have to worry about someone breaking them.

Fairylightsagain.jpg

Also including a shot of my paper towel holder.

holder.jpg

Marv is making me mulitiple holder for the larger balls of thread. Just working out a few kinks on the design.

I use a paper towel holder, too. Wood one I got at Wal-Mart for less than $3, I believe.

As for the wrappers, mine have all been 10 so far so no biggie although I do have the wrappers still.

I was thinking why not slip number beads onto the thread and just slide them up as you work, or put them back on when you're done. You'll have to secure it when not using, of course.

Thought I would be nice and post a picture of a couple of my fairylights. They do work well. Of course all my kids are grown and I don't have to worry about someone breaking them.

Fairylightsagain.jpg

Also including a shot of my paper towel holder.

holder.jpg

Marv is making me mulitiple holder for the larger balls of thread. Just working out a few kinks on the design.

Thanks so much for the picture of the fairy light. I had no idea of what they were before your picture..........and I actually have 2-3 in the cupboard. I'll try one for my thread!

• 1 month later...

Just spotted this thread and I thought someone might like to know that I just ordered a wrist thread holder for the small balls like Cebelia. I ordered it from The Yarn Yard II and it was $8. I'll post back when I receive it.

I also bought a thread holder on ebay that looks sort of like a hangman's pole. A piece of wood is inserted into the ball (better for Aunt Lydia size balls) and then dangled from the hangman's noose. Works GREAT. I can crochet so much faster when I don't have to continually stop to give a tug.

Karen

Archived