donnalynn2

How do you get it varigated?

Ok, I have never dyed yarn before (but it's something I'm wanting to do this year) and I'm wondering; how do you dye yarn and have it all different colors?

Any tips or do/do nots for the beginner???

THANKS!

I recently watched an episode on DIY's "Knitty Gritty". They had an entire episode on dyeing yarn (which I'm also going to give it a shot this summer) on how to dye using various methods. It's pretty informative. You can go to the website and print out the different methods. Found the site - here it is:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_40463,00.html

The last item is on varigated yarn. Looks pretty easy. I can't wait to give it a shot! Hope it helps. Good luck!

Tara

I just kinda pour into different sections and use a plastic syringe. I soak the yarn first in vinegar and warm water and then put the hank into a plastic zip lock and pour the different dyes on. Nuke 2 minutes, let rest 2 minutes, nuke 2 minutes and voila-variagated yarn. Check out my blog post from today, it has some.

Ok, I have never dyed yarn before (but it's something I'm wanting to do this year) and I'm wondering; how do you dye yarn and have it all different colors?

Any tips or do/do nots for the beginner???

THANKS!

It's a matter of painting sections of the yarns to get different colours...the links provided are good ones or if you want variations in the same colour, it's a little different process...and you can work with dilutions to achieve that "look". Depends on what you prefer. I've had success with both ways...my blog has a "dyeing" category to look through if you like.

I was taught to dye with commercial dye. We measured out lenghts of wool roving into 100gram lots. We then laid a long length of plastic wrap on our table(with newspaper underneath) then laid the wool in an 's 'shapeand pulled it close together(like a sausage). We had a large plastic drink bottle with a small amount of dishwashing liquid and some vinegar and then filled with water. We squirted this over thw wool till it was fairly wet. Then we had about ten different dyes made up in margarine containers and house painting brushes for each tub of dye.We then proceeded to DAB the colors we wanted in strips until the wool was saturated on one side,then we rolled the plastic wrap over our wool and made a sausage. Then smacked it till we could see it was through to the opposite side, turned up the ends of the plastic and put our sausage into an icecream container then nuked it in an OLD microwave for 4 minutes each side. We then put the sausage on the cement outside till it cooled. Unwrapped the wool rinsed it in clean water until the dye stopped running then put it in a bucket with some fabric conditioner and hung it to dry.That day i had the most colorful washing line in town.Multi colored strips of wool flapping in the breeze i wish i had a photo.

this is probably a dumb question, but does the yarn have to be wool in order to dye it?

I Kool-Aid-dyed some Knit Picks wool yesterday. I used grape, but the purple was blah, so I wrapped small sections of the hank with acrylic yarn and overdyed with cherry. It's a nice variegated red/purple now. By the way, I had read to use 1 packet per 1 oz. of yarn, but it worked better to use 5 packets per 3.5 oz. hank.

I would like to know as well what kinds and brands of yarn yall have used to dye? anything yo ucan get at wallmart?

this is probably a dumb question, but does the yarn have to be wool in order to dye it?

The dye that's in the Kool-Aid can only bond to protein fibers (wool, mohair, alpaca, silk) or protein-like fibers (nylon).

It cannot bond to cotton, Linen, any other plant-based fiber, or to Acrylic.

Hope this helps!