Not a New Crocheter, but New here...

Guest dulcimers

Guest dulcimers

I'm a long-time crocheter. Started when my very special great grandmother helped me make a crocheted potholder for a wedding present. I was only four.

For some reason, I put my hook aside until that grandmother passed away. I was 21 at the time. Reviving my crocheting seemed like a good way to honor her, so I started crocheting and tatting since both were crafts she was very good at, and she was concerned that those skills would be lost forever.

I've taught tatting and most other hand arts in adult enrichment programs. I also knit, and do machine knitting.

I prefer fine thread crocheting over all the needle arts .. the finer the better.

I just posted a "warning" in the "Get To Know You" area.. Figured that was a good place to put it. Actually it's kind of a funny experience, but very real. A few years back, I sat on a crochet hook and it lodged in my fanny and I couldn't get it out. It was on an plane and I was in front of all the passengers. Try as I might, I couldn't extract it from my bun. (It was a size 9 steel hook and it was embedded to the flat part of the hook.)

I ended up none the worse for it but I did have to get a tetanus shot.

I have a stash of crochet cotton that is unequalled. I have bought out whole stores. Seriously I have hundreds of balls... especially DMC 10 - 20 - 30 - 50 - 80 - 100 weight cotton - I know there's no way I can use it all in my lifetime, but I love having it in reserve, just in case. I have hundreds of old Coats and Clarks crochet books, the old 10 cent ones especially those from 1910-1940's.

I'm currently working on a delicate huge filet crocheted table runner (size 30 ecru cotton), a large tatted doily, burgundy tatted edging for a historic costume, and several other projects.

Oh, yes, and I'm currently working on a very fashionable poncho/capelet made of Lion Homespun and I just finished a knitted fun fur boa.

I'm 62. In June, I retired, so now I have the time.

I'm also a folk musician. My husband and I play hammered dulcimers.

As a duo, we entertain a great deal and we run our local performing dulcimer club! I'm webmaster for several music organizations and plan hammered dulcimer festivals in Michigan. (I'm workshop chairman for the world's largest hammered dulcimer event.) You can read about us, our interests, the festivals and events we work with, and my dulcimer selling business at http://dulcimers.com. Oh, ya, and I'm a computer nerd. I've been doing this computer stuff since personal computers first started and internet stuff since you were all just kids.

That's about all there is to know about me..

I hope I can contribute to this crochet community.

I know I'm the senior citizen of the group, but I have a lot to share.

Sharon

aka dulcimers.com

Hi, Sharon! Welcome to Crochetville! :welcome Glad you joined us! :grouphug Thanks for sharing so much with us about yourself! :cloud9

You can send a personal message to anybody here (as long as they have their ezInbox enabled, which most people do) by clicking on the person's board name (to the left of their post) -- their profile page will come up, then click on Send me a Message! :))

Welcome Sharon!!!

I love the hammered dulcimer and folk music as well. My parents gave me a Cripple Creek (lap) dulcimer when I was 16 and I took a few lessons. I learned Blowin in the Wind and Silent Night...but I still love to mess around with it.

You did not tell us, how you got the hook out, how horrible for you. Also do you ever sell any of your thread. I am looking for an anitquie gold thread , assuming size 10, pattern calls for "antique lace color (gold) it goes over a light yellow. This is for Miss October , the Antebellum doll dress collection from Annies Attic, I have search on line and can not find anything anywhere. If you could help or suggest I would love to hear from you.

Archived