2005 Crochet Pattern A Day Calendar

settler

Everyone is losing site of what the calander is. It is a novelity like the Far side Calendar.

Do you laugh at all the jokes? :think No of course not. Do you see repetition?:think Sometimes.

Let me ask this? Did you buy the calendar expecting to have fantastic patterns everyday? If so, you will be disappointed. When you buy a crochet magazine do you like every pattern in it? I bet you have bought a pattern book or magazine for one pattern only.:D

Some bought the calendar because some friends & members on this board have a pattern in it. Some bought it because like Elizabeth said you got about 300 patterns for $13.00. :cheer

Granted I do not like every pattern, but it is mostly because living in a warm climite, I have no use for hats, gloves and some scarves.

Hey, just enjoy the fact that there is a calendar for Crochet, and that you know some of the people involved. If you don't like it, don't buy it next year.

Hey gang Life is to short to sweat the small stuff. Enjoy life and enjoy the patterns you like in the calendar.:hook

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m Sydney please don’t be mad at meSydneytheTeddy0052.jpg

Even if I take up Jan 21 to 24… I am still lovable…..and those are the best

days of the year…..even if I say so myself…..my mommy said I am going to

have 2 more sisters…..Madison and Elizabeth

SidneysTeddy.gif

Ahhhh, you're so darn cute - who could stay mad at you??!?!:bheart Anyone who is mad at you, well :neenerto them!!! :rofl

When you buy a crochet magazine do you like every pattern in it? I bet you have bought a pattern book or magazine for one pattern only.:D

I think that perhaps US crocheters don't realise that in the UK there is not the selection of crochet patterns and magazines that you are used to. In fact the selection in UK is extremely poor, not many are published here any more. In any wool shop if you found half a dozen crochet patterns you'd be doing extremely well. I know of one shop in the UK where you can buy from a good selection of crochet patterns; only because they are imported from the USA. As for magazines; there is one and it is thread only.

So I can understand the excitement that preceded the buying of the calendar and the disappointment that followed. Also UK taste in crochet is a little different to US taste.

I just wish I could afford to come to the USA on a pattern buying trip, it would probably cost me a fortune both in buying patterns and in excess baggage :eek

Hope I haven't inflamed the situation that was not my intention at all.

That's not a huge percentage, really. Let's see, 365 patterns. If 24 of them were scarves that is 24/365 or about six percent. I don't remember if some of the patterns went over a day's worth -- I get the origami calendar too and sometimes they use a pattern from the previous day and build upon it.

There are far fewer than 365 patterns in the calendar. I'm not certain of the exact count, but I know there's only one for each weekend, which knocks out 52 patterns right there, and enough others continue over multiple days that I imagine the true number is maybe 300. And while 22 scarves may not seem like that many, the thing about it is there are far more scarves than any other type of project. More, even, than afghan squares, & thanks mainly to CrochetDude there were a good many of those.

And while I am all too familiar with the delays inherent in the publishing industry, when I look at the issues even designers had (which have been well gone-over here), the calendar as a whole strikes me as something less than professional. It's the quality I'd expect from a fundraiser cookbook, not from something sold nationwide.

Of course, I must qualify all of this by saying that I routinely buy crochet magazines and then make fun of them in my blog and to my husband. So I'm used to buying things either a) to support crochet, with no expectation of getting something useful out of it or b) for one decent pattern out of many.

Considering that I just paid about $5 for Crochet Fantasy, out of which I *might* use one pattern, and I paid about $9 for the calendar (got it at Sam's) and will probably use between 5 - 10 patterns, I think I'm going to pay less per decent pattern this way.

\

And while I am all too familiar with the delays inherent in the publishing industry, when I look at the issues even designers had (which have been well gone-over here), the calendar as a whole strikes me as something less than professional. It's the quality I'd expect from a fundraiser cookbook, not from something sold nationwide.

Of course, I must qualify all of this by saying that I routinely buy crochet magazines and then make fun of them in my blog and to my husband. So I'm used to buying things either a) to support crochet, with no expectation of getting something useful out of it or b) for one decent pattern out of many.

Well, I was able to purchase the crochet calendar well in advance of 2006, so there is that. Meanwhile, I cannot say I have been at all impressed with the crochet magazine publishers. I know that I read about one publisher who got their magazine out late due to delays. I have had difficulty establishing my subscription to another. We all know that the crochet magazines have difficulty with getting themselves into the stores. I saw that crochet calendar all over the place. I got mine at JoAnn's but I did see it at the big chain bookstores too.

I think that Tampa Doll beat me too it, but I was going to ooo and aaaah over the teddy bear that was featured this weekend. There are lots of other patterns that I'm excited about, but that teddy alone would have made my purchase worth it. WAY TOO CUTE!

I bought one for myself and one for my daughter (whom I am teaching to crochet). I guess your purpose for buying the calendar might in part, influence your opinion. My purpose was two fold: I prefer looking at crochet on my calendar for more than many other options available and if I find some patterns I would like to try or tweak then all the better. Mission accomplished!

I really enjoy it and so does my daughter.

i have to add, i not only bought myself one, my dd one, i bought 3 and sent them out on raoks and as gifts and i also just today while at the mall passed a calander booth(you know the kind where they sell right in the mall) and since all their calenders were 4.00 i stopped to look as i can always use another calender as i have multiuses for them, but i also saw sitting on the shelf not 1 not 2 not 3 but 4 of this same calender everyone has been discussing. so i bought them all and now i have 4 more to raok to people.:lol :lol i think its sad that everyone gets so upset when someone says something, although the original poster could have used a little more tact knowing that alot of the designers were on crochetville, but she didn't and its not up to us to be her nanny and tell her to be a good girl and not be rude. so i am glad this issue is over, i for one, while i missed the deadline for 07(i think, please tell me i am wrong about this!!!) i will strive for 2008. to all of you who were published i :clap :clap :clap you. even if it was "another scarf" personally i like scarfs :lol :lol my 2 cents

I didn't really LOVE all the patterns either. But I have used a few of them. My favorite so far was one of the ponchos that was made of two rectangles but you couldn't see a breaking point. I had never thought to use the pattern that way before. Honestly though... Anywhere I've ever looked for patterns I've never liked every single one. Even in some of the new more modern books, there's always a couple you don't like. Most of the time though, I always learn something from a pattern I read that could be a helpful hint for another pattern. If you ask me, just the beautiful squares in the Calendar are worth the money.:clap

I got my Calendar today and with the exception that the box was torn (eBay seller didn't tell me that!) I loved it! I probably spent 20 mins flipping through it and will make several items in it! Although I will not make several items, I believe for the money you can't beat it!

Without repeating alot of what has already been said, I agree with threeolivemartini (sp?)... I feel the price is well worth chance. I too have used 4 or 5 patterns and will be published in the next calendar. And I think this was actually the first year of publication, right? So it can only get better...:manyheart

Without repeating alot of what has already been said, I agree with threeolivemartini (sp?)... I feel the price is well worth chance. I too have used 4 or 5 patterns and will be published in the next calendar. And I think this was actually the first year of publication, right? So it can only get better...:manyheart

Hmmm...maybe people who are complaining about the calendar should get busy and start designing. :think

Hmmm...maybe people who are complaining about the calendar should get busy and start designing. :think

Yep, everyone who doesn't mind giving away their patterns so that someone else can profit can go right on ahead & do that. But like I said to begin with, if I wanted people to have to pay for my patterns, I'd sell 'em instead of posting 'em here.

Hmmm...maybe people who are complaining about the calendar should get busy and start designing.

I've been waiting for someone to say that. Maybe next time you see a movie you don't like you should scoot on out to Hollywood and make one you do. Or write a book, or open a restaurant.

Has no one ever been disappointed with anything in their life, ever? It happens. It's okay that we don't all like the same thing. Some of us never even said we don't like it, just that we're disappointed.

This is just getting silly. It'd be a very boring world if we all liked the same things. :lol

I think the calendar was worth buying for the Dude's afghan pattern alone.

It's very true that you can't please everybody all the time. And like Empress Busy Bee said, it sure would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

I'm sure the first year of producing this calendar was a learning experience for the creator. It's a clever idea and I like the opportunity to support crochet. The fact that it wasn't literally a pattern a day is splitting hairs, IMHO. I'm glad to see some more complicated patterns in there, even if it meant spreading it out over a number of days.

It is unfortunate that the designers didn't get any paid for their submissions. But who knows, maybe the exposure will open up doors for some of them. Maybe in the future, if the calendar does well, the submitters will get a few bucks for their contributions.

do you know what is really funny about this it is actually the 2006 calender i was talking about i never got the 2005 one but you know what its like at the begining of year trying to remember its 2006 and not 2005

I have followed the line of discussion and there is a lot of good on both sides. The more exposure crochet has the better the chance of getting better patterns popping up from all over...that being said...I have a calendar and it is not my cup of tea. If anyone is still curious, I'll be listing it as a swap/trade.

mmm I just read all the posts with interest. You are a curious lot. Settler is brave enough to post an opinion (albeit blunt and in lower case), from far far away Inverness and gets blasted. I have never seen or heard of the calender, and without taking sides, I think some valid points have been made by all.

Now if the calender was being promoted to benefit World Vision or the like, would there have been such a kafuffle? :think ..... oh and I do like the look of that cutesy bear thats been dancing about....so if he was the centrefold then you are all ahead!

Yep, everyone who doesn't mind giving away their patterns so that someone else can profit can go right on ahead & do that. But like I said to begin with, if I wanted people to have to pay for my patterns, I'd sell 'em instead of posting 'em here.

Well, a lot of the people whose designs were published in that calendar had never ever published a design before. How cool is it that they now have been published? I am sure that they are very proud to have been published.

Anyway, I have a friend who edits origami books and although he does create many of his own designs, his books usually include origami creations by other artists as well, always with permission and properly credited. He has not made a fortune from being an author. I am pretty sure that the only compensation these other artists get is a free copy of the book and recognition.

Some of the crochet designers whose creations were published will probably never publish another design again but they can always be proud they were published. But I am sure that we'll be hearing from other designers again and although there wasn't any monetary compensation for them from this calendar, it is something that they can include as a clipping in their portfolio. Maybe some of the crochet designers who got published in that calendar will eventually get their OWN book published.

I think it's wonderful that the original poster posted his or her opinion. The rest of us have been posting our opinions as well. Some of us just really LIKE the calendar and think it was a great buy. I used my JoAnn's forty percent off coupon, so it was only about six bucks. That's an awful lot of crochet projects for just six bucks, which is the average price of a crochet magazine and I can tell you there are WAY more projects in that calendar than in your typical crochet magazine!

origami

Well as you can see I have not been with this site that long and if I got anyone to publish anything I made I wouldn't care if I got paid or not . It's the thought that someone cares and reconized good work. Not that I will ever be as talented as anyone on here. I can make things from a pattern but i don't know if I could design my own. And if any of the people who were published in the calender would like to send their patterns my way I will not refuse them . I am on a tight budget and can not see buying the calender at this time. I think there are a lot of nice people on this sight . That would be the reason that I keep checking every 2 mins to see whats new on the posts. this is to all whom need a pat or a hug or even just a congrads well done. :hug :2hug :flower:day:tup :bheart :nworthy:c9

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this old chestnut but I just got my 2006 calendar which had been lost in the mail! I only paid $5.99 plus S & H.

After reading all these posts I was expecting something very mediocre. It turned out to be very nice. I love the box and the whole concept. Drew's afghan is to die for and some of the other patterns are truly wonderful. I don't mind a lot of scarf patterns since I'm a scarf-a-holic anyway. I think that the concept is inspired and will look forward to next one.

All of you who submitted designs...thanks and great job!:flower

My main reason for purchasing the calendar was to support (not financially but morally) my friends here on Crochetville that had patterns in these calendars. Sure, there are patterns that are free on the net in it, sure there were duplicate patterns just different colors, but that's not why most of us bought/buy these calendars. Not for me anyways. Like I said, it was to support our fellow crocheters/friends. It's fun to look thru the calendar and see how many of the designs are by designers we know. I will continue purchasing a new calendar as long as they make them.

I, for one, was delighted to received the calendar as gift. I'm not sure I would have bought it on my own, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, variety, and beauty of many of the items. It's package in a sturdy box that allows one to use it as a calendar and then save the patterns. I thought it was extremely thoughtful to include an index.

Archived