2005 Crochet Pattern A Day Calendar

settler

This has probably been discussed enough, but I haven't had my say, lol. I had my friend in the USA send me two calendars: one knit a day, and one crochet a day. First of all, I LOVE the packaging. The cover is so cool. I was so excited to see everyone's work in print, and it made me think that maybe someday I could see my own designs in print (which will be the case in the 2007 Calendar).

I think it is unfortunate that there are some errors, and I hope the calendar takes more care next time. I will probably put contact info on my patterns in case of confusion with the pattern.

I gave my mom the knitting calendar and she wasn't so thrilled with it. She said, like some did about the crochet one, that there were a lot of repetition in patterns. Of course this is also the woman that sat through three hours of the Titanic, and when I asked what she thought of it, replied

" I didn't expect there to be so much water." Okay...so didn't she know the story??? This year scarves and hats are in, maybe next year it will be something else.

I think it is a nice little calendar. Is it perfect? Heck no, but at least it has room to grow.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I gave my mom the knitting calendar and she wasn't so thrilled with it. She said, like some did about the crochet one, that there were a lot of repetition in patterns. Of course this is also the woman that sat through three hours of the Titanic, and when I asked what she thought of it, replied

" I didn't expect there to be so much water." Okay...so didn't she know the story???

:haha:laughroll:rofl

thanks for the laugh!

:manyheart I love my Crochet a Day Calendar, I was not lucky enough to get one at Christmas, so I immediately went on e-bay and got it. I am thrilled with it, I love looking through it, I have had it on my side table since I got it. The idea that a group of unpublished crocheters got together and actually made A CROCHET A DAY CALENDAR is history in itself! I have never seen nor heard of another like it. Regardless of the fact that the patterns could be found elsewhere, so what!!! I have no "but" to add to my praise. The squares that Crochet Dude submitted are just killer, the photos are fun, it was done quite professionally and next year, watch out, it is going to be so gorgeous. I have put my order in already. All of you who had submissions, congratulations! I love mine and would not part with it for 10 times the price I paid! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

So there. Put that in your yarn and hook it! LOLOL!

Oh the Mini Purse on January 12 is what I am making now, I even went on the yarn site and got the yarn they suggested. It is really a nice purse!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been disappointed by the 2006 calendar, too. I don't think it's right they advertise it as a pattern a day when a lot of the patterns take up 2 days. It's the 19th and it's only the 13th pattern so far. I've only come across 1 thing so far that I want to make. I'm glad I got this as a Christmas present and didn't spend a bunch of money on it.

In all fairness though, I'm adding that I haven't looked ahead yet, so I haven't seen most of the calendar yet.

Well, whether there is one or 300 patterns that I will use in it, I finally bought one! Since I didn't get it for Christmas I bought one on eBay and should get it soon. I, too, don't just get pattern booklets to use but for inspiration! I love looking at a pattern and trying to figure out how to put "my" spin on it to make for me! I personally cannot wait to get it and peruse all the patterns and will especially love that many of them were designed by my Crochetville friends!

I agree that you can only make so many scarves. Heck, I live in Florida and practically have NO need for one, but all of my family lives up north and I plan to make them scarves every year as styles change.

Thanks for starting this thread, it made me remember to buy it before time ran out and they were all gone!

As they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure!"

I've been disappointed by the 2006 calendar, too. I don't think it's right they advertise it as a pattern a day when a lot of the patterns take up 2 days. It's the 19th and it's only the 13th pattern so far. I've only come across 1 thing so far that I want to make. I'm glad I got this as a Christmas present and didn't spend a bunch of money on it.

In all fairness though, I'm adding that I haven't looked ahead yet, so I haven't seen most of the calendar yet.

You could not have stopped me from looking through the entire thing when I got it...and I looked through it at least 3 times and then one more time yesterday...

Again, I know there are posters here that feel mislead because some of the "days" are continuation of the same pattern...so again, what would be a solution to that? Meaning, just have short patterns, smaller type, fold out pages, what? I'm not talking about the repeats of a theme, but the Part I and Part II type of thing...

Fold-out pages, I'd think. Or call it the "Pattern a Week" calendar. Then, if you wound up getting more you'd be happy. ;)

And I dearly, dearly hope there is something other than scarves in fashion next year. I don't think I could stomach another 20+ patterns for scarves. (Yes, I counted. I am anal that way.)

or even make mulitple pages for a day .. but you knwo what i dont care.. i got over 300 patterns for what 13 dollars?

And again I totally agree with you...and once I went through the whole calendar I just came to the conclusion that even with Part I, Part II on some of the days and patterns that it was still a pattern a day...just that sometimes it was part of the same pattern through a day or two or three...even Origami Page a Day was like that on some of their origami projects...I didn't feel mislead or cheated...

I guess I'm throwing in another gripe here, which I don't entirely mean to do because for the most part I am happy with the calendar...

But - while browsing it the other day, looking for a fingerless glove pattern, I saw one called "Koigu fingerless gloves" or something like that listed in the index. So I go to the date it says it is on - and nothing! The date's a continuation pattern from the day before - and the gloves aren't in there!!

Booger.

I guess I'm throwing in another gripe here, which I don't entirely mean to do because for the most part I am happy with the calendar...

But - while browsing it the other day, looking for a fingerless glove pattern, I saw one called "Koigu fingerless gloves" or something like that listed in the index. So I go to the date it says it is on - and nothing! The date's a continuation pattern from the day before - and the gloves aren't in there!!

Booger.

That would be annoying...

Although you didn't find the pattern you were hoping for in the calendar, did you eventually find a fingerless pattern that you could use?

I don't care, I still want the calendar, but is sold out EVERYWHERE here!!!

I believe you can still order them from the website. If they are all sold out, go on eBay (I just bought mine yesterday off there) and also Amazon.com I doubt you'll find it locally (unless you're extremely lucky) but on line there are several options for getting it. GOOD LUCK! :)

Well I guess I am just to new to Crochet to be disappointed in the Calendar. I just purchased the Calendar on the 16th at Books-Million for 45% off. :cheer So I feel like I got a great deal and I know I wont use all the patterns but I still love the calendar. Just looking at all the things that people have taken the time to make is amazing to me. :clap Theresa

I had an absolute blast looking through my calendar. I'm sure I'll be looking through it all at least once and week and noticing something new(or someone from here or a crochet blog). I like the design of it, the colored pages and the glossy paper. A calendar that will be used for a lot longer than one year.

Quite honestly, I didn't care for it at all. The name of it is incredibly misleading (or am I just naïve that I thought "crochet pattern a day" meant exactly that?), and the blessed thing has nearly two dozen scarf patterns.

That's not a huge percentage, really. Let's see, 365 patterns. If 24 of them were scarves that is 24/365 or about six percent. I don't remember if some of the patterns went over a day's worth -- I get the origami calendar too and sometimes they use a pattern from the previous day and build upon it.

But anyway, I personally LIKED the calendar! And if you take a look at any knitting or crocheting mag, there are ALWAYS scarves in them. I don't make them either, really, as I have no need, but thought there were definitely some good patterns in there. Anyway, it's fun to know that some of the folks here on Crochetville contributed to it.

As for delays, that is how the publishing world works. There are almost always delays.

i actually decided to have a look at the calender again and im of the same opioion anyway i thought i would see just how many patterns were in the "pattern a day" calender

there are 37 patterns over 2 days , 7 over 3 days ,2 over 4 days and i only counted to beg july

there are actually 5 tissuse box covers all indentical a different colour flower on top and and the same glove pattern in january as in december

now im sorry but in this country she would be reported to the trades description you cannot call it pattern a day if it isnt and it sure way isnt , and repeating patterns throught out the calender is down right dishonest in my opinion

I’m Sydney please don’t be mad at meSydneytheTeddy0052.jpg

Even if I take up Jan 21 to 24… I am still lovable…..and those are the best

days of the year…..even if I say so myself…..my mommy said I am going to

have 2 more sisters…..Madison and Elizabeth

SidneysTeddy.gif

I don't say this to poke fun at you. That's not my personality in the least bit. But when you're posting, use commas, periods, and capitols. I had the hardest time understanding what you were saying. It was like one big run-on sentence.

i heard so much about this last year before i went to usa on holiday and was determind to buy one really looking forward to all those patterns

boy when i bought one i was delighted till i opened it

what a disappointment im sorry im sure all those people that got $50 for their scarfs and things im sure must have been delighted but what a waste of money

their was tissues box covers exactly the same i think at least 4 of them yes different colours of flowers on top

lacy gloves i think the picture was there at least twice dont you get it this person is making a fortune out of you and who actually uses the patterns i mean how many scarfs can you make and as for those things that hold we cal them dummies to babies clothes get real

i will porbably get thrown off for this but someone has to tell it like it is

its rubbish with a capital R

I appreciate all those who had something to say that was indeed CONSTRUCTIVE.

Let me point out that there's a world of difference between CRITICISM and CRITIQUE.

The first, criticism, is meant to hurt others and to belittle their efforts. It's aim is to squash one's creativity. It's hurtful, disrespectful, and downright insulting. Nothing is accomplished with critisism, in any venue of life. I.E. "That scarf is the biggest piece of garbage I've seen yet. I've never seen a more horrid color. I can't imagine someone would make that, let alone wear it." In hearing something like that, the designer of the piece might not want to create anything for a very long time.

The second, critique, is meant to say what you like and don't like about something, and support yourself with valid reasoning (and opinions) in an objective format. It's designed to elevate one's creativity through experience. "That scarf is made from a unique shade of blue that doesn't look nice against my skin tone. I like the motif and shell design used to create it, but I don't think I'd use those two in conjunction. It might be too busy together. Perhaps in a different color and with a different motif, that scarf might be more appealing to me."

See the difference?

Here's her email address.

crochetcalendar@modeknit.com

Speak to her directly. My grandmother used to say, "Talk directly to the horse, or risk getting a hoof in your mouth." (I always loved her *distinct* phrases.)

now im sorry but in this country she would be reported to the trades description you cannot call it pattern a day if it isnt and it sure way isnt , and repeating patterns throught out the calender is down right dishonest in my opinion

Archived