How do I make a pompom?

Croshay

Question

4 answers to this question

My grandma was so good at making pom poms, but I could never make mine look as good as hers.

There are a few different things you can use to make them, but they're all done basically the same way.

You can wrap the yarn around your fingers then slide it off & tie around the middle, then cut the sides.

Or wrap yarn around a rectangular piece of cardboard, slip yarn under the wrapped yarn & tie off each side. Or before winding cut out a smaller rectangle inside the larger one and after wrapping the yarn around, insert a piece of yarn through the cut-out rectangle to wrap it around all the wrapped yarn and tie tight.

Or you can make a round pom-pom maker out of cardboard. These are just like the plastic ones you can buy.

I'm trying to make it by wrapping the yarn around a rectangular piece of cardboard since that's the way I used to make them. (I even had a couple pieces of cardboard still in my craft box.) These directions sound like you tie both sides of the pompom. You run a piece of yarn along the flat edge of the cardboard, wrap it around the yarn, and tie in a knot...and then do the same thing on the other side? Is that right? I can't remember doing that before, but maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. :think

Hi Croshay, I know what you mean about not being able to make a decent pom-pom. I had this same trouble a while back. I finally went out and bought a pom-pom maker. It comes in a packet of three different sizes, and you basically wrap the yarn around these hoops, from the middle of the hoop and around the ring. The trick is to use enough yarn too, so that the pom-pom has a nice full, poofy, and more firm round shape. The pom-pom makers are cheap, and well-worth buying. You can usually find them near the sewing accessories items in the store (where needles, scissors, and such are displayed). HTH

I use card board . I cut a circle about the size I want the pom pom and cut a circle out of the middle . cut 2 of the same size and then wrap your yarn around the ring until you can't get anymore yarn through the center , then you take the sissors and cut between the two pieces of card board until you have cut it all the way around . take a piece of yarn and tie it as tight as you can inbetween the two pieces of cardboard around the yarn. Then pull the cardboard circles off the pom pom and then I take it and beat it against my leg or something to fluff it up and then trim it to make it a round as possible. They are very easy to make .Good luck :manyheart

Archived