Hello from Arkansas!!

mc_crochets

Hi, i'm a 25 yr old mother of 3, married for 2 and a half years. I work for walmart, and crochet during my "free" time (usually anytime i'm away from the kids and not working...lunch) I'm a beginner, so far i've started a "granny square" blanket...one single granny square, and i've made 1/2 a pair of socks LOL I'll be working on the other sock today then when i go back to work tomorrow night I'll continue with my blanket. I am using red heart brand in the color star bright umm super saver weight I welcome any suggestions and tips from anyone!!

:wave

Welcome to you:wave

The one tip I have I learned from ruining my first projects. Always leave long pieces of yarn when you change colors or at beg and end of your work then weave them in the back of your work with a tapestry needle so your project won't fall apart.

Guest susieqheart

Hi there Miss Arkansas...:hi .. Nice to meet you. I'm new here too, have only dropped in a few times so far. I decided it was about time I chimed in with my two cents worth! Ha. I am a former Ark gal myself, lived there many, many years. I currently live in Ga, have been here about the last 10 yrs. or so. I still have alot of family living in Arkansas and my own immediate family is there too, they live in the Batesville, Ar, area, and I have more relatives just up the road in the Conway, Ar, area too.

I guess I've lived just about all over Arkansas, from north, south, to middle of Arkansas. Basically I've lived there about all of my life in one place or another. My parents & brother were all born in Ark, two in Newport, one around Swifton, Ark., while my sis and I were both born in Rock Island, Ill., but I only lived there maybe a total of 4 years. All the rest is in South, mainly in Arkansas. Heck, I got married 1st time in Ark, had both children in Ark, PLUS, I got first divorce in Arkansas too. And all in the same town too.. DeQueen, Arkansas! Haha.. can you believe that? Both children graduated from DeQueen High, where their mom, dad, uncles, aunts ALL graduated from too... and now they both currently attend college together at the University of Arkansas, in Fayetteville, Ark, where they also live and share an apartment together. Ha. "Call Then Hogs!" I'm not finished yet... LOL... AND.. they are also BOTH going for their Masters Degree. My daughter is almost finished actually, I think she only has until this next Spring left to go, somewhere in there. She will be an Early Elem. Education Teacher, with a Specialty. My son is persuing his Master's in Chemical Engineering. He is two years behind my daughter Jamie. Oh.. and my son also plays for the Arkansas Razorbacks Baseball Team too, his name is Brian McLelland. He is only about 3rd string, his position is Pitcher or Short Stop, but he only pitched this last season for the Razorbacks, as relief Pitcher. He was actually able to get quite alot of game time in this past season.

And just down the road I have an aunt and two cousins who live in Springdale, Arkansas. I lived in Springdale when I was a little girl also, about a year I think.

I lived in Paragould, Ar, then we moved abt. 10 mi outside of town, to Lafe, Ark., area, which is where I attended school the longest. I finished in DeQueen. I lived in DeQueen about 12-13 years, and when we divorced I moved to Missouri. I was about 28 yrs. old, I believe. That was the last time that I lived in Arkansas. Paragould is about 20-25 mi. from Jonesboro, Ark, I believe, haven't been there in long time. DeQueen is in lower left of state, really close to Texas, only 55 mi from Texarkana, and only 8 mi from the Oklahoma Line. DeQueen is about 20 mi., give or take, from Broken Bow, OK., if not mistaken. Been long time. We used to go over to Hope &Prescott, Ar, a lot, as well as Hot Springs and Little Rock.

I'm also a crocheter, I have been for nearly 30 yrs now. I started when I was about 13 yrs. old, and I will be 42 years old this month. Actually, in only about three days, to be exact. Yucky! :ohdear

I crocheted just like you are, at first, just picking it up when I thought of it, here and there, but never really did make anything at first. Finally I decided I should take what I had learned and do something useful, so one day I finally just sat down and I think I got Crochet Fever or something, because I didn't stop until I had made my first Baby Afghan, just a simple little pattern. At 15, I had finally made my very first Adult Afghan and I was so proud of that.

It was great and I was definitely hooked after that!! And my first afghan was ALSO made out of Granny Squares! :knit

I can knit just a tad, but I am only a beginner really. I started learning at about age 5 or 6 yrs, from an old neighbor lady next door, but I never did stick with it, I was just too young. I wish I would have though. Just within the past month I've picked up knitting needles again and started playing around with it. Hopefully I'll eventually be making my very first 'knitted' item soon too. We'll see.

Anyway, just keep going on with your crochet, do it every time that you can get the chance. One day soon you'll find you have more time to do it, when kids get older, then you'll be making just LOADS of different things. Keep practicing and you will become better and better at it, and also faster and faster at crochet too. I find crochet to be very relaxing, a great stress reliever, besides being able to make all kinds of cute things that are truly useful! I totally enjoy crocheting and have crocheted more in past 8-10 yrs, than ever before in my life, and have made some really beautiful things that I am very proud of, I must say. When you see the things you've made, it really does makes all your crocheting efforts even more worthwhile than they were before. More exciting.

Well,I better stop... especially now that I've written a darn book here. Haha! I am sorry this is so long, I guess that I just got a tad carried away. OOPS! Honestly, it is just nice to see someone that is from a state where I lived for nearly my entire life. It is sort of like home. Ya know?

By the way, my name is Susie, but nearly everyone calls me either Susie Q, or just 'Q', all by itself. I answer to both. Actually, most have been calling me Q lately more and more. Go figure!?! On this messageboard here.. I go by susieqheart.

Take care and again... Welcome! :welcome

And hello to everyone else also!

Later

~Q~

:)h She works at Walmart !!! :faint All that yarn... right where you WORK? Gosh.. isn't that like heaven? :cloud9

Welcome! :hi

Wow, thats lots of moving around in arkansas!! :bounce I currently live in MENA which as you know is your next door neighboer to DeQueen (basicly LOL) But I grew up in Helena/West Helena....and I was born in Flordia (MacClenny)

and live in Arcaida FL as well. I know where just about all those cities are....NW arkansas is what i'm unfamilar with.

Sherry

Archived