Some preemie stuff for charity

ElizaDaisy

Here are some items I've been making for an organization called Angel Hugs that are located in Ontario (you can see my post about them in the charity section).

This is a couple of preemie hospital shirts, the pattern can be found here:

http://www.handmadewarmth.com/1hospshirt.html

hospitalshirts.jpg

And these are two preemie burial gowns. My understanding from a few different sources is that burial gowns are often needed for parents who are struggling money wise and have nothing to wrap their special one in for burial. In some places hospitals are putting the babies in towels or even just a plain paper bag. Unfortunately they don't receive that many burial gowns as people don't think of that or find the thought of crocheting them too sad.

This is a really simple gown that only took me a couple of hours to do but I think it's very pretty in it's simplicity. The pattern can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011108004113/www.angelfire.com/pa3/hop/dress.html

This particular pattern mentions sewing up the back of the gown leaving room to slip the baby in but I've been advised that it's best to leave the gown completely open at the back, which is what I did with the two that I made.

The larger one was made with baby yarn and a 3.75mm hook. The smaller one was made with baby yarn and a 3.00mm hook.

burialgowns.jpg

burialgowncloseup2.jpg

On the smaller one, I edged it with pink baby yarn and added an extra ribbon around the waist.

burialgowncloseup.jpg

I also crocheted a pair of booties for the larger gown. That pattern is found here:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbooties2.html

lynnmax, do you use the same type of pattern? I'm looking for different patterns so that not all the gowns are exactly the same, but I would like one that's pretty quick to work up. As well, do you stick mainly to white? I made a pink one that I'm putting white ribbon on but I wasn't sure it that would be appropriate. I thought about doing some light purple ones and some soft blues, but again - do you think parents would prefer only the white with a bit of colour on the edging?

And do you find it difficult to work on them? I thought I would be okay, but I'm finding that I'm a little emotional about making them.

I just joined the Preemie Protectors. I also belong to CareWear. I haven't made anything in a while, esp. since all my baby yarn is back in Michigan in storage (grrr). But I thought I would put some links here for some gowns. It is a hard thing to crochet these gowns, but sadly they are a need.http://www.crochetnmore.com/preemiegown.htm (one with no arms-maybe you could crochet some arms on?)

Bev's Country Cottage here is a link to the Burial Gown page:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html#Burial

Another burial gown from CareWear:

http://www.carewear.org/patterns/crochet/crochet.cfm?pid=_p30_crochet_burial.cfm

Here's another preemie site:

http://tlcforangels.tripod.com/pknitp.html

Tina

The gowns are beautiful! I would think pale pink or blue would be appropriate too (white may remind some people of a christening gown, and many people don't christen). My aunt's name was Eliza, and it's clear anyone with that name has a big heart (or the name Tina or Lynn!). Bless you ladies for your big hearts! Patty

My daughter was a preemie. She was born 9 weeks early and I almost lost her. It was the worst time of my life!!!!!!!! I couldn't sleep or eat or think about anything except for sitting by her in the NICU after an emergency c-section. I had to make sure she was breathing even though there were so many machines around her that told everyone. I remember she had on a little hat that someone crocheted for her. I wasn't allowed to hold her so I'd stroke the back of her neck while she gripped my other fingers beneath all the wires and cords hooked up to her. I stared at that little hat a lot. To this day it makes my eyes water. Something so simple that a stranger made for my daughter. I don't know who made it so I couldn't say thank you! Just that their loving hands created something to keep my precious daughter warm while she fought for her life really gave me hope.

I wanted to encourage anyone doing this. As a parent that has been through this, it SERIOUSLY makes a difference. I was so weak and worn out with worry that I didn't have the strength at the time to say thank you even if I knew who made it! I just want you all to know that it this is one of the most precious gifts you can make for a person.

My daughter is going to be 4 on the 20th this month (Jan.) and she's beautiful and perfect just like all the other kids her age. You would never guess she was 2 lbs at one time in her life. I still have that hat! I'll never let that leave our family!!!!!!!! So to all of you... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the same kind of gown pattern, leave it open at the back all the way down. I usually make white with a pastel edging, just a crochet edge around the neck and hem. I have made the gowns in pale blue too trimmed with white.

I used to find it a bit emotional, especially if anyone asked what I was making. I had a preemie myself, now he's a big strapping 17 year old so I just think of him while I'm doing them, takes away my thoughts from the wee ones who wear the gowns for burial.

lynnmax, do you use the same type of pattern? I'm looking for different patterns so that not all the gowns are exactly the same, but I would like one that's pretty quick to work up. As well, do you stick mainly to white? I made a pink one that I'm putting white ribbon on but I wasn't sure it that would be appropriate. I thought about doing some light purple ones and some soft blues, but again - do you think parents would prefer only the white with a bit of colour on the edging?

And do you find it difficult to work on them? I thought I would be okay, but I'm finding that I'm a little emotional about making them.

Thank you for the links Tina, I appreciate your help. :)

Lynnmax, I made a couple of pale pink ones this weekend and I'm going to make some light blue ones as well. Like you, I think I'll just stick to the same pattern as it makes it a lot quicker to complete them. I also made a little shell sweater and the cutest little preemie bunny hat, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Patty, that's what I thought as well - that some people might not want the white, but rather a pink or a blue.

Snow, thank you for sharing the story about your daughter. I don't have children and I'll confess that I've often wondered if the little hats and booties I make do make a difference for the parents. I'm more happy than I can say to read your story and your assurances that they do make a difference. :) I'm going home to crochet some more bunny hats tonight. :)

Archived