Dad's Afghan

Chrome Kitty

This is my dad's afghan. It's a compilation of several altered patterns and some of my own ideas. I made the mistake of letting him pick his own colors, which took several months of me making swatches & bringing them to him for his approval. He finally decided he liked TLC Heathers in Port Wine and Lichen. Each has colors of the other blended in to it, they matched his funiture great, and I knew just what pattern to use . . . until he added he'd also like Mulberry:eek . So months later when I finally figured how to work in the color I didn't even want in it, I came up with this. The colors are really off in the pictures, but it's a dark green and a burgundy for the main part and a dark pink/light burgundy for the stripes. It's also kind of hard to see the details, but the diamonds are done in burgundy with green underneath and a rectangle of burgundy in the middle of each diamond which formed a pattern on the back of green and burgundy rectangles. The lighter strips are done in Aran-type Vs with burgundy cables on each side and sl sts next to them. The border is alternating burgundy and green cables which was a pain to do, but totally worth it. I wish the pictures were better.

post-2549-135897404309_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897404295_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897404301_thumb.jpg

post-2549-135897404306_thumb.jpg

It's gorgeous and I love the colours...absolutely fabulous....any chance of you sharing your pattern please? :U

~K

The main part was adapted from Quilted Trellis and the border was from Bargello. Both of those patterns came from Mosaic Magic by Lily Chin. I made some changes to Quilted Trellis, but not enough to be able to post the pattern as my own.

When I found out that I had to add a third color, I got the idea of making it in panels with cables and sl sts on the edges from Irish Trellis in Blue Ribbon Afghans.

The V sts and cables are just basic stitches. I auditioned several different methods of each until I found the one that was just right for this afghan.

WOW :clap You did a GREAT JOB!!:cheer I clicked on the pictures to get a closer look....definitely an excellent pattern for a man!!!

Beautiful work, I love that stitch. I bet your Father is so proud of it!

Thank you all. He is very proud of it and shows it to everybody that comes to his house. He sent me this pic he took with his camera. The colors still don't look true, but the actual colors are somewhere between my pics and his.:P

[/url]th_dadghan.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Very nice afghan! You can tell you put a lot of thought and work into it. I really like the diamond pattern. I've done a border like the one you've done, it is very tedious, but well worth the results! Great job! :clap

Stunnng!!!! It looks so warm and cozy - I'm sure Dad loves it and will use it often. It will now become a family heirloom. You do great work- thanks for sharing !!!!!

Archived