How do you keep colors from bleeding?

kazily

I just started a felted bag with Bernat Lana yarn in a cream color. I'm adding some stripes with Lion Wool. I am worried that the color stripes will bleed into the cream color though. Will the baking soda added to the hot water prevent bleeding?

I know that some of you have felted some beautiful bags consisting of different colors...did you have to do anything special to prevent bleeding if you used light & dark colors?

Thanks for your help. This is my first "real" felting project (other than a solid little case I tried which felted 'ok' but I need to felt that again ---it was just a toe dip into the felting pool lol).

Lazy me, forgot the swatch test before I began crocheting. I could still do that from the other end of the skein I guess...

BTW I am half way through one side of the bag...please tell me that my colors won't bleed in hot water lol!

I've never had a bleeding problem, but then again I generally follow the "rule" of using the same brand of wool for the entire bag. I have used hand dyed with colored wool I purchased and not had a bleeding problem.

Thanks for your experiences. I am just going to hope for the best despite using Lion for the stripes. Normally I have set colors by adding a little vinegar to rinse water (like when you buy a red shirt lol)...I wonder if that would help me more than baking soda since I am using a light & a dark color?

Maybe if you work up a small swatch in the Lion and wash it, you can test it for the colorfastness so you wouldn't have to worry about it bleeding on your project. I'm not sure, but adding stuff to set the color may make it harder to felt your project if it throws the ph off, which is one of the components needed for a successful felting. At least, that's what I recall reading in some of the how-to's.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a little bit of dye run in some felting projects when using light with very dark... but generally speaking, it isn't a problem. Get those dye grabber sheets at the market - they look like dryer sheets. I toss one of those in and it helps a great deal

I felted it & there was no bleeding! I was so happy. I assumed dark & light would bleed a bit on the cream color but it was fine. I used a little baking soda like most felters have recommended. Thanks everyone.

Archived