A NC Newbie

Guest NCAugeriFan

Guest NCAugeriFan

Hey Everyone ~

Just discovered Crochetville this week while "googling". I'm 47 and have been crocheting on and off for 20 years. Unfortunately my skill consists of single crochet and double crochet. And now I want to buckle down and really work on my crochet skills. I would love to make gifts and items for charity. (I love the one for pets). :)h

I bought the book "Crocheting for Dummies" hoping that would help. I actually found a pattern for Sassy Scarf which consists of the following stitches: chain stitch, single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, triple crochet and double triple crochet. Each row was a different stitch. They gave the directions and underneath the directions they described in detail of what to do. And I actually completed the scarf from a pattern last week. I was excited.

But I do have problems with reading and understanding patterns - very frustrating.

I have difficulty with rounds and granny squares. I can do the first round and after that I get so confused.:th

I also get confused about the end of each row...do I crochet in the last stitich or the turning chain of the previous row?

I also bought the video "Crochet from Start to Finish" with Bev Dillon. It is helpful but I still have a lot of questions.

I know several people who crochet, but I'm afraid the ask for help because I don't usually "get it" the first time and I'm afraid folks will get frustrated with me. My husband's cousin's wife is constantly crocheting and she does fabulous work and crochet's caps for chemo patients, etc. And she is a school teacher and lives just around the corner from us. I'm thinking about asking her to help. There was a lady in my church who has been crocheting for 50 years and all the different items she has made - awesome! She showed me a few things but she moved to Tennessee shortly thereafter.

I'm glad I found this site. I hope to learn more and 2005 will be a year for me to go beyond the basics of crocheting - more elaborate afghans, hats, vests, toys, sweaters, etc. I just need lots of patience.

I've looked at the photos everyone has posted and WOW - beautiful work!!!! I hope to someday be able to crochet by patterns and turn out beautful work like everyone here!

Thanks.

Cadie :star

Welcome Cadie! :hi

You are sure to find TONS of help here... and maybe a little bit of trouble too. :wink

:welcome

Welcome Cadie!! :woohoo

I just wanted to add that in the book "Hooked on Crochet" by Candi Jensen (LOVE HER BOOKS) she goes through the basic stitches, yarn and hook basics AND the Anatomy of a Pattern. The book is filled with simple, but modern and sassy projects! I let my neighbor borrow it for about two weeks and now, she's on her second project from the book and doing great!

Just a thought :) Welcome again...you'll love it here!

Donna

Landstuhl, Germany

Hi Cadie, Glad you are here! :cheer2 Somebody here will ALWAYS know the answer to your questions.

Here's another suggestion for a book to help you. when I first started, I got a little help from a friend and then I bought a crochet book for kids. I can't remember the exact name but it has 2 girls on the front and starts out with simple projects and each project builds on the stitches and techniques already learned and teaches another one.

Mostly it just takes practice. Keep it up. :cheer2

Barbara

Guest thewinkybear

Hi There! :wave

I am new here, too. I also have problems following patterns. I can't keep a stitch count in my head while crocheting but I am determined to learn.

I've had a stroke, :loco and so some things like this are hard for me.

What I'm doing right now is just ten-stitch-wide double crochet stitch scarves out of Lion Fun Fur. Counting the stitches in each row is getting easier for me as I make each scarf.

My attitude is to keep on trying :box no matter how hard. If people are unkind and unhelpful :mad I just figure they have a problem, not me.

I want to give you a cyber-hug :hug and encourage you to keep on with crochet! :woohoo

Hi Cadie! :*csheep

You have a neat name!

Welcome to the boards, I hope you get lots of ideas and help so you can do all the crochet you fancy!

Hello Cadie

:wave Welcome

You will love it here...lots of help and great ideas.:idea

Patterns were hard for me too...It seemed like they were written in a foreign language. But before you know it you will be speaking the language of crochet patterns too! :ducky

juanita

Archived