Need color suggestion

Croshay

I'll probably use Red Heart yarn, but I need a color suggestion. I want to make the zigzag/ripple cape at http://www.******/crochet/vesandcap.html but can't decide on a color. I bought some yarn the other day - Red Heart "Sierra" - which you can see at http://herrschners.com/zoomimages.aspx?sku=010527-0422 - and I just love the colors. It's a variegated yarn with colors of rust, blues, and greens...looks very "fallish"! :haha

I like the colors, but now I think it might look too "country" for the cape - which looks sorta "country" as is...so it should probably be in a solid color...and I'm thinking of the ranch red that I saw in the store the other day...not a bright red but duller, I guess like a barn red. I think that might make it look a little dressier, too, to where I could wear it out to places like school, out to eat, etc.

Sure would love to hear some feedback. :ty

I love that verigated yarn but I have never liked verigated for big projects by themselves, looks to busy to me. I have never used this but I hear this yarn is great and it seems reasonably priced. If you used a baby yarn or something softer it might drape better... look at these colors....

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-bernat-satin-yarn.html

I like the sterling, dust and berdoux....

I also like the Sierra, but I have to agree with what Shelain said -- it may end up being too busy for this project. I think that the Ranch Red would look fantastic in this cape. Yep, IMHO, I would go with the Ranch Red. :yes I hope you will post a photo of your cape when you are done -- this looks like a wonderful pattern.

I think it'd be nice in a heather grey or chocolate brown, too. Or eggplant - eggplant is one of those "universally flattering" colors, totally true. It looks great on everyone, and can be dressed up or down.

And I like Deneen's suggestion of Simply Soft. Or maybe Wool-Ease.

:2c

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to Hobby Lobby last night & looked at the Caron Simply Soft, which I hadn't even thought of before reading your posts. I love the feel and the sheen, and I agree that it would probably drape better than the Red Heart. I wasn't too thrilled with any of the colors though; they were all too light or too bright. And I didn't see any of the cranberry that somebody mentioned. I'm gonna go back and look for the Wool-Ease. I didn't see that at all, but I wasn't really looking for it, so I may have just overlooked it. So if I can't find that, I'll go ahead with the Red Heart in Ranch Red. :hook

Thanks a lot for your input.

Simply Soft is very nice, but I find that it does "fuzz" just a little bit more than plain ole RedHeart. Take a look at TLC Essentials.. it's also made by RH.. but is softer.

(I just finished at Hat in SS and it's slightly fuzzy. I'm making the Cathedral Window Afghan with TLC and am very pleased with this yarn.)

I have an idea what to do with the variegated yarn.. use it for the collar and front placket.. OR .. use it with the solid yarn for the fringe.. OR do both.

Hope you'll share a picture of your completed project. It reminds me of some capes we had in our house back in the 70's (2 teen girls and a mom & sometimes grandmom.. what fun!! we shared clothes all the time).

Oops.. forgot to add my comment about WoolEase.

I like Woolease.. gorgeous stuff and works up nicely. I made a really pretty shawl with it (seraphina pattern), but I'm going to have to give it away.

Everytime I wear it my back itches like crazy. I finally figured out it's the wool content in the yarn. I didn't think that having wool a layer or two away from my skin would still be a problem, but it is.

Just something to keep in mind as you chose your yarn. I know not everyone reacts to wool, but for those who do......

Well I decided on Caron's SS in Autumn Red. It's just a half-shade darker than the RH Ranch Red and soooo much softer. I really like the softness and sheen of this yarn.

I started on the cape yesterday and ended up crocheting for about 5-6 hours. That was a marathon for me! I'm up to Row 20! :cheer Can't wait to get this done, and I just love the yarn and the pattern. Hubby even said it looks very classy and he's glad I decided against the variegated yarn.

Wish I could show you gals what I've done so far, but I don't have a digital camera YET....and when I do get one....I'll be posting pictures like crazy. :D

Thanks a lot for your replies and suggestions.

Archived