First time with food colors, love them!

woolandflax

Very nice Rebecca, makes me want to learn to spin, but my boss already said no spinning at work :( even with a drop spindle, so I probably can't until I move some cats along down the road. Got a really dumb dyeing question though. To get more than one color on a skein, how do you do it? I've been trying to fit two or three containers into the microwave, not much luck, but I'm not entirely happy with painting the color on either; even though I think that's the technique to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Kathy, I did paint the colors on using a turkey baster but then I also choose to use a TON of dye and really oversaturate the yarn to get the brilliant colors I wanted. I didn't leave any white spaces between colors really. I used my fingers and really massaged the dye into the yarn and even at the points where the different colors blended together. I was careful though to order the colors in such a way that when they overlapped, it wasn't a bad thing if you know what I mean.

I've been having soooooo much fun spinning and painting these, it's become my weekend obsession, the dyeing that is.

Oh you make me blush! I'm so pleased though. :) Everyone here inspires me so often to be even more creative than I've ever been (to think that this time last year I didn't think I had a creative cell in my body - my little sister is the arty one).

Funnily enough, after seeing yours, you actually inspired me to see if I can fit in some time to dye more roving this weekend! (that is, if the rain ever stops)

Archived