craftimama

Bright & Breezy Spring Purse/Tote Exchange - SIGNUP CLOSED

503 posts in this topic

Patience ladies patience. I am excited also only I turned my excitment into making purses!

I just signed up for the purse/bag exchange. I'm so excited too. This is my first exchange. I can't wait. I was looking for something to do tonight--I guess I'm going to look through my books and magazines and see if there are any purses/bags in there that might be fun to make......just to give me some ideas! Let's get this party started!

:yay :yay :yay

I've signed up too- really looking forward to taking part in a swap again- the holiday one was a lot of fun :)

I've not had much time to get online recently, but I seem to be getting back into crocheting after a well-earned new year break.

I just have one question- what's the difference between a purse and a tote? Over here a purse is what you keep your money in.:lol

A tote is a larger bag you can carry a project in, or if you're like me half your life is in your tote...my current project, a just in case i get tired of that one project, patterns, my hook case, ruler, cell phone, a crochet magazine...... lunch, small purse,

oh and in my case, my diabetic supplies I carry to work each day.

Jimmie Lu....I just noticed your picture that says you finished your 63 square afghan.

I had to chuckle at that. I started mine last March, and it sat in a basket for nearly a year. Just picked it up again last weekend.....I'm on square 6.

I'm not going to let it drop again, but it's gonna be awhile before I can say that it's finished.

What colors did you use for yours? I'm using the off-white, green like the pattern book cover and I subbed in burgundy for the pink. I just don't care for pink all that much.

Hugs! Juli

Made a version of Deneens Marvelous Felted Mini Tote (not felted yet) yesterday, pics on my blog.

Nice colors on the bag Kathy!! :) And your dyed yarn is pretty! Is there a website with instructions?? I have a skein of the dyeable yarn from Knit Picks, but not sure how to do it! Have koolaid, food coloring and jello -- and willing to learn! :) if you know of a url where I can get instructions, I'd really appreciate it. Can't stand seeing that wool skein sitting there all white and lonely.....it needs a little color in its life.

Hugs! Juli

Juli, I don't know where my post went :think but what I suggested was reading the dyeing forum right here at Crochetville. It has a wealth of information, and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Kimberly and Deneen and the others have been so helpful to me. Just get some inexpensive wool and go for it. If you hate the results (not likely) you can always overdye it a darker color.

I don't either.....I remember seeing it yesterday.....and now it's gone. Weird.

Yesterday I got a Knit Picks catalog, and in it is a page giving brief instructions for dyeing with drink mix. I'll definitely go and read the dyeing section and see what I can learn there.

That skein won't be white for much longer!

Hugs! Juli

Made a version of Deneens Marvelous Felted Mini Tote (not felted yet) yesterday, pics on my blog.

Very pretty! I love the colors. Can't wait to see how it felts up!

Joan

I did it Kathy! I got out my food coloring and dyed that skein blue and purple. :) Nice Saturday afternoon project. It's drying right now.....so, now to decide what to make with it!

Hugs! Juli

Well, I made my first purse this last weekend. You can view it over on the accessories show and tell board. I am feeling much more confident and it's only upped my excitement level. I feel like a child waiting to open gifts on Christmas morning. :lol

9 days till I get my partner and counting......yaaaaay!:clap

I have so many patterns picked out now, I don't know which I will do...the anticipation is KILLING me!!:eek

Ok, I can't stand it, I've got to join this swap! I, too, am a swap addict. Loved the first purse I got (and made!), must do another!

Let's see....I just finished a Mini Duffle from Trend Setting Totes and have started the Stylish Shells from the same book.

I did the Duffle in P&C Shaded Denim and the Shells is in Debbie Bliss Cotton Denim Aran in Red/Navy. Let me tell you, the difference between the two cottons is amazing!! The P&C is fairly stiff and makes a solid fabric, but the Debbie Bliss is 100% Peruvian cotton and is SO SO SO soft!! I love that stuff!! I'm going to have to treat my swap partner to a Debbie Bliss cotton purse just so I can feel it slip through my fingers!! :devil

Only five days left for signups......almost ready to start! WooHoo!! I got my hook warmed up and ready to go! :hook

Hugs! Juli

Let's see....I just finished a Mini Duffle from Trend Setting Totes and have started the Stylish Shells from the same book.

I did the Duffle in P&C Shaded Denim and the Shells is in Debbie Bliss Cotton Denim Aran in Red/Navy. Let me tell you, the difference between the two cottons is amazing!! The P&C is fairly stiff and makes a solid fabric, but the Debbie Bliss is 100% Peruvian cotton and is SO SO SO soft!! I love that stuff!! I'm going to have to treat my swap partner to a Debbie Bliss cotton purse just so I can feel it slip through my fingers!! :devil

I just bought that same book!! I am going to make the mini drawstring bag for my sister in law's birthday to start. Aren't those patterns great?!

What is P&C? Sorry if that is a dumb question. I am making mine with Lion Brand Cotton (I have used it for past projects) and I love it. The Debbie Bliss sounds heavenly though. I may just have to check it out online now!

I'm pretty sure P&C would be Peaches & Cream cotton, the kind available at most wal-marts' in small balls and in 1 lb. cones.;)

Yep, P&C is Peaches & Creme--I just bought a bunch more to make Mini Duffles for my kids. Annie's Attic carries it, and this way I know I'll be able to get enough yarn for all four duffles. The kids will use them for overnights, and I'll use mine for the gym.

Peaches & Creme is the less expensive kitchen cotton counterpart to Lily's Sugar & Cream. I've also bought Bernat Handicrafter Cotton and like the feel of that one, too. I've got yarn on order to make the In Bloom--in Shaded Pastels (the flowers) and Pale Green for the rest of the purse. Should be really pretty and spring-y. :flower

Peaches and Creme cotton is made by Elmore-Pisgah right here in Spindale, NC where I live. Their mill is about 5 blocks from my house.

I use it mainly to make dishcloths, and tote bags. But I've heard of people using it for other things. I think I agree that it would be too rough for clothing, but it does come in pretty colors.

Their mill is really neat. If any of you ever come through this way, think about taking a tour. Imagine a huge huge warehouse factory filled with yarn and thread, and all the dye, etc. It's really neat!! Plus they do sell direct -- I buy mill ends all the time.

Hugs! Juli

That does it Juli, if I ever get a vacation I don't have to use for sick leave, I'll definately head your way...I'm way down at the coast and would LOVE to come inland!