CGOA Conference in July 2006

Roli

Well, I had my "first picks" and then a few alternates, since I haven't heard back yet I'll let you know when I know. ;) Did you get your confirmation yet? What are you taking?

My confirmation was not e-mailed "in a timely fashion" so I e-mailed them asking for it and it came immediately. I did get my first picks. Now I have to print out my homework.

I do think there is lots of stuff we will have to bring along: yarn, hooks, scissors, paper, pencil, reading glasses, etc. I heard of someone who brings their own light along, but you'd have to plug it in, wouldn't you? I'm getting old, but I don't think I'd need my lamp unless the classroom areas are really dark.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called them today about my confirmation. The woman on the phone said that it take 3 days from the time they process your registration for the e-mail to come to you. However, after my phone call she "re" e-mailed it and it immediately came. Go figure. :think

The classes I'm taking are:

Basic Fashion Design with Tunisian Crochet

Symbol Crochet Basics

Basic Celtic Lace Crochet

Designing Better Crocheted Fashion Garments

Make Your Own Crochet Hook

I'm really looking forward to this. :) I'm also signed up for the dinner & fashion show.

So, what's everyone else signed up for?

The classes I'm taking are:

Basic Fashion Design with Tunisian Crochet

Symbol Crochet Basics

Basic Celtic Lace Crochet

Designing Better Crocheted Fashion Garments

Make Your Own Crochet Hook

I'm glad you got your confirmation letter. Were these all your first choices?

I didn't sign up for any that you are taking...but I also picked 5. If I'm traveling all the way from Wisconsin, I plan to really dig in and learn as much as I can!

I'm signed up for:

Picots, Puffs, Bobbles, and Popcorns

Spicing It Up with Crochet

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Post Stitch

Crochet Tips, Tricks, and Hints

Stash Busters Crochet

I also will be at the Dinner/Fashion Show. How many will be at our table? Roli, are you keeping track?

I've been to the AAA to get my maps and guidebooks. We are going to take the ferry across Lake Michigan...it takes about six hours...and then drive through to Detroit stopping to see some friends of my husband's. This is going to be a very fun trip for us. My younger son is planning to fly out to meet us in Phillie, so that he and my husband can have guy time while I immerse myself in crochet.

Who-hoo!

Tracey, I'm also signed up for basic symbol crochet! No, Artemis, I haven't actually been keeping track of who's going. I'll post a thread, "Calling All Attendees" about the middle of June so we can nail down who will be joining us. Hopefully, our ranks will swell with time! This is going to be the highlight of my summer!:clap

I just planted the seed with my husband...re: my desire to attend. He is so thoughtful and he was already trying to figure out ways for me to go.

The exciting thing, after reading these posts is that I wanted my husband to learn to make hooks..I didnt realize there was a class for that! hmmmm.......

I dont think he would really want to go and then I would need a sitter for all FOUR of our children!

I am a scaredy cat to go alone though. That would be a big deal for me. EW!

But I LOVE that book.....the shop on blossom street and i think it is sooo great that the author would be there....plus i would LOVE to be able to take classes!

Man, I want to go! NOne of my friends, family are "in to" the needlework crafts like me...so there isnt even anyone I can drag there! ew!

Hmmmm I am rambling here. Thanks for listening.

:blush

I am a scaredy cat to go alone though. That would be a big deal for me. EW!

Man, I want to go! NOne of my friends, family are "in to" the needlework crafts like me...so there isnt even anyone I can drag there! ew!

Hmmmm I am rambling here. Thanks for listening.

:blush

From what I've read on various blogs, the atmosphere is very warm and inviting. Everyone is "into" the same thing, so you already have something in common with everyone you meet.

If you are there alone, don't worry, many of us will be there without people we know. We plan to get together at the reception Friday night (free) and at the dinner and fashion show on Saturday (that has a fee). There are other places we can meet, too.

I do hope you can come. We'll be friends!:)

Artemis

Sahmlock, come join us! Where are you coming from? I won't be too far away in July, just over the border of PA in MD so I only have a 2 hour drive. We'll all meet up and you won't have to worry about being alone. It'll be fun!:)

Thanks for the encouragement!

How many others will be going solo, like me? :( hee hee. This would be a major defining moment for me!:sweat

I got to really examine this further, the fees, the amount of time away from home...the hotel ALONE :faint:scared

I know, I know, I sound like a ::loser

I am going to go breathe in a paper bag!

later

Thanks for the encouragement!

How many others will be going solo, like me? :( hee hee. This would be a major defining moment for me!:sweat

I got to really examine this further, the fees, the amount of time away from home...the hotel ALONE :faint:scared

I know, I know, I sound like a ::loser

I am going to go breathe in a paper bag!

later

No, you don't sound like a loser!

I think it's great that you are even considering it since you have never done this alone before. You'll find when you travel that most people are very helpful. I will be at the hotel with my husband, but he is going off on his own and knows I'll be at the convention day and night.

If you do go, we'll all help talk you through "hotel safety" and sit with you at meals and give you any other support you need.

You'll be very proud of yourself when you are done and will have learned a lot beside a few new crochet techniques!

Let us know what you decide.

Hi Ladies!

I unfortunately have bad news... The date for a large important family get together was chosen last weekend and, of course, it is the same Saturday of the conference. I really shouldn't miss this party so I had to cancel my reservations.

I was really looking forward to the conference and meeting you all. Ah well, maybe next year.

I'll definitely keep up with this thread so I can read all about it!

Oh I'm so sorry, Sarah! But I understand, family must come first. Nevertheless, we'll miss you and tell you all about it when we return.:(

Sorry you won't be able to make it Sarah. We'll take lots of pics and notes to share our newly aquired knowledge. ;)

Sahmlock, I'm going alone too. Don't feel like a loser silly. I've gone to one of these once before, alone, and the people there are so friendly that you don't feel alone at all. And honestly, it's nice not to have to consider anyone elses opinions or schedule when your choosing which market vendor to stalk. :lol

I hope it all works out for you and that we get to see you there! :hook

• 3 weeks later...

I work for a large hotel chain and could possibly look into some discounted rooms...

OH! :cheerOH! :clap OH!!:c9 That would be GREAT!!!! I live about an hour from there - just north of Allentown/Bethlehem here...

Table for three for Roli, BY&BH, and Artemis!

Can we make it a table for four, five, or six?

Can I get in on the dinner???:ghug

Ya know, I just realized all these posts are from a MONTH ago! Will have to see if class I want and room are still available!

Sparkles,

BY&BH can't make it because of a family reunion. Check the CGOA website for registration information. I know that the two hotels at the convention center were almost booked when I registered but I'm sure that there are others available in the area.

You have to register for the dinner and we'd love to have you join us.

Around the middle of June I'll post a "Calling ALL CGOA Attendees" type of thread to see who is still going. Then we can PM each other for meeting places and times.

Around the middle of June I'll post a "Calling ALL CGOA Attendees" type of thread to see who is still going. Then we can PM each other for meeting places and times.

Roli, thanks for being the unofficial coordinator of this. I do hope we can have a nice tableful of Villagers at the dinner. It's going to be a wonderful experience...learning in classes, drooling over fibers, meeting new friends...I can't wait!

Artemis

:yay :yayGUESS WHAT!!!:yay :yay

I was telling my DH about this today, and a bit later :manyhearthe came to me with a paper confirming a CGOA gift membership in hand! Am still looking into class and hotel... but had to say something right away:yes

Won't be able to do all 4 days since I just started a new job this week, but will be able to drive down Sat. AM

:yay :yayGUESS WHAT!!!:yay :yay

I was telling my DH about this today, and a bit later :manyhearthe came to me with a paper confirming a CGOA gift membership in hand!

What a wonderful guy!

We'll see you there whatever days work out for you!

What is CGOA? It sounds like a big crocheting "fair"!!!How can I find out what cities it will be in? I would like to see if its going to be near me!!!

CGOA is the Crochet Guild of America. Their National Conference is being held in PA in July. I wish I could go but it is just not going to happen this year.

You can see more about CGOA at their website, www.crochet.org .

Archived