CGOA Conference in July 2006

Roli

Have any of you ever been to one of the CGOA conferences? I'd like to go this year since I will be near King Of Prussia, PA but I wish I had more information about the event. The website doesn't tell you anything aside from a few pictures of past conferences.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the one in Rosemont, IL in 2003. It was great. Great classes to choose from, lots of interesting people, a great market to buy stuff from, and lots more.

If you go, find out the supply list and make sure you have plenty of things with you for making your projects. I had a box of yarns, hooks and other things with me.

You will have a blast. I know I did. If you can stay overnight and go to the fashion show, do so. It's fun to see what people make and show.

I even met Lilly Chin at the luncheon. It's so great to go.

Linda:cheer

I went to the one last year in Oakland CA, had so much fun & learned a lot . I had a chance to meet several of my crochet cyber buddies, as well take classes with some of my favorite crochet designers. There were crocheters with all levels of experience & a good variety of classes. And then there is the Fiber Market with all the wonderful yarns, books, hooks, & more. A dangerous place if you are on a budget :). In the evenings, there various dinners & events you can attend. There were people busy with hooks & needles just about everyplace there was a chair or bench.

Alosha

Bring a lot of money so there will be no regrets. They have so many venders, from handspun wool, handmade wooden hooks, all varieties of yarns, books, patterns, etc. Start saving your money now for it. :cheer It's just so amazing to wander through the hall and see so much all at one place. It's like you died and went to Crochet Heaven. It's amazing. :c9

I wish I could go to that one, but I guess I have to wait until it comes back to Chicago. :) Don't know when that will be, but I will be there. Maybe in another 10 years or so. Maybe I should start saving now.

One special memory I have, is that the money I used to go, was from my birthday, from my mother-in-law who passed away. So it kind of made it extra special, knowing it was a gift from her, my last gift. I miss her.

Linda:cheer

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry about your mother-in-law. My mother-in-law gave me a set of steel hooks in a small leatherette pouch that had belonged to her mother. I don't do much thread crochet but I love having them in my supply bag, sort of like a lucky charm. Mom is still very much with us and we often compare notes on crochet.

I guess I'll have to use some of the leftover yarn in my stash and save my craft budget for the conference!:idea

I just joined the CGOA! Woo Hoo! I'm hoping there might be some info about the conference in the packet I'm suppose to receive. But if not, I'm sure I'll benefit either way by joining.

Even though the conference center is 6-1/2 hours away for me, I too am thinking about going. Good way to kill a few vacation days... don't ya think?! :c9

Hi andiM... If you decide to go please pm me. Maybe all of us cvillers could meet somewhere.:)

Will do! :cheer

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, girls. I am scheduled to go to the convention in July. I am thrilled! My husband and I are driving out from Wisconsin, but then he is going off by himself for a few days so I can immerse myself in yarn. Let's plan on getting together.

I'm planning on attending, too as I only live about an hour away in the Reading area. Would be great to meet up w/anyone from the board-maybe some in the area would be interested in carpooling?

Sounds like we're getting a group! I will be in Freeland, MD, right on the PA line and about an hour from King of Prussia. Hubby wants to go but I might be able to talk him into doing some sightseeing in Philly! I hope we'll be able to get more info as the day draws closer. The website is so vague.

Yay! I've been thinking about this constantly since yesterday. :hook

I even made an Excel spreadsheet to compare the costs of different means of transportation! I could drive, fly from Burlington, VT or fly from Manchester, NH. I have a friend that is from Philly and I'm trying to talk him into a trip to see his parents in July so he could split gas $ with me.

I work for a large hotel chain and could possibly look into some discounted rooms...

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to go to this conference. I live in Maryland and it would be about a three hour drive for me. I am just starting to crochet (and I'm really enjoying it) but was wondering if I could benefit by going. Are these conference geared only towards experienced crocheters?

Sidne, I don't know the answer to your question but I imagine that there will be plenty for inexperienced crocheters to see and do. From what I understand, there will be wonderful yarn and great gadgets for sale as well as workshops and a fashion show. I hope you decide to go. Where are you in Maryland?:think

I'm in Beltsville, Maryland. I'm already a yarnaholic so I could possible go deep in debt being in a room full of yarn and gadget exhibits! I frequent Joann's, Michael's and A.C. Moore every weekend. I just love the fact that they are not far from me. I know I would enjoy taking classses and seeing a fashion show. I checked out the CGOA website and the list of crochet classes scheduled for the show is not up yet. It says "Coming soon..." I guess I'll determine whether I'll go or not by the classes that are offered.

• 2 weeks later...
HEY ALL-- I'm nearby too, but not yet a member of CGOA, do you have to be amember to attend? Does the conference have a registration fee? Have you been happy wtih your membership?

Hi,

I think it is that if you belong to CGOA you get free admission. You may want to check out the CGOA website for further details.

• 2 weeks later...

They finally posted the classes and more information about the weekend here.

I'm not sure if I want to spend my money on classes or on yarn/hooks.:think A couple classes looked interesting to me.

I definitely am going to the dinner/auction on Saturday night.

some of these classes do look really good. I'm not sure i want to spend the money-- will have to talk to the hubster, but I went ahead and checked with firends to see if they'd be interested--splitting hotel fees sure would be nice!

I would love to go to one of these but I won't be able to go to either one coming up. Both PA and CA are too far away for me. However, now that I think about it, my best friend lives in San Diego and depending how far Oakland is from there I could use this as an excuse to go visit her! :devil Ok, snap back into reality Donna! Where will you get the free time and money for this???? :(

Thanks for the update, Sarah. I'm a bit shocked at how much those classes cost. I plan to go but will probably only take one or two classes. I was hoping to spend most of my money on yarn and hooks! :)

Being pretty new to crochet, I'd never even heard of this show... so thanks to the person who started the thread. We've been to King of Prussia in the past, and it's a drivable distance for me. Depending on what else is going on this summer, I might just go to it. Some of the classes sound really interesting.

Joan in CT

Archived