Hat-a-Week

Croshay

I found this on the web regarding head sizes.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/head-sizes.html

Hope this will help someone.

To those who regularly make hats, I have a question. I've almost decided that I need a headform or wigstand to photograph my hats on (my kids are getting reluctant to model).. any suggestions on a good place to buy one from.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this idea....I was thinking of crocheting hats from my local cancer care center as my Mother passed away this past July from breast cancer. All the patients as well as the nurses were so nice to my mother and I thought that donating something other than money-which I have done in memory of her-would be a great thank to. Even the nurses can wear them.

I like the idea of a pattern posted each week as well as having the choice of doing one of your own as well.

I most likely will use the posted pattern since I dont really have alot of crocheted hat patterns, I have more knitted hat patterns in my collection.

This idea will get me not only motivated as well as encourage me to crochet those hats and have alot to give to the center at Christmas time.

Count me in too!

Thanks so much for this great idea Croshay:) BTW, I love your name;)

I am going to get started on Dots pattern right away!

Bren, I like ear flap hats, too. I wish I could show you all the one I made for my toddler. It's bright pink and has ear flaps, and I did a couple rounds of sc's with Twister yarn right above the ear flaps...then I made her a matching pair of mittens with the Twister yarn around the cuffs. It's an adorable set and people comment on it everywhere we go.

Hope you're getting over the bleach on your hands! :hug

Croshay

TINA - You're doing the UBW hats in "a few hours"? Hmm...I can do one without the brim in about 25 minutes and then add another 10 minutes or so for the brim. Are you having trouble with the pattern? :think

JEN - I'll try to post patterns each week or maybe every other week. I get SUPER busy at times, so I can't promise I'll be able to do it every week. But I'll do my best, and I'll try to get into the habit so I'll remember.

Also, about the child's version of the UBW Hat - on the round where you increase to 36 stitches, I only increase to 30 stitches, and I only work 7 rounds of dc and then 1 round of sc...and I haven't been putting cuffs on those. I've made 2 like that, and they actually fit my toddler...so I need to improvise again and make a size in between that one and the adult size.

GINNY - Loved your red and white UBW hat. I made a candy basket similiar to that (one strand of red and one strand of white WW yarn) at Christmas that turned out really cute. Thanks for posting your picture. I hope everybody will post pictures of their hats when they can.

LISA - Sorry to say I don't have any idea where to get a wig stand. Maybe a beauty supply store or even a beauty college could tell you.

MICHELLE - I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I also lost one of my best friends to cancer this past September. It stinks. :worried

EVERYBODY - I forgot to mention there's also something else that I do differently on the UBW hats. On the next to last round, I TURN so that my last 2 rows face the right side when the cuff is folded up. On the first row after I turn, I do that row of dc's in the back loops only (as you're looking down at the hat, with the right side up) to make kind of a ridge where the hat folds up. Hope that helps.

I also wondered if anybody will be knitting :knit any of their hats! I'm working on a knit hat now for my hubby, but I'm gonna write up the pattern that I made up the other day - crocheted :hook - so I can share it with you all...so that'll probably be the pattern for next week. :yay

I'm snitching your Hat a week line... anybody have a button design ?..Marlo has a cute hat pattern on her site for kiddos... I made one in light pink for my neices and trimed it in eyelash and then made a matching scarf.... I love doing hats because I don't have to think much while I'm doing them.. great TV or computer projects ~smile~

I wasn't sure if that was allowed? I would like to knit one occasionally if the option is there. :shrug

Also, to the person who asked about the head stand --Lisa -- Check in you telephone book for a wig store, they sell the little styrafoam heads -- Or I saw some on Ebay a while ago -- Do a search for styrafoam head and you will get some results.

Oh, blast it! I can't figure out how to spell check, ya'll just have to live with my misspelling of styrafoam:bang

TINA - You're doing the UBW hats in "a few hours"? Hmm...I can do one without the brim in about 25 minutes and then add another 10 minutes or so for the brim. Are you having trouble with the pattern? :think

Nope, not having any problems.... I guess I just crochet slow... LOL

Plus I always have distractions - kids, husband, dogs, phone ringing.....

I am pretty much a newbie crocheter too, so that could be why it takes me longer.... I still enjoy the pattern! I will have to make another one and see just how long it REALLY takes me now that I have a little more "hook time" in :D

Tina

I finished the WBU or is the UBW hat this morning. Everyone is right, it is warm. I'm really excited about crocheting a hat a week. I wish I could post a picture but I don't have a digital camera and even if I did I wouldn't know how to get the picture posted. You'll just have to trust me that I made the hat. :devil

I like this idea, too.. although.. what is a UBW hat? I've been making beanies and newsboy hats and giving them away as Christmas presents. I average about a day or 2 on a hat. Here's the newsboy I made, although I pulled it down a little over my ears, so it looks like a toque.

member_540322.jpeg

This hat goes pretty quick and is easy to do. I was wondering, though...what type of yarn do you all use to make hats? I live in SoCal and although it doesn't get too cold, it does get warm. The one I made in the pic is a mix of acrylic and wool. I'm looking to make a few more for family in Canada...What do you suggest?

Nope, not having any problems.... I guess I just crochet slow... LOL

Plus I always have distractions - kids, husband, dogs, phone ringing.....

I am pretty much a newbie crocheter too, so that could be why it takes me longer.... I still enjoy the pattern! I will have to make another one and see just how long it REALLY takes me now that I have a little more "hook time" in :D

Tina

I have the same issues Tina and it took me about a couple of hours to do the hat. I think I'm a slow crocheter though, but I'm ok with that. As long as it looks ok in the end then I'm happy!

Loved the patern for the UBW hat and I think this will be the hat of choice for me to use for donating to charity. I was able to work up 2 of them in under an hour tonight while watching TV. I could get a lot of hats done to donate and they are functional and very warm. Love it!

I forgot to include in my last post that I do plan to knit some hats. But not by hand I recently bought a Knifty Knitter Loom Set and I plan to make hats on that too. I haven't learned how to use the loom yet so I'll let you know how things go. I can't wait to start on the next hat.

I just bought the Knifty Knitter set at Walmart the other night, it is FUN! I made a baby sized hat, my 9 year old daughter made a hat (that fits her), and I am now working on a fun fur scarf using my FREE Disco (Jungle Jive) and a silvery (No Boundaries brand) fun fur yarn; 2 strands held together (one of each)

Tina

Good morning, everybody! :hi Glad to hear some of you are already busy on your hat-a-week. Here's a cheer :cheer for the ones who've already finished their first hat for our crochet-along!

I'm painting my kitchen today, so I won't be online much. I'm hoping to have it done by the time my hubby gets home so I can surprise him. I'm scared to death of heights, and I've already had to take a break once from the ladder just putting the tape around the ceiling...so wish me luck...this might take longer than I had thought. :blush

MINWIFEOF4BOYS - I don't know about a button design. I'm not a computer person, but maybe someone else here knows more about that. Also, you mentioned that Marlo has a cute kid's hat pattern on her site. Would you mind posting the URL?

SSWJ - Sure we can knit our hats! I'm not trying to enforce a bunch of "rules" but just make this a fun crochet-along so we all end up with a bunch of HATS at the end of the year. :wgrin I'm working on a knit hat now for my husband, and I had forgotten how SLOW knitting is compared to crocheting. :eek

KTORNATOLA - :welcome to the group...glad you decided to join us!

KARIN4CHRIST - I don't have a digital camera either, but I always enjoy seeing everybody's pictures. If/When I get the job I interviewed for recently, a digital camera is near the top of the list of things to buy. :wink I don't know anything about the knifty knitter loom set...maybe you can fill us in once you get the hang of it.

AZIANDOLL - The UBW is a hat that we're working on this week for our crochet-along. You can find a link to the pattern at http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/35.html. I couldn't see your newsboy hat real well from the picture but please keep posting pictures of your hats when you can. Sorry I can't advise you on what kind of yarn to use; I usually use Red Heart yarn because of the price and availability. Maybe some others here have more experience with different yarns, and you could also post a question on the Yarn forum on this site.

TINA AND GINNY - It's fine that your UBW's are taking longer than some of the others. The main thing here is that we're having fun and making some great gifts or items for charity.

THERESA - How cool that you can whip out 2 UBW's in less than an hour. I also think it's an ideal pattern for charity. We could always work on these in between or on the weeks I don't get to post a different pattern.

My personal goal for hats this year is 100 by Thanksgiving, but we'll see how that goes...it's early yet... :wink

Well I guess I better get back to my kitchen...I don't think those walls are gonna paint themselves. :wink

Here is my first UBW hat. It is more purple than blue. Made with RH purple and variegated blue & purple from my stash. I added a picot edging - thus I am calling this me Goober hat (Remember Goober from Andy Griffith? :D )

UBWhat.jpg

I rarely make hats cause of the size issue and when I do, I dont' typically use a pattern. I've not come across charities that take hats, a hat a week is 52 hats!! What charities are you all finding that take hats?

I like the idea of posting patterns from time to time, but options are always good in my book. Hats are a good way to use up yarn, but I think before jumping on the band wagon I would like to know a charity where we all could donate our hats so we know they are actually wanted and used. Not trying to be a downer folks, but none of people I've had close touch with as they were going through chemo wore crocheted hats. Ball caps some, scarfs LOTS.

Currently working on scarfs for The deadline for The Red Scarf Project for The Orphan Foundation of American is coming close, and they are really really behind the eight ball with the number they have and the number they need.

Would like to join in, but not just now and would like to know where to send the pile of hats once done, charity wise. Open to suggestions folks.

Thanks for the posts.:hook

I know that homeless shelters take hats and scarves to hand out during cold weather. Also many churches have homeless outreach programs.

I know that shriner hospitals take hats (along with many other homemade items) to hand out to their patients.

Pineridge takes them, too!

I think one would be surprised at the number of organizations that take caps and hats.

Good luck to everyone! Fantastic idea!:cheer

Archived