Lion Cotton

Croshay

Yes it is... I personally get Sugar N Cream because of the price factor. At my Jo-Anns, a 4oz skein (which only comes in solids at Jo-Anns) is $2.19... A 4oz skein of Lion Brand is $3.99. I can't see spending almost twice as much on the same amount of yarn! Now if you were to get the varigated colors which come in the 3 oz skeins, those are also sold for $2.19. Either way, I think Sugar N Cream is a cheaper way to go.

On the other side of the coin, Lion Brand seems to be softer and they have many more colors to choose from...

Happy hooking! :hook

I went crazy making totes with cottons. :loco It felt good & I built up confidence while perfecting :sofunny my crocheting abillity w/o worrying about splitting yarn (why I gave up trying to learn to knit). I've found no difference. Our local Walmart has cones of Sugar 'N Cream that seems to be much more price effective (don't know the current prices).

I'm glad to know they're the same since the price difference is pretty substantial. I want to make this vest FOR MYSELF :eek and I've already got a big cone of the Sugar 'n Cream so I think I'll go ahead & use that. The vest is actually a knit pattern. You can check it out at http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kkc-vest.html if you'd like. Strange, last night the picture was there but today it's not! :scrachin

Thanks for the info!

Croshay

Is Sugar 'n Cream equivalent to Lion Brand Cotton? :scrachin

Thanks in advance!

Croshay

Well, when it comes right down to it, when you compare weight, it really comes out to be the same price. At least at my JoAnn's and Michaels. I figured out that it's all pretty much the same, just sold in different sized skeins, hence the price differential. So for me it just comes down to what color do I want and how much do I want?

You should know that you can buy Lion and Peaches and Cream online but you can't buy Walmart's online. At least, when I last went to the Walmart site, you could not buy yarn online.

You can buy cones of the 100 percent cotton and THAT is hand's down the cheapest way to buy it! My JoAnn's only sells the cones in white or ecru and same goes for my Walmart -- except they sometimes have a Peppercorn ombre which I think is kind of scary. But if you look around online you can find cones of different colors. Peaches and Cream in a cone will run you between six and ten dollars, depending on where you buy it and if you buy in lots. (I think on the Peaches and Cream site you can buy cones for 6.50 if you buy six cones. So get a couple friends and buy a lot!)

You should know that you can buy Lion and Peaches and Cream online but you can't buy Walmart's online. At least, when I last went to the Walmart site, you could not buy yarn online.

Trimmed the rest for brevity - but I think you were meaning to say Sugar n Cream, right? If I'm not mistaken, Walmart sells the Peaches and Cream line, I'm not sure if they have an online source for that brand. Maybe somebody else knows.

Aside from that, I like the way the Lion Cotton feels when I'm working it up much better than the Sugar n Cream, it's much softer on the hands. At least at the local store level, they have some colors I've never seen in Sugar n Cream that I like, a LOT. So, I guess it really depends on what you plan to make and what colors you are willing to work with for it. Those 40% coupons can come in handy too, to bring the price down on the Lion Cotton, just have to plan your shopping a bit more carefully to achieve maximum savings.

Trimmed the rest for brevity - but I think you were meaning to say Sugar n Cream, right? If I'm not mistaken, Walmart sells the Peaches and Cream line, I'm not sure if they have an online source for that brand. Maybe somebody else knows.

I always get them confused but at any rate, my point was that Walmart.com doesn't sell yarn, or at least it hasn't in the past.

Here's a GREAT article about cotton yarn:

http://www.crochetme.com/Aug_Sept_2005/feat_cotton.html

Elmore Pisgah makes the Peaches and Cream yarn and you can buy it online here in cones: http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/prod01.htm It is very cheap to do it this way if you buy in quantity and there's a good variety of colors.

Lily Sugar and Cream yarn has a website here:

http://www.sugarncream.com/ But it doesn't appear you can purchase it online there.

Hope this helps.

I always get them confused ...

Can't imagine how you could! I mean, it's not like their names are similar or anything, right? :devil:lol

Okay, slap me - I'm getting silly. :loco Time to get out of mischief and go crochet... :hook

Thanks for sharing that article about the different types of cotton yarn! I'm knitting :eek some face cloths for my great aunt in Bernat Cottontots, and thankful for the info that was written in there. I wanted them to be extremely soft and non-evasive.

Archived